If we dont sign Fleming/Waddle, what is the plan for OL?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It would be a bad idea to move Collins back to LG and rely on Fleming at RT. We should still sign Fleming though. He'll likely end up playing quite a few games with Smith's back problems. Keep Collins at RT, sign Fleming as the swing tackle, and draft Hernandez or someone in the 2nd capable of being the day one starting LG. Rookie tackles struggle far more than rookie guards. You won't find anyone in the draft or free agency who will be a better RT in 2018 than Collins.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I was on board with signing a young RT like Fleming/Waddle and moving Collins to LG if (big IF) that meant that it got our best 5 OL on the field. But seeing no movement on the Fleming/Waddle front, and Cooper signing with SF, I again am beyond frustrated with our approach to free agency. If the "plan" is to low ball them, and once they sign elsewhere, to draft Kolton Miller or Will Hernandez and think they are plug-and-play ready, that is foolish. I wont even consider the possibility that Chaz Green is the fallback option. Seriously, I thought last year's free agency debacle was bad (as it was happening in Feb and March). This one may turn out to be worse.

Waddle mmmm I wasn’t to impressed with Fleming I’d really like to have. But at his point I think they’re trying to see what other ways to clear cap space and bring in Hurns or a RT. I’m sure hurns had an offer with the team having a picture of what the cap can be like reconstructering a few contracts. I don’t think you bring in someone for a visit just to show them the star lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was on board with signing a young RT like Fleming/Waddle and moving Collins to LG if (big IF) that meant that it got our best 5 OL on the field. But seeing no movement on the Fleming/Waddle front, and Cooper signing with SF, I again am beyond frustrated with our approach to free agency. If the "plan" is to low ball them, and once they sign elsewhere, to draft Kolton Miller or Will Hernandez and think they are plug-and-play ready, that is foolish. I wont even consider the possibility that Chaz Green is the fallback option. Seriously, I thought last year's free agency debacle was bad (as it was happening in Feb and March). This one may turn out to be worse.
Good question .

I still like moving Collins back to LG regardless.

Let’s solidify the left side and patch the right side best we can.

We naturally line our TE on right side so it appears more likely we could add more support over there if our new RT needs it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Weddle was signed by the Pats to another contract. So far, Flemming hasn't re-signed and the talk is we're the only other team talking to him. Haven't given up on signing him just yet. I don't know if this guy is good enough to start at RT. That's for Alexander and the coaches to figure out. If he is then it's Collins back to LG and if he isn't he's the swing tackle. So many possibilities at the moment. We have to sign Flemming first or another FA T. Patience kids patience

Me personally I'd rather have a great G on the left side between Tyron and Freddy. I'm ok with an average RT, let the TE (Hannah) help out the right side with blocking, he is our best blocking TE. Our experiment in 2016 weakened BOTH sides of the line IMO. The first six games Collins wasn't even as effective as Free at RT. Cooper was JAG at LG. There is a reason why we have a new O-line coordinator.

Last edited:

garyv

Reaction score
Im just wondering what happened to both of these guys. Its like they came and didn't leave....kidnapped?
Waddle resigned with New England but Fleming is still out there so I'm not sure why we haven't signed Fleming. I think they are
waiting for price to come down. Instead of paying him 2.2 Million we are shooting for 1.2. Jerry said this will offset half of the 2 mil he had to pay Goodall and the NFL

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good question .

I still like moving Collins back to LG regardless.

Let’s solidify the left side and patch the right side best we can.

We naturally line our TE on right side so it appears more likely we could add more support over there if our new RT needs it.
:hammer:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the offensive line Jerry said he wasn't.. "oh crap that's what he said when Romo was back there"........I think he said I'll have to sell the ranch to protect Dak.. LMAO