If we don't win Division - Best case Scenarios IMO

jujoboys

Reaction score
Yesterday wasn't too bad for me. I hated seeing the Lions and the 49ers win but the chances of Dallas winning the NFC East and competing for a bye or a home playoff game aren't good anyway. That hiccup against the Cardinals pretty much screwed Dallas unless they run the table which highly unlikely. Most realistic and optimistic scenario for Dallas is to get the #5 seed so the first round of the playoffs they are on the road against the winner of the NFC South. So the losses by the Seahawks and Vikings helped toward getting that 5 seed. This is how Dallas needs things to align up if they don't win the NFC East.

1 Detroit
2 Philly or San Fran
3 Philly or San Fran
4 Winner of NFC South
5 Dallas
6 Who cares - they aren't beating Philly or San Fran
7 Who cares - they aren't beating Philly or San Fran

Round 1 Dallas gets a very winnable game on the road at an NFC South team
Round 2 if Dallas wins then they get a very winnable game on the road against Detroit
Round 3 I would like to play Philly - SF is just a terrible matchup for Dallas. I think Philly is better than the 49ers but Dallas matches up better against Philly.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we don't win the division then we likely have to win 3 road games in a row in January to reach the super bowl.

Given the recent history of W's and L's on the road, anyone else think that's unlikely to happen?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yesterday wasn't too bad for me. I hated seeing the Lions and the 49ers win but the chances of Dallas winning the NFC East and competing for a bye or a home playoff game aren't good anyway. That hiccup against the Cardinals pretty much screwed Dallas unless they run the table which highly unlikely. Most realistic and optimistic scenario for Dallas is to get the #5 seed so the first round of the playoffs they are on the road against the winner of the NFC South. So the losses by the Seahawks and Vikings helped toward getting that 5 seed. This is how Dallas needs things to align up if they don't win the NFC East.

1 Detroit
2 Philly or San Fran
3 Philly or San Fran
4 Winner of NFC South
5 Dallas
6 Who cares - they aren't beating Philly or San Fran
7 Who cares - they aren't beating Philly or San Fran

Round 1 Dallas gets a very winnable game on the road at an NFC South team
Round 2 if Dallas wins then they get a very winnable game on the road against Detroit
Round 3 I would like to play Philly - SF is just a terrible matchup for Dallas. I think Philly is better than the 49ers but Dallas matches up better against Philly.
There is no best case scenario you play whoever lined up for you to play there's no reason to start talking about it you know what I'd rather have San Francisco I'd rather have to come right at the train with another train and see how it works out.... We don't necessarily want to hope that our team gets lucky like the Philadelphia Eagles and plays a giants team who were overrated and played a Brock Purdy list team to get to the Super bowl they got lucky we need a little luck yeah but if you're asking for an easy path I know we would love one but I'd rather have the hard path you imagine the momentum that would be created if we beat San Francisco in the first round it would launch us in my opinion free of the monkey and the narrative that's on our backs right now...

CWR

Reaction score
If we don't win the division then we likely have to win 3 road games in a row in January to reach the super bowl.

Given the recent history of W's and L's on the road, anyone else think that's unlikely to happen?

You're always unlikely to make a superbowl run, until it happens. It all depends on how we are playing when the time comes.

jujoboys

Reaction score
There is no best case scenario you play whoever lined up for you to play there's no reason to start talking about it you know what I'd rather have San Francisco I'd rather have to come right at the train with another train and see how it works out.... We don't necessarily want to hope that our team gets lucky like the Philadelphia Eagles and plays a giants team who were overrated and played a Brock Purdy list team to get to the Super bowl they got lucky we need a little luck yeah but if you're asking for an easy path I know we would love one but I'd rather have the hard path you imagine the momentum that would be created if we beat San Francisco in the first round it would launch us in my opinion free of the monkey and the narrative that's on our backs right now...
I want whatever path is more likely to get Dallas to the Super Bowl. I don't care about perception or whether people think they got the easy path or not. The scenario I gave is very likely if you look at the current seeding and the remaining schedules of the teams involved. We will already have a hard path if we enter the playoffs as a wild card. Give me a team from the NFC South over the 49ers in the 1st round any day of the week and let the 49ers and Philly fight it out in the 2nd round while we go to Detroit. In my scenario we still have to win 3 road games with one of them being at Philly or San Fran so it isn't like the path will be easy.

jujoboys

Reaction score

Being optimistic we still have a chance to win the division. However, we need a lot of things to fall our way for this to happen and Dallas basically has to go unbeaten for it to happen. I still hold out hopes for Dallas winning the division but reality and the odds say we will most likely be a wild card team. If we are going to be a wild card team then I hope we are the best wild card team and capture that #5 seed. We need to go into the playoffs hot and with momentum if it is goign to take 3 road games to get where we want.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will wait to see how it all unfolds. Still 7 games left to play. That is a lot of games for 1 to 3 games separating the playoff teams as of now.
I will say 5th seed is best if we do not win the division. Then maybe by some chance, SF & Philly gets bumped out. Then Detroit. So we may get a home game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That would be good for Dallas as the 5. Means only playing one of Philly and SF
Yep. Its probably the second best outcome if you fail to win the conference. Which is why I Wasn't terribly upset Lions lost yesterday. I also don't feel that bad about having to play them later on in the season potentially for the conference if it came down to that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I want whatever path is more likely to get Dallas to the Super Bowl. I don't care about perception or whether people think they got the easy path or not. The scenario I gave is very likely if you look at the current seeding and the remaining schedules of the teams involved. We will already have a hard path if we enter the playoffs as a wild card. Give me a team from the NFC South over the 49ers in the 1st round any day of the week and let the 49ers and Philly fight it out in the 2nd round while we go to Detroit. In my scenario we still have to win 3 road games with one of them being at Philly or San Fran so it isn't like the path will be easy.
Hey man as much as I wanna be there with you you know this place never gave us credit for that Tampa Bay win last year they literally don't give us credit not one.. Most of those haters were here in this place I mean we lit them up it was a playoff team and we ran Tom Brady out of the NFL we won on the road for the first time and yet this place was pretty bored with the win...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, and it's a good scenario. If we can't win the division, then I think we definitely want the 5th seed. This gives us a chance, at least, to win a playoff game to get our playoff legs, if you will, under us before we go up against the harder competition. I'd like to think we can beat Detroit in the playoffs if we get past the NFC South opponent. The question then is, who would we race next?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hey man as much as I wanna be there with you you know this place never gave us credit for that Tampa Bay win last year they literally don't give us credit not one.. Most of those haters were here in this place I mean we lit them up it was a playoff team and we ran Tom Brady out of the NFL we won on the road for the first time and yet this place was pretty bored with the win...

I enjoyed it. Plus, I was just in Tampa and would go "How Bout them Cowboys" anytime I saw a Bucs logo or when I saw the stadium while at the airport.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

You never know. It really comes down to matchups.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I'm not looking for the Cowboys to get credit from this forum. If we beat Tampa, Detroit, and Philly/San Fran all on the road to get to the Super Bowl then I think that is pretty impressive. New England got to a lot Super Bowls by doing a lot less.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm not looking for the Cowboys to get credit from this forum. If we beat Tampa, Detroit, and Philly/San Fran all on the road to get to the Super Bowl then I think that is pretty impressive. New England got to a lot Super Bowls by doing a lot less.

As someone who's never seen us get beyond the NFC division round, I don't care how we get to the NFCC as long as we get there (and hopefully beyond).

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course it's unlikely to happen. Beating the 49ers or Eagles on the road is really hard. And despite what the OP says, the Lions are really good too. If we don't win the division, the odds of reaching the Super Bowl are very low. Even if we do win the division, the odds are well under 50%.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yep. Its probably the second best outcome if you fail to win the conference. Which is why I Wasn't terribly upset Lions lost yesterday. I also don't feel that bad about having to play them later on in the season potentially for the conference if it came down to that.
Lions came back and WON..