If We Win, Do We Root For Either Atl/Tampa ?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2506672 said:
It doesn't have to be three of them. If we win and Philadelphia and Atlanta both lose, we're in, regardless of what Chicago and Tampa Bay do.

And only the right combination of three of those four would get us in -- either Philadelphia, Chicago and Tampa Bay; or Atlanta, Chicago and Tampa Bay. But if it's Chicago, Tampa Bay and Atlanta, then we won't clinch this week.

I found this on ESPN under playoff scenarios, unless it is wrong somehow we do clinch under that bolded scenario:

Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys clinch a playoff spot with:

1) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Chicago loss or tie and Atlanta loss OR
2) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Chicago loss or tie and Tampa Bay loss OR
3) A victory over Baltimore and Chicago loss or tie and Tampa Bay loss and Atlanta loss OR
4) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Atlanta loss and Dallas clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Chicago

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;2507117 said:
I found this on ESPN under playoff scenarios, unless it is wrong somehow we do clinch under that bolded scenario:

Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys clinch a playoff spot with:

1) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Chicago loss or tie and Atlanta loss OR
2) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Chicago loss or tie and Tampa Bay loss OR
3) A victory over Baltimore and Chicago loss or tie and Tampa Bay loss and Atlanta loss OR
4) A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Atlanta loss and Dallas clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Chicago

My post was wrong. Obviously, "Atlanta, Chicago and Tampa Bay" is the same as "Chicago, Tampa Bay and Atlanta."

Also, the NFL has corrected Nos. 1 and 4 from that list, combining them simply into "A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Atlanta loss."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2507139 said:
My post was wrong. Obviously, "Atlanta, Chicago and Tampa Bay" is the same as "Chicago, Tampa Bay and Atlanta."

Also, the NFL has corrected Nos. 1 and 4 from that list, combining them simply into "A victory over Baltimore and Philadelphia loss or tie and Atlanta loss."

what happens in the event of a 4-way tie at 10-6 between us, Atlanta, Tampa and Chicago?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
dbair1967;2507169 said:
what happens in the event of a 4-way tie at 10-6 between us, Atlanta, Tampa and Chicago?

I think I read earlier in the week that TB would get the spot in that scenario.

kmd24

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2507185 said:
I think I read earlier in the week that TB would get the spot in that scenario.

But we'd still get in as the 6th seed if Philly loses tomorrow.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Unless both of them lose this weekend, it doesn't matter. We still won't clinch anything yet.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
It's simple yet complicated.

If Philly wins, we want Atlanta to win.....why you ask?......Because if they both win there is a very likely scenario under which the Eagles are eliminated with an Atlanta week 17 1:00pm win at home against the Rams.

Our game will most likely be moved to 4:15pm.
The Eagles will take the field knowing they've been eliminated and this is a best case scenario for us.
Don't care what fans or players say about sticking it to the Cowboys, under that scenario the team would be demoralized and have no shot against us.

Now if Philly manages to lose in Washington, then we would want Atlanta to also lose clinching us a playoff spot. Assuming we take care of Biz tonight.

Interesting thing is that they both play at 4:15pm tomorrow.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The way I understand it, this is our best scenario:

1. We beat the Birds tonight.
2. Philly loses to Washington at FedEx (good possibility).
3. Atlanta loses to Minnesota in the MetroDome (good possibility).

I like our chances tonight and I see both Phillly and Atlanta losing road games.

I think we clinch tommorow!!!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;2507169 said:

The Tampa Bay-Atlanta tiebreaker is broken first, then we'd go into a three-team tiebreaker against one of them and Chicago.

If we lose tonight but beat Philadelphia, we would win that three-team tiebreaker no matter who else is in it.

If we win tonight but lose to Philadelphia, we would beat Chicago and Atlanta in a three-team tiebreaker, but Tampa Bay would win it if they're in it instead of Atlanta.