If You Are Looking For The Next Namath/Favre Type QB...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...all you have to do is look at Bama's Brodie Croyle.

Kenny Stabler recently said that Croyle reminds him more of Joe Namath than any other QB. Then this past Saturday, Todd Blackledge said Croyle reminded him in a lot of ways of Favre.

The boy is a little under-sized, (6' 2" 200 lbs.), but he's got an absolute cannon for an arm and he throws the ball with incredible accuracy. There was a lot of talk in the pre-season about Romo's "moxie", well anyone who has watched this kid Croyle immediately sees that he is loaded with "moxie". In fact, his gunslinger style and rocket arm is what reminded Blackledge of Favre.

5 years ago he was the #1 High School QB in the country and the summer before his Sr. year he attended the Elite 11 QB Camp in California. The guy who runs the camp said he never saw a better QB performance in all the years he had run the camp. In fact, Drew Brees was there as an observer/coach and the news reports were that Croyle out-performed him in the drills.

I'm telling you, because of his size and injury history, Croyle will be down-graded by the scouts a little, but when all is said and done, he will be a steal for some team.
I've read some reports saying the Jets could have their eye on him already with the injuries to Pennington and their history with Bama QBs like Namath and Richard Todd.

Unfortunately for us, with Parcells affinity for vet QBs like Bledsoe and our financial commitment to Henson, I'm afraid we will not draft a young QB for several years.

BlueWave

Reaction score
I have to disagree about his arm strength. I live amongst the most hard core Alabama fans on the planet, and they love this guy. Good college arm, but only adequate as far as the NFL goes. He is no where near Favre in arm strength, or Bledsoe for that matter. He is more of a Pennington type talent. Unfortunately, with the injuries to go along with it. He is a bit frail.

He may end up on the bottom of someones QB roster, but will likely go more the way of Jay Barker, than that of Namath or Todd in my opinion.

ZRO

Reaction score
I agree with BlueWave.. and besides, Joe Nameth is by far the most overrated QB, maybe even most overrated player period, in football history. So if Croyle is another Nameth I'll pass.

VanTheMan

Benched
Reaction score
Joe Namath changed football - before his knee injuries his arm was the type QB's dream about - he could fire a ball on the money on a line 60 yards - flat footed -it was insane. There is a hi-light package that ESPN rolls on him from time to time - some of the throws are breath taking. Not to mention his WR's Maynard and Sauer were top shelf- Maynard says not even Rice and Taylor could match their precise route running.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a better QB than Leinart or Young. He has absolutely no one to throw to. The injury history will be the biggest question mark no doubt. That being said I think Brady Quinn will be the best of the whole lot when its all said and done.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
BlueWave said:
I have to disagree about his arm strength. I live amongst the most hard core Alabama fans on the planet, and they love this guy. Good college arm, but only adequate as far as the NFL goes. He is no where near Favre in arm strength, or Bledsoe for that matter. He is more of a Pennington type talent. Unfortunately, with the injuries to go along with it. He is a bit frail.

He may end up on the bottom of someones QB roster, but will likely go more the way of Jay Barker, than that of Namath or Todd in my opinion.

Look, I'm not a Bama homer, by any stretch, and no offense intended to you personally, but anyone who denies his arm strength has either not seen him play, is a fan of another SEC team and doesn't want to give credit where it's due or doesn't know what they are watching. Let me guess, if you are surrounded by hard-core Bama fans, are you a fan of Auburn or another SEC school?

One of the criticisms of him has been that he throws such darts that many times his receivers aren't able to react fast enough to the ball. Go check his numbers and the number of long pass plays he's had in his career. I really don't see how anyone can deny his arm strength. In fact, his swagger and the trouble he got into as a young QB was that he knew he had a cannon for an arm and he thought he could fit a ball in most any spot. The fact is he's a little cocky about his arm strength, sort of like Favre.

Old Bama and former NFL QBs like Stabler don't lightly compare any QB to Broadway Joe. Joe Willie was probably the most pure, natural passer of his era. The ball literally flicked off his fingers.

Croyle has a cannon for a right arm and is so far beyond Jay Barker as an NFL prospect that there really is no comparison. JMO.

jimmy40

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...all you have to do is look at Bama's Brodie Croyle.

Kenny Stabler recently said that Croyle reminds him more of Joe Namath than any other QB. Then this past Saturday, Todd Blackledge said Croyle reminded him in a lot of ways of Favre.

The boy is a little under-sized, (6' 2" 200 lbs.), but he's got an absolute cannon for an arm and he throws the ball with incredible accuracy. There was a lot of talk in the pre-season about Romo's "moxie", well anyone who has watched this kid Croyle immediately sees that he is loaded with "moxie". In fact, his gunslinger style and rocket arm is what reminded Blackledge of Favre.

5 years ago he was the #1 High School QB in the country and the summer before his Sr. year he attended the Elite 11 QB Camp in California. The guy who runs the camp said he never saw a better QB performance in all the years he had run the camp. In fact, Drew Brees was there as an observer/coach and the news reports were that Croyle out-performed him in the drills.

I'm telling you, because of his size and injury history, Croyle will be down-graded by the scouts a little, but when all is said and done, he will be a steal for some team.
I've read some reports saying the Jets could have their eye on him already with the injuries to Pennington and their history with Bama QBs like Namath and Richard Todd.

Unfortunately for us, with Parcells affinity for vet QBs like Bledsoe and our financial commitment to Henson, I'm afraid we will not draft a young QB for several years.
Namath/Farve type? Could those two be more different?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cant say I see Croyle as having a "cannon" arm...

right now he probably isnt even a first day draft pick, let alone a franchise type QB

David

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
cant say I see Croyle as having a "cannon" arm...

right now he probably isnt even a first day draft pick, let alone a franchise type QB

David

If he stays healthy, we'll see where he's drafted.

I didn't say he would be a franchise QB because as I said he is slightly undersized and injuries may limit him, but I'll venture to say that his arm strength won't be the limiting factor.
I really can't understand what people are watching who don't recognize his arm strength. I would really be interested to know how many times you've actually sat down and watched him play a full game.

I sort of remember a lot of people saying Tom Brady had a weak arm his Sr. year at Michigan. Funny thing, I didn't see it when he lit Bama up for about 350 yards in the 2000 Orange Bowl. I don't hear much about Brady having a weak arm these days.

Pre-draft perceptions of a player many times are not reality.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Dude, putting Namath's name within a mile of Favre's is ludicrous. Namath was an incredibly overrated QB who couldn't carry Favre's jock. Check out what Namath did throughout his career and you'll realize that his career was really all about the one big prediction and win. Favre is an all-time great - Namath was hype.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BIGDen said:
Dude, putting Namath's name within a mile of Favre's is ludicrous. Namath was an incredibly overrated QB who couldn't carry Favre's jock. Check out what Namath did throughout his career and you'll realize that his career was really all about the one big prediction and win. Favre is an all-time great - Namath was hype.

Oh, no, I disagree. Namath was one of the most gifted QBs I'd ever seen, while at Bama. People confuse this sometimes because of how he played in the NFL. Before the injuries, Namath was something very special. Football was a different game in those days. Don't underestimate how gifted Namath was.