If you could, what would you give?

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I realize that it's past the trade deadline.. I also realize that due to the nature of NFL contracts player for player(s) trades are virtually impossible. Toss all that out the window, we're going to deal in an imaginary world on this hypothetical.

Pretend that tomorrow Indianapolis called you, the Cowboys GM, and said that they'd trade Adam Viniatieri in exchange for Vanderjagt and a 2nd round pick. Would you? If so, what if they demanded a 1 instead of a 2?

Assuming that you think this team is a playoff/SB contender...are you confident enough in Vandy to get out of his funk to get you there? Or are you so lacking in confidence that you would mortgage the future (to a limited degree) to get a "sure thing" kicker to make a run this year?

This was a subject of turkey day debate in my household, and I thought I'd get the opinion of Cowboy nation on it.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Fearing losing out on wide right..my distrust in Vandy, faith in Vinatieri's clutch foot and persona, and recognition that Jacob Rogers was a second round pick would persuade me to pull that trigger.

But then again Adam wasn't even the kicker Bill was after the last few years.

Apparently it was Matt Bryant.

So no.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i wouldn't do it for a 1st or 2nd. plus adam will probably cost even more

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Well screw all you special teams hatin' mofos. I'd do it in a heartbeat!

One... i think this is a team prepared to go all the way. Second rounders hurt, but rubbing that Lombardi Trophy makes up for it.

Two... Vanderclank almost missed a gimme FG last week. AND was shaking his head about it! Dude has got a mental block about it. From the blown postseason game, to the preseason collapse, to the blown "revenge game" against Indy, to what is left of him.... no confidence whatsoever in this guy.

I don't want to watch my team have the next Scott Norwood and miss the big one because of a freaking kicker. So yeah, hypothetical and will never happen, but yup, now that we have a legit Super Bowl contender, and a kicker who is cracking up by the week, I'd give anything for a better (and proven!) kicker.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy;1186541 said:

:laugh2:

Problem with kickers, TBC, is you really can't trust ANY of them.

It'd be just the luck that Vinatieri loses his grip just as he suited up in silver and blue.

No, one of the benefits of bringing in your other headcase was that we can put so many points up on opponents that the thought of gambling on Vandercrank is somewhat less paralyzing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1186505 said:
Nope. A 2nd??? For a kicker????????
Thank you, for answering an insane question with a sane answer. I can now avoid going postal.

cowboys19

Reaction score
Id feel alot more confident with Vinateri as our kicker than Vanderjact.

Maybe a 3rd or 4th

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
just bring back hoffman and sign anyone walking the street and we are set.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Eh, I MIGHT be willing to forego a high pick if said kicker with two Super Bowl-winning kicks was, say, 25.

But Vinatieri's been around so long, even at a position players can seemingly play forever, that I would never trade a pick for him.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score

One... i think this is a team prepared to go all the way. Second rounders hurt, but rubbing that Lombardi Trophy makes up for it.

Two... Vanderclank almost missed a gimme FG last week. AND was shaking his head about it! Dude has got a mental block about it. From the blown postseason game, to the preseason collapse, to the blown "revenge game" against Indy, to what is left of him.... no confidence whatsoever in this guy.

I don't want to watch my team have the next Scott Norwood and miss the big one because of a freaking kicker. So yeah, hypothetical and will never happen, but yup, now that we have a legit Super Bowl contender, and a kicker who is cracking up by the week, I'd give anything for a better (and proven!) kicker.

See, that's my thought on it as well.

Now sure a second rounder is nuts for a kicker. Atleast it's nuts until you think about Vanderjagt lining up for a 45 yard kick to win the NFC Championship game.....and then you think about how much more confident you'd feel with it being Viniatieri.

This whole thing is based on the premise that we believe this team will be making noise. And if you believe that, how can you have any sort of confidence about playing playoff football with this headcase kicking?

I really don't think this is that assinine, atleast as a hypothetical. What's that stat again on % of NFL games decided by 3 points or less?

There's a very real chance that I'm just being pessimistic. I usually am. But it's Nov. 25 and I am already shuddering at the thought of Romo leading a game winning drive in the playoffs just to see Vanderjagt miss a game winner/tyer. And if/when that happens, I'd be curious to see how these responses change.