If you own Apple stock

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Curious if anyone on the board owns Apple shares. I don't but following the markets and some of the bigger companies.

I think your going to see a precipitous and steady decline in their market value over the next few 4-5 years. They have lost alot of cache amongst buyers as their phones and computers have failed to innovate like they once did, in fact they received more backlash after the release of the new iPhone X series phones than I've ever seen.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been seeing the new ads on TV for the new Iphones and I think it is the first time they have not pointed to at least one new thing.

Whether that new thing was something that was just new to Iphone but old to andriod. Or something new that was basically silly trivial program like the animojis from a few years back that was part of the big reason to by the new phone.

I have yet to see an official apple ad for this new phone that says there is a new OS feature or hardware.

For example the new Samsung Note 9 might not be too much different than the Note 8 however I have seen the ad where you can use the SPen as a remote control to the camera. No major innovation or anything but it is something new being shown where again Apple has not shown anything like that from what Ads I have seen with the new phone.

They just show the two different sized phones being moved around next to each other.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My financial advisor disagrees. The new suite of phones just released include a ~$500 model and most people value reliability over functionality.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My financial advisor disagrees. The new suite of phones just released include a ~$500 model and most people value reliability over functionality.

Your larger point notwithstanding (legit argument), the Xr ("cheaper") is $749. I should add that specific phone is being lambasted because it's screen resolution is the same as an iPhone 4.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Your larger point notwithstanding (legit argument), the Xr ("cheaper") is $749. I should add that specific phone is being lambasted because it's screen resolution is the same as an iPhone 4.
The problem with Android is that there are so many flavors out there hence the apps you download may or may not always work. I hate paying more for Apple, but I need the reliability for work. I need to retire :D

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Curious if anyone on the board owns Apple shares. I don't but following the markets and some of the bigger companies.

I think your going to see a precipitous and steady decline in their market value over the next few 4-5 years. They have lost alot of cache amongst buyers as their phones and computers have failed to innovate like they once did, in fact they received more backlash after the release of the new iPhone X series phones than I've ever seen.
I remember living in Austin and all those Dell workers going super cray over their stocks doubling and splitting and thinking they won the lottery, as they worked the assembly line...
Funny how things go.

Pop goes the weasel.

Chrispierce

Reaction score

Backlash? The reviews are pretty darn good for the new X series.

Jenky

Reaction score
The problem with Android is that there are so many flavors out there hence the apps you download may or may not always work. I hate paying more for Apple, but I need the reliability for work. I need to retire :D

There are more problems with Android than that and its most notably OS updates. You get 1-2 years of updates on an Android if you are lucky. Yes, google does update their own phone (pixel). Apple IOS still get applied to iphone 5s and that phone is 5 years old. The latest version of iOS has made these older phones faster. Yes Apple gouges you for their products but they do offer better support for longer.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There are more problems with Android than that and its most notably OS updates. You get 1-2 years of updates on an Android if you are lucky. Yes, google does update their own phone (pixel). Apple IOS still get applied to iphone 5s and that phone is 5 years old. The latest version of iOS has made these older phones faster.
Totally agree. I was trying to be nice and not get into a war with the anti-Apple crowd. o_O

rags747

Reaction score
Nothing goes up forever and eventually everything sells off. I have pretty heavy holdings of AAPL at 87 (relative I know) and have no current plans to sell. I'm playing with a lot of house money at this point so no concerns. When preferring Apple to Samsung it's really quite easy, one is American and one is Korean...end of story.

lukin2006

Reaction score
There are more problems with Android than that and its most notably OS updates. You get 1-2 years of updates on an Android if you are lucky. Yes, google does update their own phone (pixel). Apple IOS still get applied to iphone 5s and that phone is 5 years old. The latest version of iOS has made these older phones faster. Yes Apple gouges you for their products but they do offer better support for longer.

I'm still using my iPhone 6 ...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You are correct on android OS updates.
However I don't think people always take into account of Android with Carriers.

Apple made a great decision not to make phones carrier specific when it comes to OS or phones themselves.

This is a big problem with Android IMO. Where some phones are only available for specific carriers. However even those phones available to all...say a Samsung Note...the OS updates are not just from Android OS...It has to go through the Anrdoid, then the phone maker's addition to the OS (in this case Samsung) and after that it will in most cases have to wait for the Carrier to do it's software updates to go with not only the android itself but the phone maker itself.

So going with a AT&T Samsung Note 9....when a new Android OS is available....it has to wait for the Android OS to be released, then the phone maker to adapt and add their own software to it and also AT&T to add to make sure their stuff works with the new android OS.

The beauty of the Iphone is...it does not have to wait or jump through those other things. All of their updates only go to their own phones and not have to worry about different phone makers or Carriers either.

However there also is a few negative things about the Apple IOS going out to most of its phones at the same time.

There have been more than one time when the IOS has went out to a vast number of Iphones only for there to be some large flaws in part of the software that has caused some problems. In the android world the OS update would got to a smaller amount (specific phone makers and carriers probably google pixel) where any large problems would be worked out and fixed before going to other phones.

One other issue with IOS that I have not heard of coming from android (at least yet)....Intentionally putting out a new OS that intentionally causes an individuals older phones to go slower in order to encourage their own consumers to buy newr products...and they got caught doing that.

Most people will notice that if they are heavy App users that after a few years the phone becomes slightly outdated when it comes to some memory hog intensive apps or higher end apps requiring more for it to run. It can bog down older phones. This is part of the reason why I will stick to the Note line of the samsung phones as they normally have the larger amount of memory to deal with higher functioning phone compared to their normal galaxy phones.

So although some older phones may work with current OS updates for basic functions...most will tend to bog down if using intensive apps or games due to the older chips and lack of memory compared to newer phones.

I have some older phones that do not work as well with newer games...however I can still use them as MP3 players and some lesser apps when need be.

So I have no problem with only getting a couple of updates on Android phones because normally I will get a newer one later anyway. What I however DO loathe is the idea of never knowing when it is going to come out for my individual phone when some other android phones got the update months or even a year earlier.

Jenky

Reaction score
You are correct on android OS updates.
However I don't think people always take into account of Android with Carriers.

Apple made a great decision not to make phones carrier specific when it comes to OS or phones themselves.

This is a big problem with Android IMO. Where some phones are only available for specific carriers. However even those phones available to all...say a Samsung Note...the OS updates are not just from Android OS...It has to go through the Anrdoid, then the phone maker's addition to the OS (in this case Samsung) and after that it will in most cases have to wait for the Carrier to do it's software updates to go with not only the android itself but the phone maker itself.

So going with a AT&T Samsung Note 9....when a new Android OS is available....it has to wait for the Android OS to be released, then the phone maker to adapt and add their own software to it and also AT&T to add to make sure their stuff works with the new android OS.

The beauty of the Iphone is...it does not have to wait or jump through those other things. All of their updates only go to their own phones and not have to worry about different phone makers or Carriers either.

However there also is a few negative things about the Apple IOS going out to most of its phones at the same time.

There have been more than one time when the IOS has went out to a vast number of Iphones only for there to be some large flaws in part of the software that has caused some problems. In the android world the OS update would got to a smaller amount (specific phone makers and carriers probably google pixel) where any large problems would be worked out and fixed before going to other phones.

One other issue with IOS that I have not heard of coming from android (at least yet)....Intentionally putting out a new OS that intentionally causes an individuals older phones to go slower in order to encourage their own consumers to buy newr products...and they got caught doing that.

Most people will notice that if they are heavy App users that after a few years the phone becomes slightly outdated when it comes to some memory hog intensive apps or higher end apps requiring more for it to run. It can bog down older phones. This is part of the reason why I will stick to the Note line of the samsung phones as they normally have the larger amount of memory to deal with higher functioning phone compared to their normal galaxy phones.

So although some older phones may work with current OS updates for basic functions...most will tend to bog down if using intensive apps or games due to the older chips and lack of memory compared to newer phones.

I have some older phones that do not work as well with newer games...however I can still use them as MP3 players and some lesser apps when need be.

So I have no problem with only getting a couple of updates on Android phones because normally I will get a newer one later anyway. What I however DO loathe is the idea of never knowing when it is going to come out for my individual phone when some other android phones got the update months or even a year earlier.

"One other issue with IOS that I have not heard of coming from android (at least yet)....Intentionally putting out a new OS that intentionally causes an individuals older phones to go slower in order to encourage their own consumers to buy newr products...and they got caught doing that."

Do you mean the battery thing, where the battery health causes the CPU to throttle down? Yeah that was pretty bad and they got caught.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"One other issue with IOS that I have not heard of coming from android (at least yet)....Intentionally putting out a new OS that intentionally causes an individuals older phones to go slower in order to encourage their own consumers to buy newr products...and they got caught doing that."

Do you mean the battery thing, where the battery health causes the CPU to throttle down? Yeah that was pretty bad and they got caught.

Yes...and my wife would drive me crazy having me work on her IPAD because it would start going "slower".

When she close out her broswer, instead of closing all the tabs out, she would leave them up there and when she would go surfing again she would just open yet another tab.

So she would have LOADS of tabs open and top of that she would never do any kind of cache/cookie/temp files/history clean.

So she would have multiple pages loading up every time she would open her browser.

Well I would have to close all of those out, do all of the cleaning and that would run a little better for a short time.

I even did some factory resets a few times but after some time the cleanups and such just had no change to the speed.

She essentially quit using her ipad. About a year later we heard the story of them doing that to make the older phones/ipads go slower.

But even with all of those issues, it was an older Ipad and she is due for a new one....maybe lol.