If you wanna know how the Skins will do it

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
...should a CBA not be signed, this is from Peter King on SI.com:

Washington cuts LaVar Arrington. No big surprise. But word around the league for weeks has been if a deal isn't done, the 'Skins will have a record number of minimum-salary players and maybe even trade most of their 2006 draft picks for picks in the 2007 draft, when owner Dan Snyder could use the lack of a salary cap to pay players exorbitant salaries he just can't pay right now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/03/06/labor/index.html

(Of course, what many seem to overlook is that Jerruh will happily go dollar for dollar up against the Boy Blunder, should there be an uncapped year.)

Eddie

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
(Of course, what many seem to overlook is that Jerruh will happily go dollar for dollar up against the Boy Blunder, should there be an uncapped year.)

Really? Like opening up his wallet for a real kicker. :bang2:

wileedog

Reaction score

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I don't think the owners will ever let the league go back to operating without a salary cap but its fun to think of being a Boys fan with Jerry as the owner and no spending limits.
That being said, is there anyone out there who knows for certain who has more money, Jerry or Snyder?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
who cares? I mean really, why all the energy on the skins. I am not concerned what they do or do not do. My only concern is how all this effects the Cowboys both short and long term. I have no doubt that we will succeed. Love him or hate him, Jerry is a very good and successful business man. The only knock I have on him is he just needs to leave the coaching to the coachs.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What's funny is that when Snyder was supposedly one of the owners against the current revenue sharing plan, it was "good for him" and he "shouldn't be paying for small market owners ineptitude."

But now that Jerry is supposedly behind it, it's evil.

Rich.........

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
What's funny is that when Snyder was supposedly one of the owners against the current revenue sharing plan, it was "good for him" and he "shouldn't be paying for small market owners ineptitude."

But now that Jerry is supposedly behind it, it's evil.

Rich.........

And knowing the parties involved, does this shock you?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
That being said, is there anyone out there who knows for certain who has more money, Jerry or Snyder?
According to Fortune, both sit at ~$850 MM.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
According to Fortune, both sit at ~$850 MM.

Thats usually net worth. Danny boy's value is more in stock and companies. He'd have to liquidate to access that -

I believe JJ being older and monies more tradional and liquid. Not to mention he could always leverage equity in Cowboys - easily.

Don't look for JJ/BP to do foolish things like sign a TO this year and try to force an uncapped 2007 to outspend rest of NFL. They will impose their will and eventually buy out the small market teams via a settlement/rev share/subsidy.

Kraft has to be pissed. I heard today that when Kraft took over Pats - they were 28/28 - dead last in local revenue's in NFL. Parcells/Bledsoe/Kraft turned that Franchise around and they were top 25% in 4 years. Now Kraft builds a cash cow and he has to subsidy Arizona and the bottom feeder teams?

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't matter who has more (Jerry or Danny Boy) personally--it's how they make profits off their teams. Both are pretty good in that arena--but Jerruh may have the advantage because Little Napoleon has leveraged a lot of his assets to buy Six Flags & other properties.

Anyway, bottom line is that the skins have idiots who do the signing of FAs. (Cerrato?--Oh please; & while Joe Gibbs may walk on water & part the Red Sea, his "glory days" of picking players happened when he had Bobby Beatherd doing it for him. Now he picks "character guys" like Taylor.) I'l take the Boys scouting dept. with Ireland heading it up against them very happily.

Frankly, the team that scares me more this year if we don't have a CBA is the Iggles. As has been pointed out, last year was an anomaly for them. They have a ton of free space, & they're always good at personnel decisions.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors said:
Thats usually net worth. Danny boy's value is more in stock and companies. He'd have to liquidate to access that -

I believe JJ being older and monies more tradional and liquid. Not to mention he could always leverage equity in Cowboys - easily.

Don't look for JJ/BP to do foolish things like sign a TO this year and try to force an uncapped 2007 to outspend rest of NFL. They will impose their will and eventually buy out the small market teams via a settlement/rev share/subsidy.

Kraft has to be pissed. I heard today that when Kraft took over Pats - they were 28/28 - dead last in local revenue's in NFL. Parcells/Bledsoe/Kraft turned that Franchise around and they were top 25% in 4 years. Now Kraft builds a cash cow and he has to subsidy Arizona and the bottom feeder teams?
Kraft and the Pats certainly are the poster boys for rich owners re: revenue sharing. As far as assets, neither would need to liquidate a large portion of their assets. Presumably it wouldn't be too difficult to break off $50 MM for either.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
If the Skins are to stupid to manage their salary cap, market their team, etc... why should it be up to JJ to bail them out. That joker on extreme skins is fuming because JJ won't give in. I wouldn't either if my team were elite as our Cowboys are....

Sorry Skins......

shnagy

Reaction score
Also, King thinks the league should look into the release of Lavar Arrington:
2. I think just for the sake of insuring trust in the salary cap from some skeptical front offices, the league needs to make sure LaVar Arrington is really going to forego the $4 million in guaranteed money to get his freedom now. Not saying it didn't happen, but I am saying with all the money the Commanders have to spare and how convenient it was that the team could find this money after months of hand-wringing over the Arrington deal, the league needs to double check that the accounting of this is clean.

Assuming Arrington did give the money back, it's a smart move on his part to get his freedom now instead of in June or July. And I think it's a good example of cutting one's losses. The Commanders and Arrington were never going to be happy together, even though he loves the city and the people there.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I just don't see how this was a good move for Lavar. Does he really expect he'll make 4 MM more being a FA now rather than later? Thus, the whole deal sounds kinda fishy and I think King is right that the league should look into it.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
I just don't see how this was a good move for Lavar. Does he really expect he'll make 4 MM more being a FA now rather than later? Thus, the whole deal sounds kinda fishy and I think King is right that the league should look into it.
FWIW, speculation of PFW is that his agent has already lined up a deal under the table, so Arrington was ok with giving up the money--sorta like how the iggles getting Bentley is already common knowledge.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
theogt said:

I'm pretty sure the league keeps a close audit on this already.

If they don't I think King is right and would say that for any owner with a situation like this as there would be nothing to prevent Jones, Snyder or a guy like Paul Allen from doing an underhanded deal like this.

I tried to explain this over at CPND, and it went completely over their head.

And knowing the parties involved, does this shock you?

I should keep this in mind when posting over there.

Rich............

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I thought Jones and Snyder were friends. If this agreement doesn't go through the bad blood between the two teams is going to spike precipitiously.

I don't think they are friends by any means, especially with Snyder's propensity to take digs at the Cowboys and their fans. I mean, it wasn't Jones getting his newly hired coach to say that he was going to give him the game ball when they finally beat the Cowboys (i.e. Spurrier to Snyder at their press conference).

I don't think that infuriates Jerry, but I don't think it endears Snyder to him either. So Jerry sits back and allows Snyder to make himself look like a little kid.

I think they basically have the same type of understanding given their teams are #1 and #2 in value and they have the same business philosophies when it comes to the league.

In reality, I doubt that Snyder is having a differing opinion than Jones because in many ways they are in the same boat with the same agendas. Given how much credit Snyder has used to own the team, my guess is that he wants all the money he could get and Jones' wants fit right in line with his.

Rich..............