If you were choosing which position would you select with your first round pick?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Trade back to late first and get your Center.
We're already 24th. Not much room to move down.

Real possibility of moving up. Usually there are not 24 1st round graded picks. If we really prefer the top rated center, move up and get him if necessary.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
DT if limited to those 3 options AND all 3 were equally talented.

Defense wins championships, and the defensive line is where it all starts.

Sure seems to be a lot of fascination with Centers lately! :huh:
Biadasz is now a free agent and we didn't do anything last year to have a hope to backfill him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We're already 24th. Not much room to move down.

Real possibility of moving up. Usually there are not 24 1st round graded picks. If we really prefer the top rated center, move up and get him if necessary.
It is rare for a Center to go in round 1.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Would you select the best Center, 1T or MLB with your first round pick?
Great question! I’m pretty ignorant on this years draft class so need to research a bit. It also depends on what happens in free agency.

reddyuta

Reaction score
OL is the way to go,we can't go wrong with 1st rd Olinemen.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they go Oline in the first unless some other higher rated player falls like a WR or DE.

Although LB is a need, I am not sure that there is a LB rated for the 24th spot. The top three off the top of my head are Trotter, Cooper and Wilson

IF a WR falls that they have rated highly, that could be a surprise pick ala CeeDee when he was taken. I think Odunze, Harrison and Nabors will be gone. So maybe they like Thomas Jr, Franklin or Coleman

There could be some DBs there as well. I do not know that they would go CB in the first unless someone really fell.

We have seen they are not high on drafting S early in the draft

My guess is they will go Morgan, Guyton, Fautanu, JPJ or Barton

Gambit

Reaction score
FA will make this question a lot easier to answer.

Thinking like Dallas over history of draft, though I want a C, it's very likely they go with LT due to that position having a higher salary cap hit and being able to get the 5th year option.

And the LTs likely available there don't wow me a whole lot.

I think we can rule out LB the meat for that is 3-5.

DT if there is a run stopping trash can full of dirt there, McKinley may rise as we get closer and could be an option..

And don't sleep on Edge if they move Parsons back to LB an edge guy Darius Robinson will fly up draft boards and could be a target at 24.

I'd like a trade back. We need at least one more pick in that dead zone of 87 and 172ish, preferably 2.

Gambit

Reaction score
hope I can land Powers-Johnson or Frazier.
I just don't think JPJ makes it to 24. Me ami, Pittsburgh, Philly are 3 names off top of my head who could easily take him ahead of us.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just don't think JPJ makes it to 24. Me ami, Pittsburgh, Philly are 3 names off top of my head who could easily take him ahead of us.
Possibly, but usually the top center in the draft last until around then because tackles have more draft value, and there are a lot of top tackles in this class. In fact, since we seem to love to draft tackles and then give them "position flex" to other spots, it wouldn't surprise me to see us do that. Works out pretty well at guard, but not as usual at center.

J-man

Reaction score
It clearly depends on who is available, not what. You can't just blindly say you want X position because that's what we need the most.
No team is so great that if the best player in the draft is sitting there, but you don't need him, (*unless it's a QB) you wouldn't take him? BS, you take him anyway. How many players on this team make you say no, he's so good you can't replace him or even need to add to my position group. Martin, Micah and Lamb are the closest things we have to that here. But none of them would keep me from adding another stud caliber player at their position.

Overall, if you're asking me the 1 position (*other than QB) that is usually best taken in RD 1, it's Edge rusher. Almost all stud pass rushers come from RD 1.

But to answer the question I think you're asking; which is what we should do this year, if we're given equally talented top rated players at all positions (*other than QB)? I'd still probably take a DE. Or LB or DT.

*I'm not saying Dak is that guy, I'm just saying a top QB doesn't need to be added if you are ready blessed with one. All other positions are on the table.

exciter

Reaction score
3tech with size… need more pressure up the middle,
Starting quality centers into 3rd early 4th round,
Team was immensely successful taking off the ball LBs in the 2nd late 90s 2000s
Zimmer had success making nobody’s like Willie Blade and Brandon Noble respectable players playing that shoot the gap between the center/guard and there’s absolutely no way Jerry takes a 1tech high again… probably ever, so there’s no point in discussing the position!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles, learn what the draft is all about and then get back to me.
Not sure what you mean, sir. If the choice was there, would you prefer a center, MLB or 1T? Not sure that question illustrated my lack of knowledge about the draft.