If you were Jerry Jones, how would you approach Dak for an extension?

J12B

Reaction score
Few weeks away from that July 15th deadline.

How would you negotiate with Dak and what kind of deal would you offer him?

How do you get Dak and his agent to come to an agreement?

Reaction score

That's the thing. Dak's agent is ****in playin HARDBALL. They actin like the Dallas Cowboys legacy dont mean ****!!! All Dak's agent care about is the numbers and how much percentage he is getting once Dak gets paid.

cern

Reaction score
I would butt my nose out and let Stephen do his job.

plasticman

Reaction score
On my knees.

Even if they gave Dak a 40 million a year contract for four years, it still wouldn't make up for incredible bargain Jerry got just because the entire NFL failed to evaluate Dak's potential as a Pro. He made about one million a year during his first four seasons

Suppose you add up the two contracts in years, that would be an eight year contract. Now add up the salary, that would total 164 million for those 8 years or 20.5 million a year. So, at this point, Dak would be halfway through his 20.5 million a year contract during which he:

Started every single game

Made rookie of the year

Twice a Pro Bowl selection

Broke the record for rookie passer rating and completion percentage

Set a new NFL record for attempts before first NFL INT.

2nd most wins behind only Tom Brady

5th most 4th quarter comebacks

Halfway through an eight year contract that paid 20.5 million a year.....Jerry would still be getting the ultimate bargain....

Instead, Jerry paid everyone else that got drafted in the same year as Dak....paid everyone else but the team player, the consummate professional who refused to talk about contracts with the media during the season, the one that never got suspended, did the right things, said the right things.......the guy that deserved an extension the most.

So, yeah.....the best way for Jerry to approach Dak about a contract would be on his knees.

Wood

Reaction score

I wouldn't. I would see team possibly loaded with more offensive talent than any other time in its history and let him run it. See if he can elevate play of others (we really haven't see than yet). See how he handles playoff teams. See if he can actually get past 2nd round of playoffs. If he checks each box then you give him what he wants next year.

GenoT

Reaction score
“Son, I hear there’s plenty of excellent national endorsement opportunities in Cincinnati...”
(jk)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

From the start, Jerry should have said to Dak, and *all* high profile Cowboys:
I bring financial benefits in the metro area, tax rates, and marketing power that other teams don't. This is especially true for QB. I will be taking that value into account in negotiations. If you don't, it's unlikely we can come to a mutually satifactory deal.​

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
At this point, I wouldn't approach him at all.
Let him prove himself under the new regime.

Resume negotiations in 2021.

Yep, ball's in his court. He's got everything he wants

If Mahomes signs the benchmark resetting contract next Spring (and Dak remains a top 5 QB) I wonder whether Dak will be more open to signing a 4 or 5 year contract?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Jerry should stand his ground on the 5-year contract. Let Dak be the one that caves or plays on the tag. We already have him signed this year so there will be no holdout. Now make him bend the knee.

Jipper

Reaction score
I’m gonna go with like Srooge McDuck for the win....with lots of money but only for the right deal.

Hadenough

Reaction score

This is all about money and not years like the media keeps saying. If it were about years who wouldnt want a short term contract with Dak. He has proven nothing except he can play in the NFL with a great supporting cast. Jerry should yank those previous offers off the table and replace them with a 3 year 25 mil a year contract that expires in 15 min and say take it or leave!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is all about money and not years like the media keeps saying. If it were about years who wouldnt want a short term contract with Dak. He has proven nothing except he can play in the NFL with a great supporting cast. Jerry should yank those previous offers off the table and replace them with a 3 year 25 mil a year contract that expires in 15 min and say take it or leave!

There's no incentive for Dak to sign, if he plays anywhere near his 2019 level he'll gets $69m for two Franchise years.

To be fair to him he's backing himself.....probably didn't take last years offer as he was coming off a poor season.

Yes it comes down to money, however, the years do matter as France knows that the QB market will reset in the next two years and our CAP limitations.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You don't. Would have traded him, signed Dalton and cam to battle it out a year or 2 while looking to draft a young guy. Probably just tank 1 year to grab a top 5 pick and draft a guy.

cern

Reaction score
I’d have given him the four year deal already. He’s earned his extension. He bet on himself and delivered. We need a franchise QB. He’s earned it.
8-8 suggests otherwise. no doubt he improved as a passer. but i still wonder about the overall record. he had a pretty good offense around him. but the defense did suck and the dearly departed former hc was still here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the start, Jerry should have said to Dak, and *all* high profile Cowboys:
I bring financial benefits in the metro area, tax rates, and marketing power that other teams don't. This is especially true for QB. I will be taking that value into account in negotiations. If you don't, it's unlikely we can come to a mutually satifactory deal.​
And you wouldn’t sign anyone. Lol.