If you were running the Cowboys draft, what would you have done differently?

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
While both trades with Cleveland was impressive, I would not have pulled the trigger on the trade with Philly. Here's what I would have done differently:

I'd rather not have traded up with the Eagles. Here's what I would have rather done:

2nd round #36 - Justin Blalock OG Texas
3rd round #67 - James Marten OT Boston College or Jason Hill WR Washington State
3rd round #87 - Allen Barbre OT Missouri Southern State
4th round #103 - Paul Soliai DT Utah
4th round #122 - Kareen Brown DT Miami

Plus you still get Cleveland's 1st round pick next year and have a 5th, two 6s and three 7s this year as well.

What would you have done differently??

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It appears that guards were not on their horizon as much as all of us thought.

Now we have basically 5 tackles that can play hopefully on this team.

We wont have to pay money in free agency on the line anymore, and davis can stay put at rg where he is best.

NickZepp

Reaction score
We don't really need any of those players outside of Blaylock and maybe one other tackle. We filled our two biggest needs. Now hopefully we can get lucky with our reach, and we can get another athlete that makes the roster.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
NickZepp;1478367 said:
We don't really need any of those players outside of Blaylock and maybe one other tackle. We filled our two biggest needs. Now hopefully we can get lucky with our reach, and we can get another athlete that makes the roster.

so you're drafting by need rather than best player available? I thought Jerry said this was going to be the "purest" draft going strictly by grades of the scouts. I find it hard to believe some of these picks graded higher than the guys I posted.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
theebs;1478327 said:
It appears that guards were not on their horizon as much as all of us thought.

Now we have basically 5 tackles that can play hopefully on this team.

We wont have to pay money in free agency on the line anymore, and davis can stay put at rg where he is best.

I guess the key word is hopefully. LOL I'm not satisfied with Kosier or Adams' long term viability. Blalock and Barbre can definitely play.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I thought guard was a bigger need, but tackles are harder to come by I guess.

We should be set at tackle from now on. We drafted well. And we also settled our defense by getting Anthony Spencer.

I do hope we get a guard/center in June and maybe a DT.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1478388 said:
I guess the key word is hopefully. LOL I'm not satisfied with Kosier or Adams' long term viability. Blalock and Barbre can definitely play.

yep, kosier is young and I think he played well. Now we have mcquistan and free for lt and columbo and marten at right tackle.

We really put our self in a good position not to have to go into free agency anymore. So all the people bagging on our line may be changing their tune soon.

NickZepp

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1478388 said:

I'm not so sure about Blalock in the NFL. I think the 2 OL we got were probably just as good as he is. Both can probably play guard or tackle.

I don't think we are having a great draft. But it's a solid and smart draft. Spencer will have a shot at starting this year. Outside of that we may not see a guy play from this draft unless it's on special teams.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I would have taken Dwayne Jarrett at #22.

Oh wait, then we wouldn't have the Browns' 1st next year. I guess it's better that Jerry & Co were running it this weekend.

I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out for us.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Galian Beast;1478402 said:
I thought guard was a bigger need, but tackles are harder to come by I guess.

We should be set at tackle from now on. We drafted well. And we also settled our defense by getting Anthony Spencer.

I do hope we get a guard/center in June and maybe a DT.

I think people are forgetting that they think pretty highly of joe berger a g/c and procter a guard.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I wouldn't have done a single thing differently...I think JJ had a great draft this time.

I personally would have probably stayed at 53 in round 2 and taken a guy I was interested in, but he probably made the right move...we have to trust that he went with his draft board and trusted his scouts.

The extra picks were too hard to pass up on.

FOR marginal talents, JJ does have to think about money...he's about to dish out a lot of it to T.O.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
NickZepp;1478407 said:
I'm not so sure about Blalock in the NFL. I think the 2 OL we got were probably just as good as he is. Both can probably play guard or tackle.

I don't think we are having a great draft. But it's a solid and smart draft. Spencer will have a shot at starting this year. Outside of that we may not see a guy play from this draft unless it's on special teams.

I hope you're right. I'd hate to see Romo get killed out there by a questionable offensive lineman. Either way, myself and a few others seem to think the Stanbeck pick has a certain someone's fingerprints all over all. :eek:

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
wayne motley;1478421 said:
I wouldn't have done a single thing differently...I think JJ had a great draft this time.

I personally would have probably stayed at 53 in round 2 and taken a guy I was interested in, but he probably made the right move...we have to trust that he went with his draft board and trusted his scouts.

The extra picks were too hard to pass up on.

FOR marginal talents, JJ does have to think about money...he's about to dish out a lot of it to T.O.

I totally agree with both Cleveland trades. You think the Stanbeck pick was a good pick????

Kilyin

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1478428 said:
I'd hate to see Romo get killed out there by a questionable offensive lineman.

He survived a broken down Marco Rivera complimented by Kyle Kosier on the other side, I think he'll be okay. Maybe Romo will actually have a pocket to throw from now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyJeff;1478438 said:
You think the Stanbeck pick was a good pick????
Yes. Maybe taken a little earlier than I would have preferred but you do what you have to do. Same with our draft. We don't know what happens behind closed doors. It's easy to second guess trades and picks watching the draft on TV. Until we know (and we never will) what the Cowboy brass this thinking about any certain player, what seems unthinkable to us could be exactly what the Cowboys were expecting.

NickZepp

Reaction score
After Romo started playing our offensive line wasn't really a problem. We got better play there and the playcalling fit the line better. I don't know if we will get the same playcalling this year. That's an issue. But I like the starters there. We just need depth at the line.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Not sure I would have taken Carpenter last year, given Spencer this year. :)

But as far as this year goes, I really like the 1st trade with the Browns and the trade with the Eagles.

I'm not sure about the second trade with the Browns, though.

Kilyin

Reaction score
NickZepp;1478481 said:
After Romo started playing our offensive line wasn't really a problem.

You don't think so? I gotta disagree. Romo had to make too many plays with his feet because of breakdowns in the OL. And there wasn't an OL out there that could've protected Bledsoe.

As far as the topic of the thread, I wouldn't have made a trade with the Eagles.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would have either, but at least they wasted their pick on a QB. At best for them he becomes a good player and gets McNabb out of there.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I'm not super thrilled about how the draft has gone so far (other than taking Cleveland's #1 next year). BUT, if Spencer was their pick all along, it's hard to fault Jerry for bouncing back up to get him (Cowboyshad Spencer's name ontheri card @22 before trading with Cleveland). I would have liked to get Solia in the 4th to address DT and a CB with our 2nd 4th to challenge Reeves and Jones. Thrilled or not, the O-line WAS addressed and depth had been an achilles heel on this team for quite some time. The biggest "huh?" pick was the QB from Washington. I still don't get that one. We have enough "project" WRs there had to have been better value at that spot than what we got. Yet, I don't get paid for a living to do this type of thing either. I guess you just gotta trust that your scouts did their due dilligence.

SS

:star: