I'll be so upset with our front office if Bollinger doesn't play

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Here are my reasons.

1. We know now exactly what Brad Johnson is going to give us. Its clear he still knows the game mentally but he just doesn't have it at all anymore physically.

2. Brian Broadus who was a former NFL scout and even some of our own posters who have attended games have said guys are open and he isn't getting them the ball.

3. There is a misconception he is protecting the ball. The guy is very erratic and turned it over like crazy vs the Rams and he was very fortunate to not turn the ball over several times vs the Bucs

4. Bollinger is an unknown.

You see guys who haven't played all the time that step in and have a big game and then eventually fizzle out. We just need him to have that 1 big game for us.

Nobody knows how he will perform in this offense and that is a good thing.

5. It sends a message to the team that "we are holding nothing back"

Johnson is definetely holding this offense back.

6. Bollinger is young and still has physical skills.

Like I said earlier, Johnson just doesn't have the physical skills anymore and according to people who have seen Bollinger play he can at least take off and run at times.

My most important reason

7. If Tony Romo does get hurt again we all know the season is done with Brad Johnson.

Dallas will be wishing they made this move if Romo goes down again if for no other reason they will know what they got.

------------

We need a care taker but we also need someone who can make some plays down field when the opportunity is there.

3 YPA will not cut it.

Its the smart move short term and long term.

If we win this game all bets are off and the NFC East is anyones.

If Johnson plays its an Auto Loss.

So Jason, Wade, Jerry.... Please do the right thing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I agree Catch. If he doesn't play we should send Fedor to Valley Ranch on Monday to whoop the front office:D

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Then prepare to get upset because he isn't playing.

mnky2hvn

Reaction score
Right. So someone who has taken ZERO snaps with the first team is going to be ready in three practice's to play the defending world champs on their home field.
Add to that with an offensive line that has played poorly against a Giants pass rush that beat the hell out of Big Ben in Pitt last week, and...
Sorry. I'll take the experienced guy.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I think Johnson will have a short leash too.

If Brooks comes in, it will at least be with the game in reach. I expect us to run the ball right at them Sunday, and hope our 'rejuvenated' defense can force some turnovers for once.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I'm on that same boat Catch

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
mnky2hvn;2383764 said:
Right. So someone who has taken ZERO snaps with the first team is going to be ready in three practice's to play the defending world champs on their home field.
Add to that with an offensive line that has played poorly against a Giants pass rush that beat the hell out of Big Ben in Pitt last week, and...

I agree completely. Post more.

OTOH I wouldn't be shocked for them to have to put him in.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
mnky2hvn;2383764 said:
watch some more tv:thumbup:

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
mnky2hvn;2383764 said:

and may I add his record is like 2-8 as a starter, or something stupid like that. has no arm, cut by how many teams?

didn't we have a 3rd stringer we let go last year that would be good in this position? Oh yeah, um we did.

basically, we are screwed anyway. the guy can't scramble, sux, etc

Catch17, love ya bro, but put your "oh start the backup because he is awesome" flag waving away.

sorry, but i'll take "Experienced Suck" over "unexperienced suck". you have a better chance of not sucking as bad.

(sorry about all those vacumn references, but had to make a point)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
mnky2hvn;2383764 said:

I don't know if he'll be ready or not.

I just know if guys are open down field I would hope he wouldn't be so quick to give up on a play and check it down like Johnson does.

As far as the Giants pass rush being so good thats even more of a reason to play Bollinger.

He does have some escapability.

I would take the experienced guy too 99.9% of the time. But experience means jack squat if you have no physical abilities to back it up.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
hate to tell you, he has no escapability. just because he is younger, doen't mean he can escape

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2383749 said:
4. Bollinger is an unknown.

You see guys who haven't played all the time that step in and have a big game and then eventually fizzle out. We just need him to have that 1 big game for us.

Nobody knows how he will perform in this offense and that is a good thing.
While I agree that opponents would have to adjust to him playing in this offense, I have to disagree with him being an unknown. Opponents have plenty of game film on him from 2005, so they are aware of his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses passing the ball.
CATCH17;2383749 said:
5. It sends a message to the team that "we are holding nothing back"

Johnson is definetely holding this offense back.
It'll also send the message that the coaches have zero faith in Johnson, which would be fine should Bollinger have success. However, should he fail, the team will not see any light at the end of either tunnel for both backup quarterbacks. How can your team rally around a backup quarterback if it last hope for success has already been squashed in their eyes?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
this fiasco should never be possible, if only we had a real GM and football guy setting our roster.

this reminds me of when Tuna needed to play Drew B. instead of Romo then finally benched him mid-game as the season was unraveling before his eyes.

brad is not "protecting the ball". bollinger really stinks too, but at least he poses a slight threat to actually PASS THE BALL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
HighTechDave;2383793 said:
hate to tell you, he has no escapability. just because he is younger, doen't mean he can escape

I know he was Wisconsins all time leading rusher at QB and I haven't seen anyone besides yourself say he doesn't have some ability as a scrambler.

I've seen the guy play and to be honest I never really payed attention while he was playing.

But if Romo goes down for any long period of time again than not playing Bollinger this week becomes just that much more of a mistake.

Im not expecting much. Just someone who can play within this offense and get these playmakers the ball.

Brad Johnson can't do that. At all.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hope you actually meant to say you'll be upset with Wade and Jason...because I don't think any of us are in favor of the front office, namely Jerry Jones, who does a great job as owner and a good job as gm, making decisions about who plays and who doesn't...that's not a decision that any owner or gm should be making.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
playing Brooks is a no-brainer

or if we stay w/ Brad, we really have to change up our offense

slant, slant, slant

TEs running deep-middle routes

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DallasEast;2383807 said:
While I agree that opponents would have to adjust to him playing in this offense, I have to disagree with him being an unknown. Opponents have plenty of game film on him from 2005, so they are aware of his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses passing the ball.

It'll also send the message that the coaches have zero faith in Johnson, which would be fine should Bollinger have success. However, should he fail, the team will not see any light at the end of either tunnel for both backup quarterbacks. How can your team rally around a backup quarterback if it last hope for success has already been squashed in their eyes?

I know he isn't completely unknown but you see guys all the time who step in and play good with a different system and once the team figures out their tendancies within the New System they are in they come back down to earth.

To Answer your 2nd paragraph.

Im not worried about Brad Johnsons feelings. Hes a big boy. He can handle it.

Besides he is gone after this year anyways and if he has to play for any period of time again this season is a wrap.

Short term and long term this is the best move.