I'll say this now

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
the first time we are defending our End Zone inside the 10 or 15 - the Opponent will play action Greg Ellis outta his Converse... IMO - this has disaster written all over it....

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's true, he's not nimble enough to play the position, but at least he's trying. And if he fails, we have any number of suitable replacements.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
the first time we are defending our End Zone inside the 10 or 15 - the Opponent will play action Greg Ellis outta his Converse... IMO - this has disaster written all over it....

Michael... maybe you could say something positive about the team for once OK?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
You finally bring a valuable point to the table.

I'm a little concerned with his hip movement in coverage, but the thing Parcells has going for him is his ability to disguise coverages with Ellis and Ware.

You can't just throw it out in the flat because you never know when Ellis will drop into the flats - on the other hand, you never know when he's coming..

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:

Ah yes, but first they have to get to the 15 yd line:D

Stick with the OL, it's the safe bet:banghead:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Michael... maybe you could say something positive about the team for once OK?
Uh oh. Coming from Mr. pessimistic:p:

OFF Topic Mick

Much respect to you and your daughter. Here's to the 10th Mount kicking ***

I was in the Marine Corp straight out of High School in 1995. In between wars.

Swanny

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
It doesnt matter because no team will ever reach the redzone against this defense heck they would be lucky to cross the 50 yard line

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
How significant can Ellis be at a new position with only a training camp behind him?

I don't think its really that difficult for Greg to do this. He played that same location on the field, just in a down position. The flow of the game as it comes to him is what he's used to. Obviously the pass coverage is somewhat different. But if he doesn't play well at that spot, I'll be surprised. I've coached that position for 20 years. I know when a player can play it, and I think he can definitely do it.
Sorry if I trust Bill Parcells's assessment more, X-dawg.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
zoloft.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
WOW!!! Winki telling some one to be positive :D

Why you rotten *******! LOL!

Hey I've had my share of optimistic points-of-view:

Julius Jones
Rob Petitti
Newman
Watkins
Greg Ellis
Even Romo to a certain extent

It's not all bad all the time! Come'on now! :)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
At this point, I'll put my faith in the coaches not to put Ellis in that position, if he isn't able to handle it. If he's going to be in there at point, I'd hope he is just coming all out for the QB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
Uh oh. Coming from Mr. pessimistic:p:

OFF Topic Mick

Much respect to you and your daughter. Here's to the 10th Mount kicking ***

I was in the Marine Corp straight out of High School in 1995. In between wars.

There's only room on this board for one pessimistic person. :)

Thank you for the kind words! She's in Kuwait now and moves into Iraq in a couple of weeks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
What if the defensive scheme dictated that Ellis blitz the quarterback in that scenario? If his assignment is to rush the quarterback and he didn't get to him before the pass was thrown, how could Ellis be blamed for that? :confused:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
From what I saw of Ellis last week I think he will be just fine at the position. Until I see some real evidence that there is a problem I'll trust Bill's assessment of the situation. Bill thinks Ellis can do it and I have seen no reason to doubt him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It actually would be better for teams to play action to his side out of the red zone.

In the red zone the safeties only play 10 or so yoards off the line versus twice that much elsewhere. Its easier to roll that way.

Additionally, you make it seem as if Ellis is just going to be tricked and be out of position when Ellis' greatest asset is his football acumen. He smells out playaction and screens all the friggihn time.

All in all I would be more concerned with a RB full out running to the flats outside and having Ellis cover than worry about him being tricked in play action. Having Newman Williams Henry Davis and Watkins back there to help makeup a lot of ground certainly helps.

What I really want to know is what team your a fan of. Im guessing Cleveland.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins said:
What I really want to know is what team your a fan of. Im guessing Cleveland.
X-Dawg is a true blue Dallas fan. The Desperados are a very lucky team to count him as such.

j/k X-Dawg :)