Illegal Contact

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of people on ESPN and other media outlets talk about the low quality of football these days and I don't necessarily disagree.

This year I am hearing that the NFL is terrible due to bad quarterbacking and low scoring games. Before this we complained about how all of the rules favored the offense and it had become too easy to see a Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins pass all over the field and put up insane numbers.

It seems to me that, in the few games I have seen, the defense has been allowed to be more touchy in the secondary.

I feel like these scores are closer to what we saw in the late 90s/very early 2000s before the league decided to pass the Peyton Manning rules.

Is it just because I am used to seeing Dez mugged all day? Is the game just bad, or is the defense gaining back some competitive advantage with the rules?

Aven8

Reaction score
Last I heard the illegal contact rule was only lifted for Jenkins in Week 1 via Mara's request. Should, in theory, have been reinstated last week.

Speaking of Jenkins...how the hell did he get hurt not to play last night??? He owns Dez for 60 minutes yet he's out a week later?? What a bunch of bologna!

IheartRomo

Reaction score
It's odd to me that Dez is not getting the illegal contact calls.

Granted some of it is good defense, but man have the refs made it tougher on him.

It almost seems as though his horrific route running that results in his leaving no more than a foot between himself and the sideline invites the ref not to call illegal contact. I can't come up with any other reason for it, especially considering the egregious contact that Jenkins was making with him on seemingly every go route in Week 1.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I'm use to seeing new explanations of rules being enforced on us....

The most profitble team for the NFL gets shizzed on the most and quite often

At least I know it isn't rigged because they would give us(the cash cow team) a super bowl or two since the 90s

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Last I heard the illegal contact rule was only lifted for Jenkins in Week 1 via Mara's request. Should, in theory, have been reinstated last week.

Must've been lifted for the Broncos as well. I don't know how the refs can call that offensive PI against Dez considering the mugging that was going on. Got to call it both ways.

But it's what I always say...I would rather have a slow, grabby corner that tackles well than a non-grabby corner that has all of the measurables and doesn't tackle well.

YR

EST_1986

Reaction score
Never understood this point of emphasis crap.
Shouldn't all the rules be emphasized when broken?
its so annoying, they point out one rule a year to emphasis on. Tank using his hand on the defended which typically doesn't get called is now a point of emphasis and we get dinging for it when it really matters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its so annoying, they point out one rule a year to emphasis on. Tank using his hand on the defended which typically doesn't get called is now a point of emphasis and we get dinging for it when it really matters.

And "15 yards"? Seriously? They're incompetent.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems to me that when Dez is unable to get separation, the DB covering him gets handsy and Dez is certainly inclined to answer with the same thing. Seeing as how they've both been guilty, the refs elect to let it go. It's not likely to change anytime soon -- it's simply the way things are.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of people on ESPN and other media outlets talk about the low quality of football these days and I don't necessarily disagree.

This year I am hearing that the NFL is terrible due to bad quarterbacking and low scoring games. Before this we complained about how all of the rules favored the offense and it had become too easy to see a Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins pass all over the field and put up insane numbers.

It seems to me that, in the few games I have seen, the defense has been allowed to be more touchy in the secondary.

I feel like these scores are closer to what we saw in the late 90s/very early 2000s before the league decided to pass the Peyton Manning rules.

Is it just because I am used to seeing Dez mugged all day? Is the game just bad, or is the defense gaining back some competitive advantage with the rules?
I hope this is true. I'd love to see defense actually be allowed in the NFL

bark

Reaction score
One of the worst calls I've ever seen in an NFL game

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Maybe Mara intercepts and adjusts the referee's email on weekly point of emphasis vs the Giants.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It's been this way since 2015 after being a point of emphasis in 2014. The league got really touchy about illegal contact for a while, then decided to back off, which I think was the end result of the Seattle Seahawks essentially saying we're going to do it because you can't call all of them. Other teams started emulating the Seahawks and the NFL started to let the contact slide.

I'd prefer to see some middle ground. Obviously, when the receiver is giving as well as he takes, then there should be no call. But some of what they are letting the defenders get away with is clearly affecting receivers' ability to go up and make plays on the ball.

Found numbers to support this:

In 2014, 102 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

In 2015, 59 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

In 2016, 41 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

Last edited:

TheHerd

Reaction score
Seems to me that when Dez is unable to get separation, the DB covering him gets handsy and Dez is certainly inclined to answer with the same thing. Seeing as how they've both been guilty, the refs elect to let it go. It's not likely to change anytime soon -- it's simply the way things are.

Which is fine if you let Dez do it as well. That OPI call was bogus within what was established as the acceptable contact parameters of the game.

TheHerd

Reaction score
It's been this way since 2015 after being a point of emphasis in 2014. The league got really touchy about illegal contact for a while, then decided to back off, which I think was the end result of the Seattle Seahawks essentially saying we're going to do it because you can't call all of them. Other teams started emulating the Seahawks and the NFL started to let the contact slide.

I'd prefer to see some middle ground. Obviously, when the receiver is giving as well as he takes, then there should be no call. But some of what they are letting the defenders get away with is clearly affecting receivers' ability to go up and make plays on the ball.

Found numbers to support this:

In 2014, 102 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

In 2015, 59 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

In 2016, 41 illegal contact penalties were accepted.

Certain teams get reps for their style of play and get away with more of it as a result. Seattle for sure. When a defender leaves Seattle to go elsewhere, there is no chance they will be as effective because they can't do the same things to receivers. Philly did this in the Johnson era. He even said it out loud a few times.

Part of it is coaching to the application of the rules. The Emperor is known to teach the DBs how to commit penalties which will not be called. The most basic is when you are beat, turn around before committig PI. Simple enough, but our DBs NEVER do that. We just plow through the receiver and get called every time. Second to that is if the receiver is between you and the ref, grab away because the ref can't see it and is therefore much less inclined to call anything. Look at Jenkins grabbing Dez's facemask no that failed fade from the 3. Not called because the ref was behind Dez. That's actually a very smart play by the DB.