Illegal Shift

Creeper

Reaction score
During the Chargers game the Cowboys were called for an illegal shift and the official called it on numbers 88 and 3. However, when the Cowboys lined up, #3 (Cooks) never went in motion. #88 (Lamb) did. The ball was snapped as Lamb lined up and he was not set for 1 second. It is my understanding that this is an illegal motion penalty and not an illegal shift, which requires two players to be in motion without all of them getting set for 1 second.

Later in the game they called the same penalty on the Chargers, this time it was a receiver in motion and the LT. But again, the LT was never in motion. Just the receiver who also did not get set for 1 second. Illegal motion, or illegal shift?

Illegal shift and illegal motion are both 5 yards penalties so it really doesn't matter to the result but why call illegal shift and not illegal motion?

Did anyone else catch this, or do I have this wrong?

Brax

Reaction score
During the Chargers game the Cowboys were called for an illegal shift and the official called it on numbers 88 and 3. However, when the Cowboys lined up, #3 (Cooks) never went in motion. #88 (Lamb) did. The ball was snapped as Lamb lined up and he was not set for 1 second. It is my understanding that this is an illegal motion penalty and not an illegal shift, which requires two players to be in motion without all of them getting set for 1 second.

Later in the game they called the same penalty on the Chargers, this time it was a receiver in motion and the LT. But again, the LT was never in motion. Just the receiver who also did not get set for 1 second. Illegal motion, or illegal shift?

Illegal shift and illegal motion are both 5 yards penalties so it really doesn't matter to the result but why call illegal shift and not illegal motion?

I believe it’s because one was moving and the other wasn’t set for a full second before the snap happens when the ball is snapped a little quicker than it should be

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Refs are Creeps

Creeper

Reaction score
I did hear the ref say, "illegal shift, two men moving". Yet it was only one. Who knows anymore
That's my point. The play where they called Lamb and Cooks. Cooks lined up outside right immediately and never moved. Lamb went in motion to the left stopped but just as he stopped the ball was snapped so he was not set for 1 second.

What's weird is the rules allow one player in the backfield to go in motion and not come to a stop. It is very confusing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don’t know but I’m always holding my breath waiting for a flag when CeeDee lazily is the last one to line up just before the ball is snapped.

csirl

Reaction score
Doesnt there have to be a period of 1 second where all players are still before any player is allowed go in motion?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need our rules expert / ref protecter to chime in on this one.
He claims he knows all the rules, and we all don't.
:laugh:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I chalk it up to me getting old, but it seems as if tackles routinely start early on pass plays and it’s overlooked.

Not just our games.

Creeper

Reaction score
Doesnt there have to be a period of 1 second where all players are still before any player is allowed go in motion?
Yes. But in the cases I cited I did not see where two players were not set which is why I raised the question.

Creeper

Reaction score
I chalk it up to me getting old, but it seems as if tackles routinely start early on pass plays and it’s overlooked.

Not just our games.
I see the same thing. IN the Cowboys Chargers game I saw two instances where the RT left before the ball was snapped and he was not called. But I saw a number of instances where it looked like the Cowboys lined up in the neutral zone and weren't called either. I was wondering if this is something Quinn teaches, to get as close as possible to the LOS.

And on the Tush Push play, I saw 2 Chargers lined up over the LOS so much so that their helmets were behind Biadasz's. Several other Chargers players were clearly in the neutral zone. This seems to be the case whenever the Tush Push is run, but the refs never all a neutral zone infraction. I suspect if they do not allow the defense to line up helmet to helmet the Tush Push would never fail. I read somewhere that Jason Kelce actually sets up over the LOS which is maybe why he is so successful getting space for Hurts.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Refs are Creeps
20 flags in a single game, while opposing linemen were holding Dallas players as well...guess sometimes their focus goes onto scoring play outcomes. Then Dallas has their usual scrutiny.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's my point. The play where they called Lamb and Cooks. Cooks lined up outside right immediately and never moved. Lamb went in motion to the left stopped but just as he stopped the ball was snapped so he was not set for 1 second.

What's weird is the rules allow one player in the backfield to go in motion and not come to a stop. It is very confusing.
As long as he doesn't move toward the line of scrimmage, even at a slight angle, a single motioner can be moving at the snap. It's when he turns upfield that he has to stop and set for at least a second.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see the same thing. IN the Cowboys Chargers game I saw two instances where the RT left before the ball was snapped and he was not called. But I saw a number of instances where it looked like the Cowboys lined up in the neutral zone and weren't called either. I was wondering if this is something Quinn teaches, to get as close as possible to the LOS.

And on the Tush Push play, I saw 2 Chargers lined up over the LOS so much so that their helmets were behind Biadasz's. Several other Chargers players were clearly in the neutral zone. This seems to be the case whenever the Tush Push is run, but the refs never all a neutral zone infraction. I suspect if they do not allow the defense to line up helmet to helmet the Tush Push would never fail. I read somewhere that Jason Kelce actually sets up over the LOS which is maybe why he is so successful getting space for Hurts.
Maybe MM should point that out before the game starts against the Eagles. Maybe the official will call it then.