I'm Convinced... that Wade Phillips needs to be fired

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not pleased with Jed Clampett either... but he won't be fired-- yet.

sago1

Reaction score
Guys, let's remember that Reeves was a 7th round pick so it's not like we could expect much from him. In fact during preseason it sure looked like both he and Nate Jones would get the boot.

Jones needs to have a very good off season FA, the draft and signing some new coaches to get this team to at least go deep in the playoffs. Frankly, if we don't win at least 1 playoff game next year, it won't matter how many games we win cause Jerry will kick Phillips butt out the door.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TonyS;1906065 said:
Who decided that A. Glenn was replaceable by J. Reeves? Who decided to keep Reeves out there even though he was lost and everyone could see it. Who decided not to coach well enough to help Reeves know where to be and how to tackle?

The difference between Wade and better coaches is that he trusts his assistants to do their job and is just an overseer. This team needs a fiery leader who will ensure that his assistants are doing their jobs before, during and after we take the field.

I don't think Wade is that guy and it will be evident next year.

You don't fire a 13-3 after 1 season that is just stupid. As for being an overseer? are you kidding that is all Jimmy Johnson was when we had Dave Shula running the offense we stunk, enter norv turner and the offense got going but that was never Jimmy Johnson offense or defense. It was Turner offense and Wannstead then Butch Davis defense

TonyS

Reaction score
Stupid is thinking that Wade will fix this. He's hapy being 13-3

Kangaroo

Reaction score
montgod;1905876 said:
I think he skates... unless Cowher or someone else who is a big time coach expresses interest.

I think people have issue with Wade because he seemed to mail it in like Switzer did during his campaign. Shoot... at least Switzer talked more on his headset and looked like he was coaching during the game. Wade just looks like he is one of the spectators watching a game.

Perception isn't the problem though. It just looks like the Boys lacked discipline with so many penalties during the year. Yes, it wasn't all Wade's fault, but can you get on the OL coach for the penalties? Or the ST coach? Do something!!

And with what the players said, it was just a relaxed atmosphere. That's a good thing to a degree, but not if you are committing so many mental mistakes during the game. There needs to be accountability and I just feel like Wade is like your grandpa who just sits you on his knee and says... lets do better and that's that.

With Jimmy Johnson, you knew that if you screwed up, there was a chance you would be cut. He was a players coach, but don't screw up the team or you will be gone tomorrow.

And that's the level of respect as a coach you want on a team.

You mean the same metal mistakes we saw under Iron Hand Bill. I mean what the differences in the penalties he was a disciplinarian yet the guys had lots of stupid penalties

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TonyS;1906139 said:
Stupid is thinking that Wade will fix this. He's hapy being 13-3

and you know this how?

lord people LOVE to ***ume things...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rangers71;1906058 said:
Anyone that wants to fire Wade is an idiot. Please stop this nonsense. Why is this Wades fault? How many tackles did he have on Sunday? How many dropped passes? Did he jump offsides? Did he throw the ball out of bounds? When is it the players fault?

I've got a word for you: Discipline

...and that my friend is Wade Phillips fault. The Cowboys are clearly the better team, but they lost because they didn't have discipline.

In my opinion, Parcells is to hard, and Wade is to soft. I think thats one reason Jimmy was so successful here in Dallas. Yes, Jimmy was a hard man, but if you did your job he didn't bash you. Parcells does. He never gives praise, he only gives criticism. Wade Phillips on the other hand is to soft. He sits back and lets you do your thing, and then just lets you go when you don't perform instead of riding you until you get it right.

If you weren't performing you hated Jimmy, if you were performing you loved Jimmy. Why do you think Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin loved Jimmy while there were others who didn't last on the team hated him?

To me there is a fine line and most coaches are over it (Parcells) or under it (Phillips) No coach should be universally liked or hated. If there is, then he isn't as effective as he could be.

notherbob

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1906122 said:
I'm not pleased with Jed Clampett either... but he won't be fired-- yet.

Yes, but Jethro is the real problem and he isn't going to let go of control until they slam and lock that door to the psychiatric ward behind him and he no longer has any legal decision making authority.

rangers71

Reaction score
Ok so you fire Wade. Please tell me who you hire. And for god sakes do not say Jimmy Johnson. He is never coaching again.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1905983 said:
Wade is a damn good coach

Yes, he is.

Too bad he has this nasty habit of not winning playoff games.

kbman

Reaction score
nyc;1906154 said:

...and that my friend is Wade Phillips fault. The Cowboys are clearly the better team, but they lost because they didn't have discipline.

In my opinion, Parcells is to hard, and Wade is to soft. I think thats one reason Jimmy was so successful here in Dallas. Yes, Jimmy was a hard man, but if you did your job he didn't bash you. Parcells does. He never gives praise, he only gives criticism. Wade Phillips on the other hand is to soft. He sits back and lets you do your thing, and then just lets you go when you don't perform instead of riding you until you get it right.

If you weren't performing you hated Jimmy, if you were performing you loved Jimmy. Why do you think Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin loved Jimmy while there were others who didn't last on the team hated him?

To me there is a fine line and most coaches are over it (Parcells) or under it (Phillips) No coach should be universally liked or hated. If there is, then he isn't as effective as he could be.

:hammer:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
We have a good core - let's try some continuity under Wade "we're 13 and 4" Phillips, as opposed to hopping on the coaching carousel on an annual basis just as a knee-jerk reaction to each playoff defeat.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rangers71;1906165 said:
Ok so you fire Wade. Please tell me who you hire. And for god sakes do not say Jimmy Johnson. He is never coaching again.

Well, many people here on CZ hate Bill Cowher, but if you notice he is a hard man to play for, but several of his players loved him. (Hell, Joey Porter kissed him on the sideline!)

Am I saying hire Cowher? No, though he is an option. I wouldn't be completely opposed to Garrett. Garrett isn't real fiery from what I know, but he seems like he can be quite blunt with players and I have little doubt that he can be impartial and shrewd in his decision. Players seem to like him, but the question is. Can he raise the level of fire within himself to the most out of his players? Crayton seems somewhat less of a player that walks the walk and more like just a talker. While in the end, it's Wade problem to resolve, Garrett is on the staff also.

As I said yesterday when talking to Chocolate Lab. The last thing you do is stay with something you know will fail because you don't see a proven winner on the market. Sometimes you have to take a chance and get someone you think can do the job even without the experience. Jerry made that move when he fired Landry and hired Johnson instead of many other coaching options the NFL already had instead of Jimmy.

Those who are affraid to try, can never win. Wade has proven he cannot get it done when it matters. Get someone that can, or give someone a chance to prove they can. Odds in winning a playoff game are better with someone else than they are with Wade Phillips.

Route 66

Reaction score
nyc;1906154 said:

:eek: Post of the day!:)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This past season will not be a true indication of the Phillips effect any more than the 2003 season under Coach Parcells was a harbinger of things to come.

If my suspicions hold true, we will come right down to earth next season with a decidedly different record and the pressure will be on Mister Wade this time next year. I predict a 10-6 type season and the pressure would be on to win a playoff game. If that doesn't occur, he will be fired, without question.

This isn't the first time a Cowboy team in recent memory exceeded expectations. I just hope we do not believe or accept the level of achievement this year and continue to strive to get better.

The absolute worst thing would be to sit back and be content as we were back in the offseason prior to the 2004 campaign.

Randy White

Reaction score
eduncan22;1905779 said:
No way he skates on this disaster.

Ok, no way he'd come back to coach this year but to call this team a " disaster " is bit of a hyperbole, don't you think ?