I'm dying to see Payton's thoughts on Romo

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...what Payton thinks is the best way to defend Romo.

Payton knows Romo better than anybody. He's sure to put a plan together that attacks (what he sees as) Tony's strengths and exposes his weaknesses. So is there a blueprint for making Tony look bad? If there is, I expect to see it this week. (Of course, the Saints might not have the personnel on D to pull it off, anyway).

Any thoughts on what he might do? I'm pretty sure they'll work hard on keeping him contained in the pocket, much like teams try to do with Vick. Romo's just too dangerous on the move, because of his uncanny accuracy on the run. Not that he's bad in the pocket, but they have a better shot if they don't let him extend the play. This one isn't rocket surgery, of course. I'm really curious if Payton has any schemes in mind (disguising coverage, etc.) that he thinks will confuse Romo.

sago1

Reaction score
He'll disguise their defensive scheme so they can slow down his quick reads/release forcing him hold onto the ball longer and therefore pressure him/sack.
Bring late blitzes to pressure him/sack,
Try containing him in the pocket.

All this contingent on whether they have the defensive players to get the job done. I do recall that Fujita was good against his old team in bringing a late blitz that got thru RB Larry Johnson to sack QB Trent Green in that KC-Dallas game back in 05; big reason we won that game. I'd expect see that play again against Romo but hopefully our guys pick that up. Better believe Parcells will remember that play & so will Zimmer.

BTW: Don't forget that why they scheme against us, we also will scheme against them. We did beat Brees in 2005 season opener when he was with SD. I'm sure Cowboys will study that film along with recent NO films. I might add that even vet QBs like Brees (as well as Peyton Manning) can have defenses bring confusing formations successfully against them. Also how mobile is Brees compared with Manning?