Im gonna ask...Is this a Super Bowl team?

DipChit

Reaction score
And lets remember.. particularly in the NFC it's not like the NFC of 12-13 years ago. Teams and fans then knew that if they didnt do domething extraordinary to get better.. a virtual impossibility.. there was no way they were gonna get by us or S.F... that was the case for how many years on end. Then the Pack had their moment for a couple years finally after we began the slide.

But since then we've had like 8 diff reps in the last 9 years (Rams 2 times). No reason to think this year it wont make it 9 out of 10. Whether it's us or one of the other teams mentioned.

And this coming from a big time pessimist who tends to think every years team just isnt quite good enuff.. no matter how good we really are.. until they prove it again. As opposed to the type fan that always just think's we're "#1 Baby!!" until it's proven otherwise.

At least we can be mentioned as a contenda.. with a straight face for a change.

lspain1

Reaction score
Well, I'm not here to argue about LB's. I don't think we are a super bowl team. Our OL seems suspect to me and our kicking game has a big question mark on it as well.

DipChit

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Well, I'm not here to argue about LB's. I don't think we are a super bowl team. Our OL seems suspect to me and our kicking game has a big question mark on it as well.

Hear ya on the o-line. Who can argue that usually the better o-lines are made up of a unit thats played together for a while for the most part. Not those that are wishy-washy on Center, got a new LG, new RT and so on. Not to mention questionable coaching of the unit.

As for kicker I'd like to think that if Vandy has totally lost it.. cause of health or mentally or both, that he'd just pack it in. He's not going to do any good for our team or his "legacy" if he ends up being Cortez part II when the games matter. It's one thing for a "real" player to try and hang on by a hope and a prayer. At least he has 10 other guys around him on play after play that can help bail him out.

Oh well, we're fixin to find out these things here real soon.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Right now, no....

Too many questions.

We have a questionable OL, we have an iffy kicker, and we're relying on our defense to take the next step.

Now, all these questions can be answered positively....or not.

The OL seems to be the biggest worry. Will these guys cut it? Flo hasn't quite recovered totally. Kosier is average. Gurode seems to be unreliable. Columbo has never lived up to his billing (he was terribly injured, I know).

And, although I'll be called crazy for this, I'm a little concerned about the defense. Yes, we're very solid. But are we really dominant?

I don't think we are yet. Yes, we have some exciting young pieces, but we really don't know how they'll respond yet. Our secondary is pretty good.

I still worry about our ability to stop the run. Minnesota and San Fran both had some success running against us. I've never been a fan of the 3-4 due to the fact that there are running lanes right up the gut.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
bbgun said:
No. The o-line and kicking game will continue to be our undoing. Plus, we're still counting on linebackers to get sacks. Fergy and Spears are runstuffers at best.

So the 34 will work exactly how its supposed to? :banghead:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
After watching the Steelers magical mystery tour en route to winning SB....

WE HAVE A SHOT!

Our SB victory will not leave any doubts...

I am still scratching my head about that one(steelers)....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Not yet, but by the end of the season, it could be. A lot of things would have to happen.

Flo and Columbo would have to stay healthy with Columbo living up to his draft status of a long time ago.

Vandy would heave to return to the forum he had before his last kick last year.

Julius and Barber would have to move the chains and run the clock.

TO and Bledsoe would need some chemistry with no circus atmosphere. I still think we're a passing offense not a run offense.

Few injuries. None would be better but is unrealistic.

The defense needs to apply constant pressure in every way possible.

Those things could hapen right off the bat, but I think they are more likely developed and part of character.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Not yet, but by the end of the season, it could be. A lot of things would have to happen.

Flo and Columbo would have to stay healthy with Columbo living up to his draft status of a long time ago.

Vandy would heave to return to the forum he had before his last kick last year.

Julius and Barber would have to move the chains and run the clock.

TO and Bledsoe would need some chemistry with no circus atmosphere. I still think we're a passing offense not a run offense.

Few injuries. None would be better but is unrealistic.

The defense needs to apply constant pressure in every way possible.

Those things could hapen right off the bat, but I think they are more likely developed and part of character.

I agree completely. Especially with what I outlined in your quote. Basically, our running game has been anemic, and we're going to have to open it up with the pass.

I don't nessecarily think it's a bad thing, but with the type of defense we have, it would be nice to have a ground game to go with it.

To those of you who think that Parcells is stubborn and will just pound the ball no matter what the results are, that's not right, as you saw by how often Bledsoe used to throw in New England.

This team will be carried by the defense, but the offensive line will have a big part in determining how far we really can go. If they can't make it happen against 7 man fronts, we are in big time trouble. I don't honestly see how a team will consistantly bring 8 into the box with Glenn and Owens at WR.

Smith22

Reaction score
Hos and Billy nailed it IMO. 8 man fronts against us will be very tough to do with both TO and Glenn at WR and Witten at TE. I expect our running game to struggle early, but once TO and Bledsoe show some chemistry, expect things to open up some on the ground.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kangaroo said:
That is what LBers are suppose to do in a 3-4 and dlinemen are suppose to be run stuffer and eat up linemen :bang2:

Lets see Pittsburg a 3-4 defense got 47 team sacks the two players with the most sacks where

Porter 10.5 and haggans 9 both where LB's

The next highest was 3.5 DE

Then we had 5 players that tied at 3 sacks here is the break down by poistions
1. Lb
2. SS
3. DB
4. LB
5. DE

So the Superbowl defense had just as many sacks from their secondary as their dline

So would you like to withdraw your statement

There ya go feeding the trolls facts again ..... You know they are Factous intolerance.