Im not feeling anxiety about 10

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I feel good about all of the prospects at 10, from Surtain, to Horn, to Sewell, to Slater, to Parsons. Sure we can nit pick each player, but I feel good about what each of them adds. And I really dont see them making a suprise pick at 10. This is in contrasts to last year, where I was really gritting my teeth over a few guys at 17.

I just don't feel like an OL can help us right away, surely needed but not day 1 starter

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I feel good about all of the prospects at 10, from Surtain, to Horn, to Sewell, to Slater, to Parsons. Sure we can nit pick each player, but I feel good about what each of them adds. And I really dont see them making a suprise pick at 10. This is in contrasts to last year, where I was really gritting my teeth over a few guys at 17.

I just don't feel like an OL can help us right away, surely needed but not day 1 starter

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should not feel anxiety about picking at 10. You should feel anxiety because of who's doing the picking.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Marinelli was pure garbage. Every prospect he had his eye on absolutely sucked. 7 years of that. Then they would draft one of his pet projects and he'd be jumping for joy. Clown. He was here 7 years too long. And Garrett 13 too long.

I really like Marinelli as a coach in the front 7.

He shouldn't have had draft room influence, though. I agree with you there. Not many coaches should. In my opinion, coaches usually suck at it because of pet cat fever.

Big_D

Reaction score
I really like Marinelli as a coach in the front 7.

He shouldn't have had draft room influence, though. I agree with you there. Not many coaches should. In my opinion, coaches usually suck at it because of pet cat fever.

Under Garrett they kept going to the Detroit Lions well of talent? Why not grab the 0-16 guy. I don't care what he did along the front 7 when his choices in the draft room killed them regularly. The D sucked. That 4th and 24. LOL That defines him here. It could've been 4th and 50.... TD.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like our board right now.
i think sewell,surtain and parsons go off the board before 10 and we take horn.
if im wrong and both cb's are gone....then i think slater is the guy.
i love what we could get from either cb and slater.

i would love parsons at 10 but im not sure they do...and i think he goes 9th to denver any way.

sewell would be a absolute dream pick...like :flagwave:CEEDEE:flagwave: last year.

all that to say
cincy takes sewell @5.
carolina takes surtain @8.
denver swerves and gets parsons @9.
which means we get our play-maker on defense @10...JAYCEE HORN,CB-SOUTH CAROLINA.
alongside Diggs for the next decade....we put the nfc east in LOCK-DOWN.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Under Garrett they kept going to the Detroit Lions well of talent? Why not grab the 0-16 guy. I don't care what he did along the front 7 when his choices in the draft room killed them regularly. The D sucked. That 4th and 24. LOL That defines him here.It could've been 4th and 50.... TD.

Well I disagree but that's ok.

Every front 7 he worked with got better nearly every year and he has some extremely solid units on his resume.

Even in Dallas we were top 10 in lots of categories under him. If they'd have just given him some real talent instead of asking him to coach up Nick Hayden then we'd have likely got somewhere.

In all his time here, Marinelli had Lee, DLaw, and then a ton of rejects to work with.

I've just always disliked how everyone screams at the Jones Boys for not investing in defensive tackle and then screams at Marinelli for not making our DTs into probowlers. I always think "you just told me he had no talent to work with, why are you surprised???".

Sydla

Reaction score
Marinelli was pure garbage. Every prospect he had his eye on absolutely sucked. 7 years of that. Then they would draft one of his pet projects and he'd be jumping for joy. Clown. He was here 7 years too long. And Garrett 13 too long.

I can really think of only one "win" for Marinelli, at least that was reported............ that was when the scouts wanted Sharif Floyd and Marinelli wanted no part of him. We ended up with Frederick and Floyd fizzled out.

Sydla

Reaction score

Every front 7 he worked with got better nearly every year and he has some extremely solid units on his resume.

Even in Dallas we were top 10 in lots of categories under him. If they'd have just given him some real talent instead of asking him to coach up Nick Hayden then we'd have likely got somewhere.

In all his time here, Marinelli had Lee, DLaw, and then a ton of rejects to work with.

I've just always disliked how everyone screams at the Jones Boys for not investing in defensive tackle and then screams at Marinelli for not making our DTs into probowlers. I always think "you just told me he had no talent to work with, why are you surprised???".

This is a bit of revisionism here. For example, acting like it was the Jones' who foisted Hayden on Marinelli isn't accurate. Marinelli was a big proponent of Hayden. He was one reason he lasted as long as he did here. The Cowboys/Jones put a lot of faith in what Marinelli wanted to do and the kinds of players he wanted.

It's a cop out to try to blame the Jones solely for any talent issues Marinelli had. For example, if it were not for Marinelli, we'd be watching TJ Watt sacking QBs instead of watching Taco Charlton playing a crappy DE for some other NFL team.

You give Marinelli way too big a pass for our crappy defenses over the years.

Big_D

Reaction score

He's part of that. Part of the process, part of the strategy of passing on DT in the 1st place. He wanted Nick Hayden. lol He was the DC who does more than coach the front 7. You can shine him up, but every decision he made spiraled into crap. His philosophy at safety. He's not just in charge of 7 players. I'm certainly not surprised that he played a part in all of it and they sucked as a result. I'm sure Quinn will have input and after 7 seasons if the D is terrible he'll be held just as accountable. Countless meetings with your coordinators etc. can't just blame the Joneses on this one. Then why have coaches in the first place? This is a group effort on all fronts. I'm no fan of Jerry, but Marinelli wasn't helping improve the overall defense and it was certainly part of the problem.

Last edited:

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
He's part of that. Part of the process, part of the strategy of passing on DT in the 1st place. He wanted Nick Hayden. lol He was the DC who does more than coach the front 7. You can shine him up, but every decision he made spiraled into crap. His philosophy at safety. He's not just in charge of 7 players. I'm certainly not surprised that he played a part in all of it and they sucked as a result. I'm sure Quinn will have input and after 7 seasons if the D is terrible he'll be held just as accountable. Countless meetings with your coordinators etc. can't just blame the Joneses on this one. Then why have coaches in the first place? This is a group effort on all fronts. I'm no fan of Jerry, but Marinelli wasn't helping improve the overall defense and it was certainly part of the problem.
This is a bit of revisionism here. For example, acting like it was the Jones' who foisted Hayden on Marinelli isn't accurate. Marinelli was a big proponent of Hayden. He was one reason he lasted as long as he did here. The Cowboys/Jones put a lot of faith in what Marinelli wanted to do and the kinds of players he wanted.

It's a cop out to try to blame the Jones solely for any talent issues Marinelli had. For example, if it were not for Marinelli, we'd be watching TJ Watt sacking QBs instead of watching Taco Charlton playing a crappy DE for some other NFL team.

You give Marinelli way too big a pass for our crappy defenses over the years.

I believe I specifically said he shouldn't have had input on player acquisition. No one should have listened to him when he said we're ok with Hayden. But the Jones did listen because they make bad choices and so Marinelli did the best he could with Hayden.

He should have been told to hush when he wanted Taco, and then he should have been given Watt, and then he would have helped Watt do amazing.

And safety was mentioned. Dallas wasn't properly investing in safety long before Marinelli showed up.

Im ok with you guys disagreeing with me. I see no reason to believe Marinelli can't be a DL positional coach. I think he's great at that, and I don't think it's fair to say he sucks at that just because he convinced the Jones Boys that he could make do with what he had.

He's just a coach with pet cats who believes in his people. That doesn't make him bad at teaching DTs how to rush the passer.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
There is no way they can screw this pick up, no matter who they take...book it! This year, it's fool-proof. So Surtain, Horn, Slater, Parsons, or the Pitts Miracle...whatever happens, it will be a cakewalk :dance:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You should not feel anxiety about picking at 10. You should feel anxiety because of who's doing the picking.

The Cowboys 1st round picks have been pretty good overall for the last 30 years. Pretty good in general for the Cowboys since it’s founding.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Other than Trevor Lawrence and Pitts, there are no players I really, really want. No players other than those two I feel are game changers. The rest of the players scream average to me. Might turn out some really good ones but looks like a weak draft this year.

No anxiety, no passion for me this year with the draft.
Had Jerry not signed Dak, then there would have been a lot of excitement for the draft.