I'm predicting...

Mike 1967

Reaction score
..... a rough year.

Our defense is simply to young and we are installing a brand new scheme.

The defense perfomance will be up and down this year.

Although I think we do have a good chance to finish above 500 and possibly make the playoffs.

IMO....next year is the year that things really start to turn around.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:
..... a rough year.

Although I think we do have a good chance to finish above 500 and possibly make the playoffs.

You may be right.

I am hoping we start seeing a nice improving unit sometime after midseason....not that they can not be good early on, just because of the reasons you mentioned I could see us starting off a little shaky at times.

But still if we hit on those draft pics, this will be an exciting time to see the start of what could be an amazing defense.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Honestly, I could see it go either way. Injuries will be the deciding factor IMO.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
But still if those we hit on those pics, this will be an exciting time to see the start of what could be an amazing defense.

I agree 100%.

It will be exciting to watch this defense build and develop.

- It will be exciting to see the potential of some of our new young athletic defensive players.
- It will be exciting to watch an attacking defense
- It will be exciting to watch a master of the 3-4 (Tuna) mold this unit into a winner.

I am getting very very excited about this teams future over the second half of this decade :- )

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Mike I think you are right...way too many changes going on..to challenge anything this year...then next year Key and Glenn and Bledsoe will be that much older and might decided to retire or be forced into it or play like it:(

The same could be said for Fergy, Campbell, Allen, Rivera, A. Glenn and others...I am not trying to rub salt in wounds but I just do not understand Bill's need to keep adding guys who have a very limited shelf life

If we were close to being a SB team I could understand it..but in reality we are not or atleast I believe we are not...I think signing these vets might get us to .500...

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I see us having 10-12 wins this year sure its a new scheme but I think our athletic ability will help cover a lot of that up. also our DB's are all excluding Davis in their prime so that should help with the problems on D. I think the first 4 games are most critical if we can split them or better then 10-12 wins is very realistic IMO.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:
..... a rough year.

I think overall, we'll be good enough to get to the playoffs, but I do believe fans are putting way too much confidence and expectations in the young players we have just because they were drafted so high. The kids (and they are kids) are rookies and they will make mistakes this year. They will most likely show signs of greatness at times but mistakes hurt worse than great plays help.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reality said:
I think overall, we'll be good enough to get to the playoffs, but I do believe fans are putting way too much confidence and expectations in the young players we have just because they were drafted so high. The kids (and they are kids) are rookies and they will make mistakes this year. They will most likely show signs of greatness at times but mistakes hurt worse than great plays help.

I agree! The goal I have for this team is to get back to post season play if they do that regardless of the outcome I will be pleased with the season.

wileedog

Reaction score
Reality said:

Not to sound too homeristic, but given good health the running game could be simply outstanding this season.

That will take a lot of pressure off a young defense (not to mention an old QB).

Not predicting SB by any means, but I think we are so used to seeing the team go however the defense goes around here, we may lose sight of the fact we could be actually looking at a year where the offense and TOP will in many cases determine whether we win games (in a good way!).

Mike 1967

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Not to sound too homeristic, but given good health the running game could be simply outstanding this season.

That will take a lot of pressure off a young defense (not to mention an old QB).

Not predicting SB by any means, but I think we are so used to seeing the team go however the defense goes around here, we may lose sight of the fact we could be actually looking at a year where the offense and TOP will in many cases determine whether we win games (in a good way!).

Don't get me wrong....I believe that this team will be exciting to watch.

We are much more athletic at many positions. We will want to keep our eyes glued to the screen this year because at any point we could see JJ breaking one or the defense creating a turnover or Bledsoe throwing to a deep Witten or Glenn.

I think the entertainment level is going to go up tremendously this year. Especially if JJ can stay healthy.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I agree 100%.

It will be exciting to watch this defense build and develop.

- It will be exciting to see the potential of some of our new young athletic defensive players.
- It will be exciting to watch an attacking defense
- It will be exciting to watch a master of the 3-4 (Tuna) mold this unit into a winner.

I am getting very very excited about this teams future over the second half of this decade :- )

Parcells 3-4 is not an attacking defense, he hates to blitz. After 2003 he said that Zimmer's scheme was too aggressive. Imagine that old occupy and engage/Zimmy wuss too aggressive.;)

What he wants is better players being in position to make plays, without risking the big play while doing it. This ain't going to be a Ryan-like do or die defense and with so many rookies we will probably be even more conservative.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Parcells 3-4 is not an attacking defense, he hates to blitz. After 2003 he said that Zimmer's scheme was too aggressive. Imagine that old occupy and engage/Zimmy wuss too aggressive.;)

What he wants is better players being in position to make plays, without risking the big play while doing it. This ain't going to be a Ryan-like do or die defense and with so many rookies we will probably be even more conservative.

I need to better define my terms.

I'm not envisioning an attacking defense in the mold of Buddy Ryan's or of the Iggles current scheme.

But I am envisioning a defense in the mold of the Jets and Patriots (under Parcells).....and also of the mold of the Patriots today.

This would probably not be considered an attacking defense in comparison to the blitzing style of the formentioned coach and team......but....it does seem like an attacking offensive when compared to the "bend but don't break" that we have been seeing over the last 4-5 years. :)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Get real - He never sent LT? It was too aggressive because his Safeties and RCB sucked in COVERAGE.

We have addressed that - Bellicheck and Parcells run same defense and there is aggressive elements, they put MENTAL stress on an offense. We were so predictable last year it was PATHETIC.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't expect too much for many of the reasons already listed... primarily experience in the 3-4 and experience in general.

However, I do think we could have a good year and make the playoffs. If we do get to the playoffs, look out because we'll be a much better team in December than we will be in September. Ware, Spears, Burnett and Canty, I expect to make a serious contribution this season, either starting or getting a lot of time in a rotation. They'll make their mistakes, but the bulk of them will be in the first half of the season. By the latter part of the year and playoffs if we make it there, they'll be much more settled in and will begin making some real strong contributions, I hope.

As for the switch to the 3-4... first, I think we'll still play a goodly amount of 4-3 and that Ellis and Glover will make their regular, solid contributions. I do think they'll be better, especially late in games, because of the rest they'll be getting that they used to not. I think we'll see Spears, Ferguson, Glover, and Ellis on plenty of running downs and we'll see Spears, Glover, Ellis and Ware on plenty of passing downs in the 4-3.

If we're getting torn up in a particular game lined up in a 3-4... we're gonna make the switch back to a 4-3. I don't see any way Parcells would stick with the 3-4 if a team is running on us (which is my main concern about the 3-4). I think he'd switch mid-game in a heartbeat if he needs to. He might even play 4-3 on early downs and play 3-4 in passing situations. Who knows what he's going to do, but I guarantee you the 4-3 is still going to be a big part of it.

It never takes defenses as long as it does the offense to switch to a new scheme... If you have the athletes, you can have success early on.

Last year Oakland switched to a 3-4 and failed. I don't think that's because they couldn't learn the system... it was because they didn't have the horses to pull that wagon. If our guys are capable to play a 3-4... they should show that pretty early on and have some success.

If they don't... I don't expect Parcells to play very much of it.

I suspect they'll do fine though, pretty quickly. 3-4 or 4-3... either way we have some very good players on defense that are going to get to the ball and make some plays. It's still tackling. It's still taking on and shedding blocks. It's still chasing after the ball. They'll just be lined up a little differently and have some different assignments.

The players and coaches aren't too worried about it... I don't think the fans and the media should be either.

It's going to be really, really fun.

kartr

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I see us having 10-12 wins this year sure its a new scheme but I think our athletic ability will help cover a lot of that up. also our DB's are all excluding Davis in their prime so that should help with the problems on D. I think the first 4 games are most critical if we can split them or better then 10-12 wins is very realistic IMO.

Buffalo started out 0-4 last year, but finished strong beating up on weak teams, yet still didn't make the playoffs because of Bledsoe. How do you get 10-12 wins out of that?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
However, I do think we could have a good year and make the playoffs. If we do get to the playoffs, look out because we'll be a much better team in December than we will be in September. Ware, Spears, Burnett and Canty, I expect to make a serious contribution this season, either starting or getting a lot of time in a rotation. They'll make their mistakes, but the bulk of them will be in the first half of the season. By the latter part of the year and playoffs if we make it there, they'll be much more settled in and will begin making some real strong contributions, I hope.

Excellent Point !

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nors said:
We were so predictable last year it was PATHETIC.

This is so very, very true. We have been for years. I've wanted us to show some type of deception tactics for so long that I bet I won't even feel like I'm watching the Cowboys when they disquise some things.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
This is so very, very true. We have been for years. I've wanted us to show some type of deception tactics for so long that I bet I won't even feel like I'm watching the Cowboys when they disquise some things.

Perhaps we where a victim of our own success in the 90's.

Back then we had so much talent that is did not matter if the other team knew what we were going to do :)

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year.

If the defense fails, I'd expect more of the same (for the last ten or so years)