I'm sorry Zoners

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
but I am not ready to concede the Division yet. I know I should be rooting for the Giants on Sunday, but honestly, I won't be too upset if they lose. I won't be upset if they lose to Philly either.

If we take care of our own business and win out.....all we need is for the Giants to lose those 3 NFC East games and we win the division.

I was stuck up on Conference record, but Head to Head and then Division are the top tie breakers. We would be 4-2 in the division and they would be 3-3.....

So on Sunday....if the Skins lose, we are that much closer to the Wild Card. if the Giants lose, we are still in the hunt for the Division.....and as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I just can't get my heart to settle for the Wild Card just yet....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Dallas would have to win out and the Giants would have to lose 3 games, at least.

I doubt it.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The Giants do have a pretty touch schedule in December themselves. But you know what, I'd rather them beat the Skins tomorrow. I don't think this Cowboy team is scared of the Giants in Dallas or at the Meadowlands.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Biggems;2449465 said:
but I am not ready to concede the Division yet. I know I should be rooting for the Giants on Sunday, but honestly, I won't be too upset if they lose. I won't be upset if they lose to Philly either.

If we take care of our own business and win out.....all we need is for the Giants to lose those 3 NFC East games and we win the division.

I was stuck up on Conference record, but Head to Head and then Division are the top tie breakers. We would be 4-2 in the division and they would be 3-3.....

So on Sunday....if the Skins lose, we are that much closer to the Wild Card. if the Giants lose, we are still in the hunt for the Division.....and as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I just can't get my heart to settle for the Wild Card just yet....

Like I have said many times, we just need to win out. 12-4 definitely gets us into the playoffs. My rooting for or against certain teams will not effect the outcome of those games in any way so I'll just wait to see what happens with them. In the meantime, we need to take care of business and win every game we play. There is a not a team we will face that we can't beat, including the Stealers and Giants.

I really don't care what those other teams do, we just need to win.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's possible we could both be 12-4 or they could even go 11-5. But I doubt it. I will be pulling for a Skins loss.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to see the Cowboys win the division, but you have to look at it like this. You want your team in a position to control its own destiny. Unfortunately, the Cowboys cannot do that right now as they are the third team vying for the last wildcard spot at the moment.

If the Giants beat the Commanders, then the Cowboys move into the second spot for that last wildcard position. If the Commanders win, then we'll still have two NFC East teams (and still two wild card teams) ahead of us and even if the Giants lose out, if the Commanders win out, they'll win the division.

We also have several teams right below us like the Saints who are playing well and the Cowboys have a very tough schedule coming up and going 3-1 over those games would be considered a success which means those other teams could catch up if they have weaker opponents during the same period.

Remember .. the first goal each season is always get into the playoffs .. the second goal is to win the divison. Since we have not obtained our first goal, that needs to be the focus now.

-Reality

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I think they win the divsion.

I also think we beat them in two weeks in Dallas.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Biggems;2449465 said:

I'm with you.

I'll concede the division to the Giants when they actually clinch it and wear the T-shirts.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2449477 said:
Dallas would have to win out and the Giants would have to lose 3 games, at least.

I doubt it.

I agree-they've been playing every bit like the defending World Champs they are.

This isn't exactly the previous years under Coughlin where they would start out slow, get on a hot streak, then just collapse at the mid-way point. This team has just gotten better and better every week.

BTW-I could careless who wins on Sun, but I expect the Giants to do so, FWIW.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2449477 said:

I doubt it.

Giants lose to Washington.
Giants lose to Eagles.
Giants lose to Cowboys.

Cowboys Beat Pittsburgh.
Cowboys Beat Giants.

Result:
Cowboys and Giants tied 10-4.
Giants will have tie breaker because of conference record 7-3 vs 7-4.

For the cowboys to win the division, the Giants have to lose 1 more game (perferably vs an NFC team Carolina OR Minnesota) while Dallas wins out.

Chances of a division win are very slim, and our playoff chances could be better if the Giants go undefeated for the rest of the regular season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I actually want them to win the division. One, they need to beat the Skins and Eagles for us. And two, I want them to get all the accolades and attention just like we did last year. They thrive on that "Everyone disrespected us!" crap, so this year I want them to not have that AND to have to deal with the pressure of being the favorites. That's a position they weren't in all of this year and even much of this year.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Biggems;2449465 said:

Not going to happen. We need to be thinking like this as fans and as a team; beat the snot out of Pittsburgh. Giants who? Commanders who? Rest of league who? I thought we were playing Pittsburgh and must win? That's how we need to think. Division and Conference titles, hahahahahahaha!

Not to be rude and I'm a fan that would love the conference lead too but thinking like that at this point and we'll be wishing we got the wild card once we hit reality. You should be sorry! We can win out, there is no reason why we wouldn't with this team right now, but the Giants aren't losing 3 out of 4 even if their starting QB goes down, especially because he isn't as important as ours. That team is too focused. They offensively lambasted the Cards without Burress and Brandon Jacobs. If that was us we would be giving excuses for our loss.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;2449489 said:
I would love to see the Cowboys win the division, but you have to look at it like this. You want your team in a position to control its own destiny. Unfortunately, the Cowboys cannot do that right now as they are the third team vying for the last wildcard spot at the moment.

If the Giants beat the Commanders, then the Cowboys move into the second spot for that last wildcard position. If the Commanders win, then we'll still have two NFC East teams (and still two wild card teams) ahead of us and even if the Giants lose out, if the Commanders win out, they'll win the division.

We also have several teams right below us like the Saints who are playing well and the Cowboys have a very tough schedule coming up and going 3-1 over those games would be considered a success which means those other teams could catch up if they have weaker opponents during the same period.

Remember .. the first goal each season is always get into the playoffs .. the second goal is to win the divison. Since we have not obtained our first goal, that needs to be the focus now.

-Reality

Very good post. And also very true.

However, I also have not given up hope of winning the division.

As much as I wanted the Giants to lose to the Ravens or the Cards, the fact is that a loss to either of them would not have been enough help. As the OP said, we need them to not only have 4 losses, but 3 division losses.

The only practical if not likely senario is for the Giants to lose the next 3 games: Skins, Eagles, Cowboys.

At this time with them at 10-1 and playing so well, this would seem impossible.
But is it really that impossible/unlikely?

Lets take this one game at a time.

Skins game in DC. I'm sure the Giants will be favored, but by how much? 4 points, maybe 5. The Skins are pretty good and have a heck of a defense. They are home and have revenge. They also have more motivation. Not saying I'd bet the Skins, but I think they win.

Eagles game in NY. This is the tough one. But I have to tell you I was very encouraged by the Eagles effort last night. They might just go on a little run here and they do have 9 days to prepare for the Giants. That's significant.

Now I know The Skins and Eagles losing these games would certainly clear our backdoor to the play-offs, but do we really want that?

Here's a few things to consider.

If this somewhat unlikely senario plays out and the Giants drop the next two. Imagine how pumped the Cowboys will be as well as this board. Just imagine a chance to beat the Giants and take over first place!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I don't worry about these things. Just take one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2449596 said:
Giants lose to Washington.
Giants lose to Eagles.
Giants lose to Cowboys.

Cowboys Beat Pittsburgh.
Cowboys Beat Giants.

Result:
Cowboys and Giants tied 10-4.
Giants will have tie breaker because of conference record 7-3 vs 7-4.

For the cowboys to win the division, the Giants have to lose 1 more game (perferably vs an NFC team Carolina OR Minnesota) while Dallas wins out.

Chances of a division win are very slim, and our playoff chances could be better if the Giants go undefeated for the rest of the regular season.
No, if it fell out like that, and both teams won their last 2 games, Dallas would have a better divisional record at 4-2, while the NYG would be 3-3. Under that scenario, Dallas would control its own destiny for winning the division, and probably the HFA.

Ren

Reaction score
Our December is brutal i'd rather be 1 up on the skins at this point, the Giants would have to lose out for us to take the East and that's not gonna happen

Boysboy

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2449607 said:
Eagles game in NY. This is the tough one. But I have to tell you I was very encouraged by the Eagles effort last night. They might just go on a little run here and they do have 9 days to prepare for the Giants. That's significant.

Don't let Philly's performance last night fool you-they're not exactly in similar situations like they were in in '06 and other years under Reid(where they rose to the occassion in the final sprint). Shawn Andrews is likely out for the year, and his backup Max Jean-Gilles got hurt last night(in '06, their OL was healthy and rose to the occassion). Plus it isn't like what happened with the McNabb benching in Baltimore has somehow gone away b/c of their performance last night as well. It'll likely linger throughout the remainder of the year, especially if they have another loss.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Ren;2449622 said:
Our December is brutal i'd rather be 1 up on the skins at this point, the Giants would have to lose out for us to take the East and that's not gonna happen

It is unlikely to happen, but still, any given Sunday right?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
All I am saying is....until we are eliminated from any chance to win the NFC East, I want to win the division. Once we are eliminated from being a division winner, then I will focus on merely making the Wild Card.

At any rate....we just need to win out and hope that the chips fall where they may.