I'm thinking about carrying 4 quarterbacks

Would you be for or against carrying 4 quarterbacks?

• Total voters

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given all of the talk of Johnny Manziel or RG3 being Cowboys in 2016, it got me wondering about the choices for next year. If the team were to acquire either of them, I would want a more reliable option in the mix for backing up Tony Romo.

We all saw the debacle that 2015 became, in large part to Romo's absence and a lack of a capable backup option. I would hate for that to happen ever again. So in formulating my own armchair GM plan, it occurred to me that, given the unknowns with Manziel and Griffin, and not wanting to immediately rely on a rookie, it made sense to carry four.

Here are the four guys I have on my 'wish list' for 2016:

Tony Romo - hopefully he's fully recover and healthy in 2016

Colt McCoy - a Texas guy who in my opinion looks to be coming into his own, could be had for about $2 million and would provide a stable backup option

Johnny Manziel - at a bargain price with a clear set of zero tolerance rules which would be strictly enforced

Carson Wentz - I think Goff is gone at #2 and if the team believes like I do in Wentz, I draft him at #4 overall

slick325

Reaction score
Colt McCoy may be a decent selection but Washington wants to keep him around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colt McCoy may be a decent selection but Washington wants to keep him around.

Maybe, but given that we could offer comparable money and one thing Washingyon can't - the opportunity to return to Texas - I think we can get him if we want him.

slick325

Reaction score
Maybe, but given that we could offer comparable money and one thing Washingyon can't - the opportunity to return to Texas - I think we can get him if we want him.

You could be right...we'll see.

joseephuss

Reaction score
McCoy attempted 11 passes this season. How does that give anyone the impression he is coming into his own?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Romo
RGIII, JF type for a year
Goff/Wentz
UDFA/late Draft for the Practice Squad

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Given all of the talk of Johnny Manziel or RG3 being Cowboys in 2016, it got me wondering about the choices for next year. If the team were to acquire either of them, I would want a more reliable option in the mix for backing up Tony Romo.

We all saw the debacle that 2015 became, in large part to Romo's absence and a lack of a capable backup option. I would hate for that to happen ever again. So in formulating my own armchair GM plan, it occurred to me that, given the unknowns with Manziel and Griffin, and not wanting to immediately rely on a rookie, it made sense to carry four.

Colt McCoy - a Texas guy who in my opinion looks to be coming into his own, could be had for about $2 million and would provide a stable backup option

Johnny Manziel - at a bargain price with a clear set of zero tolerance rules which would be strictly enforced

Carson Wentz - I think Goff is gone at #2 and if the team believes like I do in Wentz, I draft him at #4 overall

4th overall and 4th string? I just don't get this at all, why waste practice reps on Manziel when you spend the #4 pick on a QB? I get McCoy, he's a vet, been in the league for a while and likely can perform well in spot duty with little preparation. This is not the case with Manziel, adding him only handicaps what ever QB we draft. You want him so bad, you pass on QBs in this draft.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

In all fairness, the opportunity to play in the same system for the third year in a row and to not have two QBs (JF and the #4 pick) waiting to knock you off the roster, likely appeals more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Cowboys aren't drafting a QB in n the first. At least I hope not.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't. Create competition with Kellen Moore for the backup spot and draft the heir apparent to Romo at 4th overall and let him hold a clipboard this year as the 3. You're not winning anything if Romo goes down anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCoy attempted 11 passes this season. How does that give anyone the impression he is coming into his own?

Speaking for myself, I saw a guy who was competing against Kirk Cousins for the past year and doing quite well. And a player who looked very good during the preseason. If he was anywhere close to Cousins, I'll gladly take it over what we have. Cousins had a great season overall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all fairness, the opportunity to play in the same system for the third year in a row and to not have two QBs (JF and the #4 pick) waiting to knock you off the roster, likely appeals more.

But wouldn't McCoy's free agency signing come well before the draft?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Why do you hope not?

We need an impact player that plays right away. Defense or offense I don't care. Romo and Witten need to win now. Drafting a QB who's going to be on the bench all year would be counter productive to that end.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
But wouldn't McCoy's free agency signing come well before the draft?

Possibly, but if he sees that we're negotiating with JF why would he leave Washington? And he's agent will ask about our plans with the #4 pick, pretty sure we'd have to give some kind of assurances that we don't want a QB for him to sign. We could lie to him, but that's not likely a good idea.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possibly, but if he sees that we're negotiating with JF why would he leave Washington? And he's agent will ask about our plans with the #4 pick, pretty sure we'd have to give some kind of assurances that we don't want a QB for him to sign. We could lie to him, but that's not likely a good idea.

The way I see it, he would be the capable, dependable backup quarterback. More so than any rookie draft pick, and certainly more so than any roll of the dice on Manziel. And I would tell him that in no uncertain terms, verbally as well as financially. I wouldn't have any intention of letting him go and I'd show him that in the guaranteed money in his contract.

He's been signing one year deals previously so I don't see why that would be an issue with the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need an impact player that plays right away. Defense or offense I don't care. Romo and Witten need to win now. Drafting a QB who's going to be on the bench all year would be counter productive to that end.

I would disagree with that. I feel this team has enough good players already that barring injuries like this year they should be able to compete. And given the amount and position of their draft picks, and cap room, they have more than enough ammunition elsewhere to fill their needs.

I say to myself, when is the next time they'll pick at #4 and have the chance at a franchise quarterback? Hopefully not any time soon, so if one is there, act now.