I'm writing an article on the Cowboys for a college class- what do you think?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
In my media class, I am writing an article on media blame and image repair.

I chose Tony Romo as my subject.

I want to show it to you guys, and be honest with your opinions.

Assigning Blame in Sports​

One of the trademarks of media in our society is to finger-point when something goes terribly wrong. One area where it seems this happens a lot is in the world of sports, when athletes underachieve below their high expectations or make a boneheaded mistake during the actual game. There are many factors that goes into this- what happened, why the player or team is blamed, factors leading up, and how they can repair their image or reputation for the future. These are the type of moments where a player can be transformed into either a hero or goat in a short time span

When it comes to players going from a hero to a goat in the blink of an eye, look no further than Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. In January 2007, his team was looking to kick a game-winning field goal in an NFC playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks. Though he had made his name and reputation as a signal-caller, he was about to become forever immortalized for what he did as a kick-holder. Romo bobbled the snap, but then tried to pick up the ball and go for a potential first-down or winning touchdown, only to get stopped short, After all of that, the Cowboys lost 21-20. In light of all this, the devastated rookie quarterback was now facing a personal and professional career crossroads, with questions creeping into his mind. Would his career ever recover from such a catastrophic blunder in a big-time situation? Was he possibly a one-year wonder who looked good for a while that turned out to be a fraud?

Following Romo’s colossal blunder and the Cowboys’ stunning loss, the media had a field day, particularly Sports Illustrated’s writers. Tim Layden described the final sequence as “a colossal, historic mistake on a huge stage” and that this final plunge in Romo’s roller-coaster season was the equivalent of “when a star rises so swiftly and falls so tragically.” Don Banks was a lot harsher by describing the quarterback as having gone “from the Next Big Thing to Bill Buckner,” and that the moment would be something we would be asking about “twenty years from now -- no, make it 30 or maybe 40.” Michael Silver called it “a Tuna nightmare,” in reference to the nickname of then-Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. In light of failing to live up to the high expectations of the Cowboys and the lack of a playoff win for the team since 1996, it seemed as if the sky was falling on Romo.

In light of the media pointing fingers Romo for Dallas’ playoff loss, it seemed as if they were ignoring other factors that played into the team’s defeat, such as wide receiver Terry Glenn’s fumble (the team had 4 total) that turned into a safety. Given Romo’s positions as a quarterback on a glamorous big-name football franchise, the team’s lack of recent playoff success, and that the bobbled snap occurred late in a very meaningful game, it seemed understandable why most of the media singled out Romo for the team’s loss and not other members of the team. It was not the first time a young and talented quarterback bore the brunt of his team’s playoff frustrations- well-known signal-callers like Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, and Steve Young also were known for their inability to deliver in the playoffs at points in their careers (though Young and Manning did eventually win a Super Bowl, whereas Marino never did). It could be justified that the finger that was pointed at Romo is merely the latest in a long line of quarterbacks that have taken the brunt of their team’s criticism for failing in big games.

If Romo was going to try to pick up the pieces and move on with his playing career, the first step he had to do was not deflect any blame towards his teammates or make up any excuses. He did the best possible thing, and that was to take the bullet of blame himself- “I take responsibility for messing up at the end there. That’s my fault. I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win, and it’s going to sit with me a long time.” This was the first step in the restoration of Romo’s image, which had been wildly up-and-down for the previous couple of months in the start of his young career.

Heading into the ill-fated playoff game, Romo had been riding the media roller coaster for the previous two months. It was one thing to be the quarterback on one of pro football’s most glamorous team, but it was quite another to have not only played as well as he did at times during his first year. It seemed too good to be true- a rags-to-riches story for the quarterback from tiny Eastern Illinois who revived a struggling Cowboys team and took them to the playoffs for the first time in three years. In addition to his performance on the field, he had been written about as a “player” off the field, for he was in a relationship with well-known singing star Carrie Underwood. However, the Cowboys headed into the playoffs on a down note, losing three of their final four games. This may have been the first sign of looming trouble, with how the media seemed to blame the Cowboys’ late-season collapse on Romo more than his teammates. A 2007 NBC Sports online article prior to the playoffs had a theory- “maybe the more Romo played, the more teams figured him out.” An ESPN.com article from that same time thought that because the Cowboys were facing defenses that were tailored to stop the then-rookie QB, he seemed to be playing too recklessly

Following the playoff debacle and admitting being responsible for the team’s latest playoff failure, Romo now had to move on and repair his reputation as a football player. One of the first things he did was try and prove that despite “dropping the ball,” he could still hold for kicks. When Romo was voted to the 2007 Pro Bowl as a quarterback, he volunteered to be the NFC’s holder on kicks. However, according to a 2008 USA Today article, he has not done it since then, for the position of kick holder on the team was soon filled by newly signed backup veteran quarterback Brad Johnson. The Cowboys felt that after what happened in the playoff game, they should let Romo stick mainly to playing quarterback and not holding field-goals.

Romo also wanted to prove that not only could he survive such a horrible blunder, but that his impressive rookie year was no fluke, and he would do just that in 2007. He led Dallas to wins in their first 5 games and 12 of their first 13 games en route to a 13-3 record and division title. Although they lost in the playoffs for the second straight year to extend the team’s drought, Romo drastically cut down on some of the rookie mistakes that had led to some self-doubt that might have played into what happened in the playoffs the previous year.

In back-to-back weeks, Romo would show just how he had improved by leaps and bounds to improve his reputation and playing career. The first moment came in late September game against St. Louis. On a play where Dallas needed three yards for a first down, Cowboys center Andre Gurode snapped the ball too high over Romo’s head. Although the QB recovered it 33 yards from the line of scrimmage, he was able to pick the ball up and not only run all the way back to where the play originally started, but get the first down to boot. This sparked Dallas to a 35-7 rout. What happened the next week against Buffalo, however, might have been more remarkable. Although he had a fumble and five interceptions (two of which led to 14 points for the opposing Bills), he refused to give up and led Dallas to a stunning comeback win with 9 points in the last 20 seconds. Overcoming such calamities played a big role in Romo’s resurgence in his image. Since then, he has done commercials for Pepsi and ESPN, which is proof that he had not only repaired his image, but boosted it to higher levels of sports superstardom.

In conclusion, it can be said that Tony Romo is a classic example of how one player can not only shoulder much of the blame for a team’s loss, but overcome it. His image as a hotshot quarterback on the rise had come under fire in light of erratic play prior to the aforementioned playoff screwup, but he was capable of overcoming all that adversity and repairing his reputation as a football player. When looking at the wacky play against the Rams, overcoming all those turnovers against the Bills, leading Dallas to their first division title in a decade, and setting numerous single-season Cowboys passing records it was clear that he had gotten over the playoff bobble. Tony Romo was not just a one-year wonder, but a truly legit NFL quarterback.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2415531 said:
Assigning Blame in Sports​

One of the trademarks of media in our society is to finger-point when something goes terribly wrong. One The area where it seems this happens a lot the most is in the world of sports, when athletes underachieve below their high expectations fail to meet high expectations or make a boneheaded mistakes during the actual game. There are many factors that goes into this- what happened, why the player or team is blamed, factors leading up, and how they can repair their image or reputation for the future. These are the type of moments where a player can be transformed into either a "hero" or "goat" in a short time span.

When it comes to players going from a "hero" to a "goat" in the blink of an eye, look no further than Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. [1 example where he was a hero, eg taking team to an all time high 13-3 first time winning the division since XYZ year..(that wasnt this year but you get my idea)] In January 2007, his team was looking to kick a game-winning field goal in an NFC playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks to end a 8 year playoff win drought. Though he had made his name and reputation as a signal-caller, he was about to become forever immortalized for what he did as a kick-holder. Romo bobbled the snap, but then tried to pick up the ball and go for a potential first-down or winning touchdown, only to get stopped short [sentence assumes audience/reader understands football - perhaps changing it to simple language such as "During a mundane field goal attempt, the ball slips out of Romo's hands. Not only did Romo drop the ball, but he fumbled away an entire years work as well as a much needed playoff win." ],. After all of that, the Cowboys lost 21-20. In light of all this, the devastated rookie [factcheck: not a rookie] quarterback was now facing a personal and professional career crossroads crisis, with questions creeping into his mind/from the media [either ask questions from romos mind or from media perspective]. Would my/his career ever recover from such a catastrophic blunder in a big-time situation? Was I/he possibly a one-year wonder who looked good for a while that turned out to be a fraud who will eventually become a fraud?

Following Romo’s colossal blunder and the Cowboys’ stunning loss, the media had a field day, particularly the writers of Sports Illustrated’s writers. Tim Layden described the final sequence as “a colossal, historic mistake on a huge stage” and that this final plunge in Romo’s roller-coaster season was the equivalent of “when a star rises so swiftly and falls so tragically.” Don Banks was a lot much harsher by describing the quarterback as having gone “from the Next Big Thing to Bill Buckner,” and that the moment would be something we would be asking about “twenty years from now -- no, make it 30 or maybe 40.” Michael Silver called it “a Tuna nightmare,” in reference to the nickname of then-Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. In light [2nd usage of 'in light'] of failing to live up to the high expectations of the Cowboys and the lack of a playoff win for the team since 1996, [better to finish up just with this:] It seemed as if the sky was falling on Romo. [nice paragraph, chock full of info, nice readability]

In light[3rd usage of 'in light'] of The media was pointing fingers at Romo for Dallas’ playoff loss, it seemed as if they were seeminglyignoring other obvious factors that played into the team’s defeat, such as wide receiver Terry Glenn’s fumble (the team had 4 total) that turned into a safety ['easy points for the Cowboy's opponent']. Given Romo’s positions as a quarterback on a glamorous big-name football franchise, the team’s lack of recent playoff success, and that the bobbled snap occurred late in a very meaningful game, it seemed understandable why most of the media singled out Romo for the team’s loss and not other members of the team [long sentence but ok]. It was not the first time a young and talented quarterback bore the brunt of his team’s playoff frustrations- well-known signal-callers like Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, and Steve Young also were known for their inability to deliver in the playoffs at points in their careers (though Young and Manning did eventually win a Super Bowl, whereas Marino never did). It could be justified that the finger that was pointed at Romo is merely the latest in a long line of quarterbacks that have taken the brunt of their team’s criticism for failing in big games.

If Romo was going to try to pick up the pieces and move on with his playing career, the first step he had to do was not deflect any blame towards his teammates or make up any excuses. He did the best possible thing, and that was to take the bullet of blame himself- “I take responsibility for messing up at the end there. That’s my fault. I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win, and it’s going to sit with me a long time.” This was the first step in the restoration of Romo’s image, which had been wildly up-and-down for the previous couple of months in the start of his young career.

Heading into the ill-fated playoff game, Romo had been riding the media roller coaster for the previous two months. It was one thing to be the quarterback on one of pro football’s most glamorous team, but it was quite another to have not only played as well as he did at times during his first year. It seemed too good to be true- a rags-to-riches story for the quarterback from tiny Eastern Illinois who revived a struggling Cowboys team and took them to the playoffs for the first time in three years. In addition to his performance on the field, he had been written about as a “player” off the field, for he was in a relationship with well-known singing star Carrie Underwood [factcheck: I don't think his relationship was until after this]. However, the Cowboys headed into the playoffs on a down note, losing three of their final four games. This may have been the first sign of looming trouble, with how the media seemed to blame the Cowboys’ late-season collapse on Romo more than his teammates. A 2007 NBC Sports online article prior to the playoffs had a theory- “maybe the more Romo played, the more teams figured him out.” An ESPN.com article from that same time thought that because the Cowboys were facing defenses that were tailored to stop the then-rookie QB, he seemed to be playing too recklessly.

Following the playoff debacle and admitting being responsible for the team’s latest playoff failure, Romo now had to move on and repair his reputation as a football player. One of the first things he did was try and prove that despite “dropping the ball,” he could still hold for kicks. When Romo was voted to the 2007 Pro Bowl as a quarterback, he volunteered to be the NFC’s holder on kicks. However, according to a 2008 USA Today article, he has not done it since then, for the position of kick holder on the team was soon filled by newly signed backup veteran quarterback Brad Johnson. The Cowboys felt that after what happened in the playoff game, they should let Romo stick mainly to playing quarterback and not holding field-goals.

Romo also wanted to prove that not only could he survive such a horrible blunder, but that his impressive rookie year was no fluke, and he would do just that in 2007. He led Dallas to wins in their first 5 games and 12 of their first 13 games en route to a 13-3 record and division title. Although they lost in the playoffs for the second straight year to extend the team’s drought, Romo drastically cut down on some of the rookie mistakes that had led to some self-doubt that might have played into what happened in the playoffs the previous year.

In back-to-back weeks, Romo would show just how he had improved by leaps and bounds to improve his reputation and playing career. The first moment came in late September game against St. Louis. On a play where Dallas needed three yards for a first down, Cowboys center Andre Gurode snapped the ball too high over Romo’s head. Although the QB recovered it 33 yards from the line of scrimmage, he was able to pick the ball up and not only run all the way back to where the play originally started, but get the first down to boot. This sparked Dallas to a 35-7 rout. What happened the next week against Buffalo, however, might have been more remarkable. Although he had a fumble and five interceptions (two of which led to 14 points for the opposing Bills), he refused to give up and led Dallas to a stunning comeback win with 9 points in the last 20 seconds. Overcoming such calamities played a big role in Romo’s resurgence in his image. Since then, he has done commercials for Pepsi and ESPN, which is proof that he had not only repaired his image, but boosted it to higher levels of sports superstardom.

In conclusion, it can be said that Tony Romo is a classic example of how one player can not only shoulder much of the blame for a team’s loss, but overcome it. His image as a hotshot quarterback on the rise had come under fire in light of erratic play prior to the aforementioned playoff screwup, but he was capable of overcoming all that adversity and repairing his reputation as a football player. When looking at the wacky play against the Rams, overcoming all those turnovers against the Bills, leading Dallas to their first division title in a decade, and setting numerous single-season Cowboys passing records it was clear that he had gotten over the playoff bobble. Tony Romo was not just a one-year wonder, but a truly legit NFL quarterback.

Hey its a good read. Just some notes the underline parts are things i crossed out, bold is what replaced them. Red stuff or stuff in brackets are notes. Its a good piece on the cowboys and tony romo. Thanks for sharing. Some suggestions: if its intended to be a peice about the media i would consider another example too. It reads more like a Tony Romo can overcome all instead of media blame is rampant in sports. Just tips hope that helps. :) Maybe throwing in more "media" in the last paragraph and less football stats could help your case.

Maybe I got tired but It felt like the last 5 paragraphs was more football facts than how it is supposed to support the idea of your article involving media blame and image repair. But I don't know the facts of your paper to help enough. Plus got papers of my own! lol. Hope I helped.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
1 thing, romo wasn't a rookie when he played. it was his first season he became a starter, i think his 4th year in

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems Hypnotoad covered several of the problems I was going to mention but one suggestion I will make it is to remove the first two words (In conclusion,) of the last paragraph.

Your last paragraph should be a strong enough conclusion on its own without labeling it as such. Using the phrase "in conclusion" is primarily useful in oral speeches or presentations to let your audience know you are about to finish .. so they can wake up if necessary. :)

-Reality

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
You're in College now. Time to grow up and not be so "sports" focused or on a team you love as a fan. A better paper would use the media in general as the subject, perhaps using the Cowboys and QB Tony Romo as an example, but also using other examples. For instance, we just got through an entire political season where we clearly saw the media's opinion (i.e. bias) directly influence the fate of many candidates. It is no different in sports with respect to the sports media, no different in Hollywood with respect to the tabloids, etc. I don't know; If I were a professor I would much more favor a more robust article like that, because it would be making the same case under several independent fronts, and citing many different examples supporting that case; thus making the conclusion that much more powerful and persuasive. I'm not trying to be mean; just critical. After all, you asked.