Reaction score
Damn you, Barry Switzer

Emmitt-Phi_95_330.jpg

superpunk

Reaction score
No, HH.

Damn you.

Damn you.

If I never see that pic again, it will be too soon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31;1072397 said:
Damn you, Barry Switzer

Emmitt-Phi_95_330.jpg

Damn you, Switzer, for expecting your team to execute the plays you design and practice!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
superpunk;1072399 said:
No, HH.

Damn you.

Damn you.

If I never see that pic again, it will be too soon.

I agree....not only for the play but those ugly jerseys

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith was being interviewed sometime in the last few years when the interviewer broughtt up the 4th and one and called barry Switzer stupid.

Emmitt got very angry about this and told the following story.

In the lockerroom after the game, the team hung their heads. Switzer called the team together and made a speech.

He told them that it was his responsibility for the call, and that they should not be down about it. He would take the flack in the press, and they were blameless.

He told them the reason he called the same play twice was simple. He believed in them so much he just couldn't feature that play not working because they were who they were.

Emmitt then said that this is what galvanized the team that had been inconsistent that year.

They did not lose another game until they were World Champions.

Sometime within the last 12 months I heard Aikman discussing the Switzer era. While his comments were not as glowing, he did give credit to Switzer's post-game speech, and taking the heat for that play.

When I first heard Emmittt say these things, I took it as his pride of the team was speaking, and maybe he was embroidering the story.

When Troy mentioned it,it hit home.

While there is a large segment of the fandom that hates Switzer, evidently he pushed the correct button at the correct time to achieve the goal.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1072417 said:
I agree....not only for the play but those ugly jerseys

those jerseys are way better looking than the ones we have now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072422 said:

While there is a large segment of the fandom that hates Switzer, evidently he pushed the correct button at the correct time to achieve the goal.

Unfortunatly, it was in an Airport and the button was the magazine release.

;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072422 said:
Emmitt Smith was being interviewed sometime in the last few years when the interviewer broughtt up the 4th and one and called barry Switzer stupid.

In the lockerroom after the game, the team hung their heads. Switzer called the team together and made a speech.

He told them that it was his responsibility for the call, and that they should not be down about it. He would take the flack in the press, and they were blameless.

He told them the reason he called the same play twice was simple. He believed in them so much he just couldn't feature that play not working because they were who they were.

Emmitt then said that this is what galvanized the team that had been inconsistent that year.

Sometime within the last 12 months I heard Aikman discussing the Switzer era. While his comments were not as glowing, he did give credit to Switzer's post-game speech, and taking the heat for that play.

When I first heard Emmittt say these things, I took it as his pride of the team was speaking, and maybe he was embroidering the story.

:hammer:

I never really had a problem with Switzer. It's just one of those things where someone has to be blamed for something, and he's that guy.

And I never had a problem with the 4th and 1 call either. No reason for that group NOT to get 1 yard.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072422 said:

Barry Switzer walked into the perfect situation in 1995, he couldnt lose. A monkey could have taken that team to a World Championship. We won the SB in '95 in spite of Switzer, not because of him.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1072466 said:
Barry Switzer walked into the perfect situation in 1995, he couldnt lose. A monkey could have taken that team to a World Championship. We won the SB in '95 in spite of Switzer, not because of him.

This is the usual uninformed comments by those who have an agenda about Jimmy, Jerry, and Barry.

The truth is simple.

Jimmy had no influence on that team, and did not win the Super Bowl in 1995. He assembled the team, but if the 1994 team did not win it all, then a monkey could not have led the team to a Championship in 1995.

The notion it was a dead solid perfect putt, and anyone could have made it ignores 1994 and the results.

Which shoot the heck out of your theory.

Barry was the head coach. He was the leader of the team when they won a Championship.

No rewriting history to take credit away will change that fact.

Nor will any rewriting history ever suggest Jimmy would have won it all in 1994.

As Ray Charles was oft to say, "It is what it is, baby!"

Aikbach

Reaction score
The more distance we have between the Johnson/ Jones divorce the more I see it was actually Johnson's doing although Jerry took the brunt of the blame. True that it was a collision of two collosal egos but Jimmy WANTED out of Dallas, he forced the issue, he made it very personal behind the scenes with Jerry and pretty much challenged Jones to the point that something had to be done. Jones asked for loyalty, Johnson asked for money to walk away instead. Switzer inherited a dynasty that was beginning to lose depth thanks to free agency. Many Cowboy players privatey welcomed the regime change, Johnson's act had worn thin, if you look at his coaching tenure record he lasts about an average of 5 years a pop before he motivates himself out of town. No doubt he was instrumental in rebuilding the Cowboy dynasty but I actually now believe the timing of his departure was appropriate. I used to blame Switzer for those five minutes of shooty football that cost Dallas a third straight Super Bowl but looking back not so much. Play calling was solid, player execution was not. Switzer came to Dallas aware of the staggering expectations and was prepared to be a media whipping boy. I can think of few people who could have done much better under the circumstances, he was handed a near flawless team and was asked just to leave it be. He did, his problem in the eyes of the media and the fans was that for better or worse he was not Jimmy Johnson.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Perhaps the best summation of that era that I have ever read. Professional or not.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
Three quick turnovers and Larry Brown getting beat by Jerry Rice at the end of the first half killed our three straight.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072470 said:
This is the usual uninformed comments by those who have an agenda about Jimmy, Jerry, and Barry.

The truth is simple.

Jimmy had no influence on that team, and did not win the Super Bowl in 1995. He assembled the team, but if the 1994 team did not win it all, then a monkey could not have led the team to a Championship in 1995.

The notion it was a dead solid perfect putt, and anyone could have made it ignores 1994 and the results.

Which shoot the heck out of your theory.

Barry was the head coach. He was the leader of the team when they won a Championship.

No rewriting history to take credit away will change that fact.

Nor will any rewriting history ever suggest Jimmy would have won it all in 1994.

As Ray Charles was oft to say, "It is what it is, baby!"

I love Jimmy Johnson, he was an excellant coach and one of the better evaluaters of college talent in his era

I love Jerry Jones, he actually cares about winning and doesnt just look to make money. He goes out and gets who and what he wants

I despise Barry Switzer. He ran this team headlong into the ground

With Jimmy Johnson, we win the SB in '94 and '95, and probably 96' as well. Those teams were THAT good. Barry just found a way to somehow blow it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ghosttown cowboy;1072525 said:
Three quick turnovers and Larry Brown getting beat by Jerry Rice at the end of the first half killed our three straight.

Here's the story of that game and a testement to how talented that team was:

We came in with a horrid game plan, were poorly prepared, and staggered out to a 21-0 deficit, and despite all the bad coaching and all the bad breaks, we were still a no call PI penalty on Deion Sanders from probably winning that game.

That was Aikman's best game ever IMO. After the first quarter he basically said "Screw it, I'm gonna do this myself". And he almost beat SF by himself that day.