Images frozen in time... Switzer and 4th and 1

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
At the risk of revisiting old sleeping dogs, Switzer was a great coach, he won a Super Bowl in Dallas, anybody wanna name some of other geniuses who haven't. BP comes to mind, oh yeah Dave Campo and a few others. Ther are many teams with as much talent as Dallas who choked on the way--hey PHILADELPHIA comes to mind, so get off his back and oh by the way I live in Austin before he won in Dallas he owned the longhorns. I'm sorry but the bashing of Switzer has got to end, he was the last coach when we won, since then we haven't done squat....

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072470 said:
This is the usual uninformed comments by those who have an agenda about Jimmy, Jerry, and Barry.

The truth is simple.

Jimmy had no influence on that team, and did not win the Super Bowl in 1995. He assembled the team, but if the 1994 team did not win it all, then a monkey could not have led the team to a Championship in 1995.

The notion it was a dead solid perfect putt, and anyone could have made it ignores 1994 and the results.

Which shoot the heck out of your theory.

Barry was the head coach. He was the leader of the team when they won a Championship.

No rewriting history to take credit away will change that fact.

Nor will any rewriting history ever suggest Jimmy would have won it all in 1994.

As Ray Charles was oft to say, "It is what it is, baby!"

Barry? Is that you?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1072470 said:
This is the usual uninformed comments by those who have an agenda about Jimmy, Jerry, and Barry.

The truth is simple.

Jimmy had no influence on that team, and did not win the Super Bowl in 1995. He assembled the team, but if the 1994 team did not win it all, then a monkey could not have led the team to a Championship in 1995.

The notion it was a dead solid perfect putt, and anyone could have made it ignores 1994 and the results.

Which shoot the heck out of your theory.

Barry was the head coach. He was the leader of the team when they won a Championship.

No rewriting history to take credit away will change that fact.

Nor will any rewriting history ever suggest Jimmy would have won it all in 1994.

As Ray Charles was oft to say, "It is what it is, baby!"

:hammer:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rack;1072455 said:
And I never had a problem with the 4th and 1 call either. No reason for that group NOT to get 1 yard.

Actually, it was 4th and a foot.

I thought the 'Boys were done after that because it opened the way for the 49ers to take home field advantage, who had beaten us in our house earlier in the year. I'm glad the season turned out the way it did, and this really was the turning point that made it happen.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1072588 said:
Here's the story of that game and a testement to how talented that team was:

We came in with a horrid game plan, were poorly prepared, and staggered out to a 21-0 deficit, and despite all the bad coaching and all the bad breaks, we were still a no call PI penalty on Deion Sanders from probably winning that game.

That was Aikman's best game ever IMO. After the first quarter he basically said "Screw it, I'm gonna do this myself". And he almost beat SF by himself that day.

Erik Williams out for the season because of his own stupid behavior. Switzer should not be blamed for the teams best lineman not being available for that game. It hurt the team two fold. At the time, Larry Allen a rookie had to play in his place. Second, Tuinei was just not that good that season. If Williams is on the field, then Allen plays left tackle and the line is in great shape. Of course Allen had to play on a pretty sore ankle as well.

Emmitt Smith also played that game with a bad hamstring. He was a non-factor and Blair Thomas who was signed late in the year was no real help. That had nothing to do with Swizer.

Aikman mad a bad read to start the game with a INT returned for a TD. That can't be put on Switzer.

Kevin Williams, a top pick by Jimmy Johnson fumbled a kick off return. Again, how is that Switzer's fault.

Michael Irvin fumbled a ball.

Barry did have some questionable play call scenarios toward the end of the half where they didn't run more of the clock down, but there were also other things that went beyond his control. They missed an easy FG attempt and Jerry Rice just made a great play against decent coverage by Brown. That is why Rice is one of the all time best. You could have decent coverage and he would still beat you.

Switzer was by no means a great NFL head coach. He had his faults and he did play a part in the demise of the Cowboys in the mid 90s, but he gets way too much blame. He was in a no win situation when he came to Dallas. He was never going to get credit if the team won and always going to get the blame when they lost. That was pre-determined before he ever coached a game. I never understood why people despised the guy. He wasn't the best, but he wasn't the worst thing to happen to Dallas either.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1072397 said:
Damn you, Barry Switzer

Emmitt-Phi_95_330.jpg

Who won the Super Bowl that year? Didn't we kick their *** in that playoff game (which I was at and it was cold as HELL -- the beer taps froze!)?

We will forever have scoreboard on the Eagles.