Imagine if Amari deal hadn't been done before the draft

kskboys

Reaction score
yeh , but who could have foreseen Lamb (who was rated 6th overall by Cowboys board) mysteriously dropping further down right into the Cowboys lap.

i do wonder if eagles had anticipated Cowboys drafting lamb, (vs virtually everyone
assuming Cowboys would've take LSU edger Chaisson) would they had enrich their trade proposals much harder to teams picking a few spots ahead of us. i definitely know now how much their dear (dreaded?) fans were really piss crying to get Lamb and how much they were heart broken to NOT get Lamb.
- This has to rate behind Drew Pearson as the 2nd best get back at ya Philly fan moments !

- But hypothetically assuming Cooper walked per FA (and signed with Skins) ...had Lamb Not had been there for the picking ( and Eagles successfully traded up to get Lamb ?) ... then that would have placed us Cowboys in a deep pickle, and that far less WR weapons for Dak.

- What would have happen then ? .... we either pick the next best top rated player on our board ( Chasson?)
or move down further in the 1st round, likely a few spots, pick up a 2nd rounder, and draft the next best
available WR still left on their board .
..either that be 1st round ( LSU's justin jefferson?...) or 2nd round (USC's Michael Pittman?) or Clemson's Tee Higgins ?)

- But i've no doubt that we would have been immediately drafting WR within the first two rounds.
That's why i believe the Cowboys not only gave (cave?) in to panic at last minute in re-signing Cooper over
the fear and possibility of losing him in FA, ..and not having the chance to draft (in their minds) the only two
lead WRs in draft warranted of 17th overall pick.

- Mind you also that not only did they re-sign Cooper to a mega deal that makes among highest paid WRs in NFL history, ...but that contract was mended with a option out after 2 years, ... why an " escape" clause ?
i can only assume that if Cooper displays some of the concerning flaws he's been most criticized for, then
the option allows team to move on,.as Lamb becomes our new No.1 lead WR.

:cool:
Several mocks I saw had him going 21 to the Eagles.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As it is the contract is very team friendly so I'm not terribly concerned about it. What I am concerned about is if we have all three going over 1200+ yards per year the next 2 years and make some noise in the playoffs. Good problem to have until you have to figure out who to sign and who to let go. At the moment I'm thinking keep Gallup and Lamb and let Cooper go, but I really hope we can find a way to keep all three.

Cooper has stated several times that he wants to be a Cowboys from now on, whatever that entails. From the sound of what he says, I get the distinct impression that he's seen enough of life with Oakland that he really appreciates his stay with Dallas. I think he'll be willing to be reasonable and make certain that he doesn't outwear his welcome. He's one of those players who exemplifies good character. They're a pretty rare breed nowadays.

Scotman

Reaction score
If we didn't sign Cooper, I could have seen us wasting our 2nd round pick trying to trade up and catch a falling Lamb. Signing Copper may have saved us a draft pick. Just my opinion.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Of course Lamb would have still been the pick.

But do you think the front office would have still extended Cooper?

I think they would have given him his deal anyway. Reason being they did give up a 1st round pick for him and he has produced. But it certainly could have gave them more leverage during negotiations.

I would bet drafting Lamb and Cooper still only franchise tagged would have created more offseason drama.

Can only imagine the threads/debates on here had that been the case :laugh:

Still glad Cooper is a Cowboy for years to come!

#19 #88
:flagwave:
It gets really weird here at times.

We all want All Pros or wanna be Uber stars at every position..

But when we have them..

after years of taking them on the cheap..

and still not winning..

we suddenly want them to stay loyal to the team and its fans and sign a "Team Friendly Deal".

CeeDee may or may not be the guy we want him to be.

But Amari would have been signed regardless. The guy is a top 5 WR and has made the Pro Bowl for 4 years now.

Nothing would have changed. Jerrah likes his guys.

Amari will be in the ROH someday. CeeDee will be hanging MVP banners in his den.

It's all good.

Just stop hexing things. If either gets hurt and misses time watch the fanbase demand one of them be released as un-needed.

Fickle is as fickle does.

:angry:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think they would have franchise tagged him and seen how the season played out. If Lamb/Gallup really performed well they probably would of let Cooper walk and found a cheaper slot guy in the draft or free agency.

Of course that wasn’t possible with the new CBA and Dak.
cant Daks FT only one per team correct? I say they would have lowballed an offer like 18mil have let him walk to the skins if he refused ..

J12B

Reaction score
If we didn't sign Cooper, I could have seen us wasting our 2nd round pick trying to trade up and catch a falling Lamb. Signing Copper may have saved us a draft pick. Just my opinion.

And it definktely would have cost a second. Maybe even more. Eagles would have known we could have been targeting him and they would've got into a bidding war.