Impact of new analytics department felt in Cowboys' 2024 draft haul

Creeper

Reaction score
that is a media guys opinion.you think the cowboys are using a consensus ranking on making their draft board?.for example Liufau must have very higher on their board than almost all media guys.
No, I was not referring to the Cowboys. I was referring to the analysis in the article.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
I’m all for improved analytics being involved in signing players. I can’t imagine the number for a choke artist QB being anywhere near the top of the market.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is a GREAT read. Really explains the thinking that goes into the draft and the part analytics played into it.

The Cowboys appear to have drafted for serious value.
By David Howman@_DH44_ May 2, 2024

The Cowboys have rounded out yet another draft class with the 2024 NFL Draft over and done now. However, unlike most years where there is a level of consensus around how the team did, this year’s class has proven to be rather divisive. Even the national sites that published grades for the Cowboys’ haul were pretty split on their opinion this year.

Some of that has to do with certain draft experts just not liking the players that Dallas selected, but much of it also has to do with the perception that the Cowboys didn’t fill enough needs through the draft. That second line of thought is fully at odds with the Cowboys’ philosophical approach to the draft, especially this year.

Shortly after the conclusion of the regular season, I took a deep dive into the Cowboys’ organizational overhaul of their analytics department that took place last offseason, as the team transitioned from a small, undermanned unit led by Tom Robinson to what is now one of the largest analytics departments in the league, headed up by John Park. In the final installment of that series, an attempt to forecast what was next for Park’s team focused on the draft'

Much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ics-department-2024-will-mcclay-stephen-jones

usa_today_18903716.0.jpg

I’m a Database Engineer so a big fan of analytics. Can you imagine if the trade was reversed and Dallas gave up a 3rd?

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
The next evolution really is to just ask a drunken Larry Lacewell who to pick.
Lacewell also drew info from analytics, although his research consisted primarily about player's moms if I remember his interview questioning correctly

visionary

Reaction score
What happens when you give a sharp tool to a monkey?

Yeah, exactly

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The “value picks” are based off media boards which can wildly differ from actual team boards.

This isn’t analytics. This is a case of teams having their boards different than each others which leads to certain players dropping.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Didn’t realize the Jones Boys had finally modernized. Remains to be seen but definitely felt like a solid draft. Not at all the same sinking feeling had last year.
And they didnt.

They just have a different excuse for their bad decissions.
And nothing changed: The excuses sound always like they have invented something great which keeps them ahead of others. Well our richly filled trophy shrine over the last 30 years supports their depiction.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been ok with the draft for a few years now. What I want is a OL coach!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is an excellent read and it’s good to see the Cowboys using data to lead their draft instead of Jerry’s gut.

There is one piece of very clear and important data they are still obviously not considering: the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone else as their GM and chief decision maker regarding football operations.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is an excellent read and it’s good to see the Cowboys using data to lead their draft instead of Jerry’s gut.
I hope everyone takes the time to read and it and really understand the concepts and understands whats happening. Because all future drafts will be executed the same way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well when i analyze our picks over the last 6 years good luck with your approach.
My approach is I give them time as 1st and 2nd year players. I try not to over think and judge on a few plays.

If they work out, great, if they don't, move on and replace them (though Jerry often does not). As I don't waste my time complaining. Not good for the mental health. :laugh:

gtb1943

Reaction score
So the value of the analytics is only as good as the consensus board and does not take into account the overall talent level of the draft class. I love using data, but using a consensus board is using a subjective measurement rather than a data generated outcome. What this analysis shows is how well each team did based on the consensus value of each player but this is not a prediction of how well a player will perform in the NFL. It is really just a guess. In 3 years we can compare this analysis to the fate of all these players and see how good the consensus board was.

Too bad they can't come up with a way to actually reduce players to performance metrics that can predict their potential in the NFL. Now that would be something.
because in the end you are dealing with the chaotic creatures known as human beings

Verdict

Reaction score
In essence they took BPA over need. That usually results in drafting better players. There is no winning in drafting a bad player to fill a need and then cut that player, or worse live with that player because you drafted him.