Important Roster Decisions...

Verdict

Reaction score
I am normally a glass half full guy, but as I look at this roster, some important decisions are going to have to be made.

One of the first is what we are going to do with Marion Barber. First off, let me say that I am a huge Marion Barber fan. Huge. I would LOVE to see him be a Cowboy next year. He runs with passion. He is great at grinding out the tough yards. What he is NOT is a home run threat. He doesn't have the speed to slip a tackle and take it the length of the field for a touchdown.

Now before you start bashing me, I'm not saying he has to have it, but you can't overpay for a back like that. If we tender him for less than a first and a third rounder, we will probably lose him. But no team will pay a first and a third for him.

I think these are our options:

1. Sign him to a new deal. I think that means mid tier running back money, only. I would not do it if it took more than that.
2. Tender him at the first and third round tender. This is the equivalent of renting him for one year, which I am ok with, or letting him go for a first and a third. I'd let him go if we got that for him.
3. Tender him at the first round tender. At first blush I thought we would lose him if we tender him at this rate, but realistically, would you advocate giving up the Cowboy's first round pick for MBIII. I'm not sure I would.

Cap wise, and intellectually speaking, I think you let Barber go ... but we are probably not going to because I don't think a super bowl caliber team goes into next year without a stating caliber back. On the other hand you could easily replace Barber with a first round pick, and it frees up a lot of cap room for other players. It also keeps your cap healthy for the long term. I think this one is closer to call than many might think.

I think I would tender Barber at the first round tender unless I could sign him to a favorable deal and let him go if someone matched.

Flozell is a tougher call. If you franchise him, he hurts your cap for a year, but doesn't affect your cap long term. You can't just "play" with your QB's future and a 67 million dollar investment by putting a revolving door at tackle. I think unless it is deemed that we have Flo's replacement on the roster that we franchise him for a year. I would not resign Flozell to a lengthy contract.

I would tender Canty at the first round tender and let him go if someone wanted him for a first rounder.

Reaction score
I heard reports that Jerry was going to Re-sign Barber to an extension by the super bowl. And that was before we lost, with Jones getting 3 carries in the playoff game and losing his starting position (offically). I think that showed which way the organization is going.

Reaction score
MB3 and Canty are a must... I'd like to see Hatcher starting in place of Spears and move him inside, Spears could be a nice back up inside and play a little outside when it's obvious running downs...

JBS

Reaction score
for those of you who believe we are going to be able to sign marion barber to mid range money so to speak - you guys have another thing coming. You either feel marion barber is worth big bucks and he will remain a dallas cowboy or you do not and another team will and he will be gone. All that being said he is still a RFA so we do have time on our side. But we arent going to be able to keep him long term for avg RB salary. He will definitely cost us.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Franchise Flo, and then trade him. Whatever you get is more than you would otherwise. Though if you need the money for FA freewheelin', perhaps you let him walk. If you start the season with him, at his age, you are taking a calculated risk at the increased chances of injury. We gambled on Terry Glenn, and it turned out to not be worth it.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I think with what happened to Crayton (drops and egg after contract) and because you haven't seen Barber as a "starter" getting 75% plus of the carries each game, you want to be a bit careful with his contract.

I'd tender him the 1st and 3rd for sure. If someone gives him an outrageous offer then you need to make a tough choice. I think the team needs to be careful about big contracts for a little bit now. We have talent yes! Do we have smarts, leadership, and toughness? Not sure. The unfair thing is Barber has the toughness and he leads on the field with his energy/attitude.

I think the home run running back concept is a bit over-rated. If Barber gets 130 yards a game, I don't care if he gets it in 4 18 yard plus gains and then 4 a pop. I do believe he'd be a wonderful rotation with a slash/speed/scat type back though. I also believe a multipurpose veteran as a backup is a must too, OR an experienced FB that can catch and run a bit besides blocking to complement the young Crickett.

LarryCanadian

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1907857 said:
Adams is gone...

Get use to it.

Flo is dead to me after that last illegal procedure. It's enough already and never ending. He's the wrong side of 30 and overpaid.

And as Madden always says, you can al;ways count on one of those from Flo every game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1907857 said:
Adams is gone...

Get use to it.

You don't know that.

Quite frankly, Runyan was in the same exact situation two years ago and signed a very manageable deal at the same age and position.

Have you even looked to see what the OT market will look like?

Starks, Gross and Stuessie are all to be on the market as well.

And i know you have zero idea how McQuistan, Free or Marten are doing.

It is very far from a sure thing that he wont be retained.