In 1988 the Raiders selected the first WR of the draft, and the Cowboys selected the 3rd

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did Sterling Sharpe make the HOF?

Either way, two HOFers out of the first three drafted receivers is pretty awesome.

*Sterling didn’t make it, but Anthony Miller was the 4th receiver taken and his numbers were great too.
He didn't but Sterling is being hurt by his limited time playing. Everyone considers him a HOF talent. Just doesn't have the resume.

SSoup

Reaction score
All facts. I didn’t realize he didn’t get to play in the MVP years of Favre.
It's pretty amazing how well Green Bay and Favre weathered losing Sharpe, too.

Every time we lost a key cog in our passing game in the '90s, it felt like our passing game just kind of went backwards and we spent years talking about, "Man, if only we hadn't lost [insert whichever name whose departure left us significantly worse off, Harper/Novacek/Irvin]."

For them to lose Sharpe at his peak (he scored 18 touchdowns in his last year), and for Favre to still win 3 straight MVPs running a prolific passing attack despite losing their best weapon was kind of crazy.

It was early in the salary cap era, so it's not like they had people stashed because it was a pre-cap environment. They just got lucky that recent 3rd rounders Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks turned out to be really good. And Bill Schroeder blew up out of nowhere not long after that too.

Thomas82

Reaction score
@Mookie Interesting tidbit

Which was the better WR Tim Brown or Michael Irvin? Talent-wise that is a tough one but I will go with Brown. I know which one was quieter and had less baggage. Pretty obvious which one had the bigger heart of a champion.

All in all, I would say that Brown would have put up even better numbers with the great Cowboys team than Irvin did. I think with Brown, maybe the Cowboys win one more SB than they did with Irvin.

I still remember Tim Brown wanting to come to the Cowboys as a free agent in 1996, I believe. He says he didn't because Michael Irvin didn't want him there.