In '92 and '93

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
didn't we lose a game to the Skins? wasn't there a point in one of our Super Bowl winning teams, that we lost both times to the Commanders?

just curious

Boysboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2304194 said:
didn't we lose a game to the Skins? wasn't there a point in one of our Super Bowl winning teams, that we lost both times to the Commanders?

just curious

The Skins were a good team in '92, and we lost that game at RFK thanks to a controversial play(it looked like Aikman's arm was moving forward, but the officials saw it otherwise and the Skins recovered it in the endzone resulting in 7). The Skins weren't very good in '93, but remember Emmitt held out the first 2 games, and our offense went stagnant during that time.

Like I said-this loss doesn't worry me now. FedEx may be a house of horrors for Romo, but when we play them next time, we'll be coming off a bye and we'll be healthier(hopefully).

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2304194 said:

just curious

The '92 loss was the most bizarre, with Emmitt kinda handing the game away at the end. You should see the highlight. If last Sunday's loss made you angry, seeing the end of that one would make 10 times as angry.

The 1992 team was 2 last second TDs away from being 15-1.

I'll try to find it on youtube and post a link.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
difference is in 91 we won a playoff game and in 92 we were defending champs. we knew what we had with that team and we don't know yet what we have in this team.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
yes we split with them in 92 & 93, and we were actually swept by them in 95.

That said, other than coincidence I see no comparison...those 92-95 teams were EONS better than this team...they played with far more focus and from a technical standpoint were better in every area than this team

Any of those teams would beat this team by 2 or 3 tds...nobody probably wants to think or hear that, but its absolutely true

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Rampage;2304206 said:
difference is in 91 we won a playoff game and in 92 we were defending champs. we knew what we had with that team and we don't know yet what we have in this team.

Also, I *trusted* those teams in the early 90's. By that, I mean they seemed to make game to game adjustments after a loss or a win. By this, I mean they adjust their scheme, not always their personnel.

This team can't be trusted yet, because I haven't seen an adjustment to scheme made in the past couple of years. I've seen players come and go, but the scheme (esp. on defense) seems unchanged...very stubborn!

Boysboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2304206 said:

That '91 team finished VERY strongly too. Remember at the beginning of that season, we lost to the Skins at home on Mon Night b/c of some boneheaded mistakes(i.e. Daniel Stubbs' late hit on Mark Rypien in the 4th when we had the lead), and then followed it up the week after with a stinker at home against the Eagles.

However-late in the year, we ended the Skins' unbeaten streak at RFK b/c we controlled the LOS, and then we went into The Vet a couple of weeks later with a VERY improved OL play.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2304211 said:
yes we split with them in 92 & 93, and we were actually swept by them in 95.

That said, other than coincidence I see no comparison...those 92-95 teams were EONS better than this team...they played with far more focus and from a technical standpoint were better in every area than this team

Any of those teams would beat this team by 2 or 3 tds...nobody probably wants to think or hear that, but its absolutely true

Then explain to me how the '92 team got beat badly by the LOWLY Rams in Dec? Or how about the '93 team that got spanked by lowly Atlanta(they were getting beaten badly BEFORE Emmitt went down)?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Boysboy;2304218 said:
Then explain to me how the '92 team got beat badly by the LOWLY Rams in Dec? Or how about the '93 team that got spanked by lowly Atlanta(they were getting beaten badly BEFORE Emmitt went down)?

Well, they didn't get beaten badly by the lowly Rams in 1992. The only team that beat them badly that year was the Eagles on MNF (blowout).

The Cowboys were driving to win the game against the Rams at the end of the game, but Aikman and company fell short of the endzone. It wasn't a blowout. I think the Rams won by 4 points.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304225 said:
Well, they didn't get beaten badly by the lowly Rams in 1992. The only team that beat them badly that year was the Eagles on MNF (blowout).

The Cowboys were driving to win the game against the Rams at the end of the game, but Aikman and company fell short of the endzone. It wasn't a blowout. I think the Rams won by 4 points.
So, about as badly as we lost to the Skins last week, then.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
windward;2304240 said:
So, about as badly as we lost to the Skins last week, then.

Yes. And the loss the Eagles was a complete thrashing. Final score was like 37-7 or something. We really stunk it up, but righted the ship to a 13-3 record in 1992...and a Super Bowl victory.

The loss to the skins that year was kinda like the loss we had with Romo at QB in 2006 at FedEx. A controversial play at the end of the game resulting in a loss. It was the most bizarre play I've seen.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304247 said:
Yes. And the loss the Eagles was a complete thrashing. Final score was like 37-7 or something. We really stunk it up, but righted the ship to a 13-3 record in 1992...and a Super Bowl victory.

The loss to the skins that year was kinda like the loss we had with Romo at QB in 2006 at FedEx. A controversial play at the end of the game resulting in a loss. It was the most bizarre play I've seen.
Oh yes, I remember that game. Back in those days , pre-Internet pre sunday Ticket, I waited with bated breath those 10 minute updates and game breaks.

While stuck with a terrible Rams/ Saints game, as the end of that game unfolded, I grew increasingly pissed off at the Cowboys letting the Skins linger all game. When that they showed Emmitt's fumble, I was as pissed off as a 9 year old could be.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
Boysboy;2304218 said:
The cowboys lost by a field goal I believe. It was the only home loss. It happens sometimes. Even the greatest teams have a bad day or two. They are entitled. In 93 Emmitt went out during the game with an injury. But like I said you can't expect to beat every team every time and not have bad days. It happens we all have them. Even the niners that year(who went 14-2) lost to the cardinals of all teams at home in the stick. You see what I mean. It happens.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CowboyMark;2304271 said:
The cowboys lost by a field goal I believe. It was the only home loss. It happens sometimes. Even the greatest teams have a bad day or two. They are entitled. In 93 Emmitt went out during the game with an injury. But like I said you can't expect to beat every team every time and not have bad days. It happens we all have them. Even the niners that year(who went 14-2) lost to the cardinals of all teams at home in the stick. You see what I mean. It happens.
QFT....

Don Corleone

Reaction score
windward;2304263 said:
Oh yes, I remember that game. Back in those days , pre-Internet pre sunday Ticket, I waited with bated breath those 10 minute updates and game breaks.

While stuck with a terrible Rams/ Saints game, as the end of that game unfolded, I grew increasingly pissed off at the Cowboys letting the Skins linger all game. When that they showed Emmitt's fumble, I was as pissed off as a 9 year old could be.

I actually think it was Aikman's fumble that Emmitt picked up and then mysteriously tossed it to a Commanders defender. I think we were on the brink of scoring and winning that game when it happened.

When I get home from work, I'm going to try to find the clip on youtube.

In the end, the loss did matter a bit because we wound up having to play the NFC Champ game in San Fran, but we did win the Super Bowl.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304316 said:
I actually think it was Aikman's fumble that Emmitt picked up and then mysteriously tossed it to a Commanders defender. I think we were on the brink of scoring and winning that game when it happened.

When I get home from work, I'm going to try to find the clip on youtube.

In the end, the loss did matter a bit because we wound up having to play the NFC Champ game in San Fran, but we did win the Super Bowl.

Even if we had won that game, SF would still have had HFA via tiebreaker advantage.

However-the '94 reg loss @SF was REALLY a killer-we had like 3 TOs in the redzone, and Erik Williams' presence was missed as Rickey Jackson took Larry Allen to the woodshed. Otherwise, we would have played the Niners in the NFCCG at TX Stadium instead, and likely would have 3-peated.