In '92 and '93

MONT17

Reaction score
I would rather compare colts and phillies but any loss to the skins is hard to take but a home loss in Texas Stadium makes ppl go postal! I would b happy with the boys goin 1-15 as long as they win @ home v the skins!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Boysboy;2304318 said:
Even if we had won that game, SF would still have had HFA via tiebreaker advantage.

However-the '94 reg loss @SF was REALLY a killer-we had like 3 TOs in the redzone, and Erik Williams' presence was missed as Rickey Jackson took Larry Allen to the woodshed. Otherwise, we would have played the Niners in the NFCCG at TX Stadium instead, and likely would have 3-peated.

Ahhh, painful memories. :bang2:

CowboyMark

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304316 said:
I actually think it was Aikman's fumble that Emmitt picked up and then mysteriously tossed it to a Commanders defender. I think we were on the brink of scoring and winning that game when it happened.
Actually the boys were winning 23-20 with about 1:30 to go.They got the ball very deep in their territory. I remember Brad Sham and Hansen saying that they couldn't believe they were passing instead of running the ball. Aikman was hit as he was throwing it. Emmitt tried to recover it and run with it but as he touched the ball he was tackled and fumbled again which is where the skins scored and won the game. Had emmitt just kicked the ball away it would have been a safety and we would have won 23-22. The skins were just getting their *** beat for most of the game. It's one of those games where a team completely dominates but ends up losing. Don't know how those things happen but they happen.

Boysboy

Reaction score
CowboyMark;2304577 said:
Actually the boys were winning 23-20 with about 1:30 to go.They got the ball very deep in their territory. I remember Brad Sham and Hansen saying that they couldn't believe they were passing instead of running the ball. Aikman was hit as he was throwing it. Emmitt tried to recover it and run with it but as he touched the ball he was tackled and fumbled again which is where the skins scored and won the game. Had emmitt just kicked the ball away it would have been a safety and we would have won 23-22. The skins were just getting their *** beat for most of the game. It's one of those games where a team completely dominates but ends up losing. Don't know how those things happen but they happen.

But didn't the replay show that Aikman's arm was GOING FORWARD when he got hit?

I remember reading in the paper the next day how this was the big controversy in this game. Instant replay was pulled like a couple of years before that, so, of course, they couldn't challenge the play.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Boysboy;2304218 said:
Then explain to me how the '92 team got beat badly by the LOWLY Rams in Dec? Or how about the '93 team that got spanked by lowly Atlanta(they were getting beaten badly BEFORE Emmitt went down)?

they got beat by the Rams in midseason (we were 8-1, they were 3-6) and did not get beaten badly. We got beat 27-23.

The 93 loss to the Falcons Emmitt left on the first or second series of the game as I recall, and I was there. Aikman also DNP that week. We were down 13-0 at the half of that game.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;2304615 said:
they got beat by the Rams in midseason (we were 8-1, they were 3-6) and did not get beaten badly. We got beat 27-23.

The 93 loss to the Falcons Emmitt left on the first or second series of the game as I recall, and I was there. Aikman also DNP that week. We were down 13-0 at the half of that game.
Yep. Bernie Kosar started that game, and he had only been with the team for a little over a week at that point.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304247 said:
Yes. And the loss the Eagles was a complete thrashing. Final score was like 37-7 or something. We really stunk it up, but righted the ship to a 13-3 record in 1992...and a Super Bowl victory.

The loss to the skins that year was kinda like the loss we had with Romo at QB in 2006 at FedEx. A controversial play at the end of the game resulting in a loss. It was the most bizarre play I've seen.

We lost 31-7 that night at Philly, and we actually outgained Philly in yds, and the score was 10-7 at the half. We lost because we turned the ball over 4 times in that game and forced only one. They didnt move the ball up and down the field at will on us.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2304615 said:

I was in Europe in '93 and was crammed in a tiny 1 bedroom apt at the time. The best I could get was radio, and the soundwaves on CBS sports radio was VERY sketchy(at best).

Didn't realize Emmitt left in the 2nd series-it sounded like they said he left like a few minutes before halftime down 13-7.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Boysboy;2304636 said:
I was in Europe in '93 and was crammed in a tiny 1 bedroom apt at the time. The best I could get was radio, and the soundwaves on CBS sports radio was VERY sketchy(at best).

Didn't realize Emmitt left in the 2nd series-it sounded like they said he left like a few minutes before halftime down 13-7.

I'd have to find the box score, but I am pretty sure he got hurt on his first or second carry ...everyone there thought he had broken his leg or something because of how bad it looked...it was some sort of thigh injury if I remember right

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2304670 said:
I'd have to find the box score, but I am pretty sure he got hurt on his first or second carry ...everyone there thought he had broken his leg or something because of how bad it looked...it was some sort of thigh injury if I remember right

You are likely right-my pt was that CBS radio over in Belgium had tons of static, and while I was able to get Emmitt was injured, I couldn't make out WHEN and WHAT PLAY he got injured on. It just sounded like 2nd quarter, but again, there was too much static.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Our Defense is not as clutch or dominant as 92/93. This team is overhyped and at time late last year and last week run over and couldn't stop.

Till that is fixed there is no SB..RUN

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;2304670 said:
Bruised quadriceps IIRC.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304316 said:
I actually think it was Aikman's fumble that Emmitt picked up and then mysteriously tossed it to a Commanders defender. I think we were on the brink of scoring and winning that game when it happened.

When I get home from work, I'm going to try to find the clip on youtube.

In the end, the loss did matter a bit because we wound up having to play the NFC Champ game in San Fran, but we did win the Super Bowl.

It was Aikmans fumble but we were no near scoring on the play. The fumble went back into our own endzone and Emmitt, instead of falling on it and only giving the Skins 2, picked it up and tried to run with it and then he lost control of it as he was getting tackled and the Skins pounced on it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2304194 said:
didn't we lose a game to the Skins? wasn't there a point in one of our Super Bowl winning teams, that we lost both times to the Commanders?

just curious

1995 Superbowl Championship season we lost both times to the Skins. It was made worse that year because there were all the rumors, and speculation, from those in the Switzer camp that Aikman had intentionally lost those games to the Skins so Norv could look good and save his job, because the Skins that year were pretty terrible. I think they might have finished 6-10 at best, might have been 4-12.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2304828 said:
1995 Superbowl Championship season we lost both times to the Skins. It was made worse that year because there were all the rumors, and speculation, from those in the Switzer camp that Aikman had intentionally lost those games to the Skins so Norv could look good and save his job, because the Skins that year were pretty terrible. I think they might have finished 6-10 at best, might have been 4-12.

6-10, with a 27-23 win over Dallas (Aikman got injured in the first half and left the game at RFK) and a 24-17 win with Heath Shuler at QB in Dallas

Boysboy

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;2304955 said:
6-10, with a 27-23 win over Dallas (Aikman got injured in the first half and left the game at RFK) and a 24-17 win with Heath Shuler at QB in Dallas

In both games, I remember Terry Allen having big games. I believe in the first game at RFK, he became the first RB to run for over 100 against us. In the second game, he all but carried the Skins and kept our O on the sidelines most of the game.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2304828 said:
Those Skins were 6-10.

Really frustrating losses.

Game 1, Aikman goes out in the first quarter and our offense stalls with Wade Wilson under center. Terry Allen runs all over our d. The O finally gets going, but we fall short 27-23

Game 2 Can't get the ball in the endzone. Emmitt fumbles ball out of endzone for touchback. Turnoversand mistakes doomed us. Again, too little, too late as we fall 24-17.

Boysboy

Reaction score
windward;2304965 said:
Those Skins were 6-10.

Really frustrating losses.

Game 1, Aikman goes out in the first quarter and our offense stalls with Wade Wilson under center. Terry Allen runs all over our d. The O finally gets going, but we fall short 27-23

Game 2 Can't get the ball in the endzone. Again, too little, too late as we fall 24-17.

We were pretty short-handed in game 2 as well. Ray Donaldson(our center) went down with a broken leg the week before in the T-Giving game against KC, and we had a couple of injuries on the DL(Russell Maryland being one of them).

For the first half of Dec, we couldn't run the ball well b/c we couldn't get much holes in the middle of the OL, and our run D also suffered with Maryland(and another guy) out. Philly's Ricky Waters and NYG's Rodney Hampton just ran wild on us in the next 2 weeks.

However-Derek Kenard started making a nice transition from guard to center when all was said and done, and Switzer/Campo realized they made a huge mistake in moving Leon Lett to DE. We were able to clinch HFA in the last week of the season against AZ b/c of these adjustments. And, of course, Maryland came back in time for the playoffs, and Haley/Donaldson came back in time for the Super Bowl.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2304247 said:
Yes. And the loss the Eagles was a complete thrashing. Final score was like 37-7 or something. We really stunk it up, but righted the ship to a 13-3 record in 1992...and a Super Bowl victory.

The loss to the skins that year was kinda like the loss we had with Romo at QB in 2006 at FedEx. A controversial play at the end of the game resulting in a loss. It was the most bizarre play I've seen.

31-10

In the Ram game, the Cowboys were way ahead but choked it away.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2304994 said:
31-10

In the Ram game, the Cowboys were way ahead but choked it away.
Went ahead on a Kelvin Martin punt return.