In a contract year, what would a Bland deal cost us?

conner01

Reaction score
Less than Parsons...
I’d say Diggs money right now and maybe more when he can actually be signed, depending on what he does next year. I think Micah will be the highest paid defensive player in the nfl. You could argue a couple other guys are better but I don’t think either of them are due before Micah

coult44

Reaction score
IDK, but I would be trying to negotiate before the end of that deal to decide what I was going to do with him.

This is a special time for the team and this young man. Maybe he will break the record again before the year is out. Maybe two more times.

But he might not do it again for another two years. He’s a talented kid. But every player has a cap number that you shouldn’t exceed. Can DQ find another just like him in the 5th round and develop him like he did Bland?
This is the mindset that keeps teams in the gutter. You have a great player and you want to downplay him because it “might not” happen again. I bet you you said something similar about Ceedee, Micah, and Trevon.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’m not completely against the idea of more expanded rosters, actually wish the league would do that, but adding a couple end of roster players to vet min deals doesn’t even come close to making up the jump in cap space every year
gotcha

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In reality the Cowboys probably won’t be able to keep both Diggs and Bland. Bland first two seasons blow Diggs first 3 years out of the water. Bland has a better argument than Dak had in his contract year to be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL. We all know Dak became the highest paid quarterback.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas can basically set their salary cap up like a ticking time bomb set to go off in 2027 or so. They may not be able to be players in free agency but they can keep this group together for a few year run.

https://overthecap.com/player/nick-bosa/7793

Bosa's cap hit by year:
2023: 11m
2024: 14.6m
2025: 20.5m
2026: 42.0m
2027: 52.0m
2028: 42.9m

Parson's deal is going to look like that. Bland's deal is going to look like that (but smaller). CeeDee's deal is going to look like that (but smaller). Dallas will be able to have reasonable contract sizes for 3 years or so and this is just going to blow the hell up.

Flamma

Reaction score
Market value. It’s what all great players deserve and usually get. To me, there’s absolutely no mystery. Bland will command top of the market for a CB in 2 years unless he gets injured or his play drops off.

A few years ago Stephen Jones made one of the dumbest comments I’ve ever seen from him (and that’s saying a lot) He once said, “We don’t believe in setting the market for any player”. Right before the Cowboys overpaid for Zeke and established the RB market. They will most certainly establish the market when they sign Parsons to a big deal next year.

If your team is good enough to draft and develop a top NFL player at any position, you should absolutely be prepared to pay fair market value to keep that guy. That’s just the way it is.
He don't have a 5th year option, so probably after next year. You don't want to wait until his contract runs out. But you're right, if he continues to play at a high level, he's going to want Diggs money.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dallas can basically set their salary cap up like a ticking time bomb set to go off in 2027 or so. They may not be able to be players in free agency but they can keep this group together for a few year run.

https://overthecap.com/player/nick-bosa/7793

Bosa's cap hit by year:
2023: 11m
2024: 14.6m
2025: 20.5m
2026: 42.0m
2027: 52.0m
2028: 42.9m

Parson's deal is going to look like that. Bland's deal is going to look like that (but smaller). CeeDee's deal is going to look like that (but smaller). Dallas will be able to have reasonable contract sizes for 3 years or so and this is just going to blow the hell up.
Exactly. We won't see a big cap hit from Parsons until '26 or '27. Bland further than that. The cap will grow during that time.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont want to see Gilmore go.

I know nothing about technique or what the responsibilities of the DB's are...but my eye tells me Gilmore is solid at what he does.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In reality the Cowboys probably won’t be able to keep both Diggs and Bland. Bland first two seasons blow Diggs first 3 years out of the water. Bland has a better argument than Dak had in his contract year to be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL. We all know Dak became the highest paid quarterback.
Dak didnt become the highest paid QB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He don't have a 5th year option, so probably after next year. You don't want to wait until his contract runs out. But you're right, if he continues to play at a high level, he's going to want Diggs money.
If they sign him after next year they can also roll money into his 4th year, which would keep his cap hits down

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's earned the right to ask for the market max. No one knows what that will be when it comes time to ask for it. Only time will tell.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they sign him after next year they can also roll money into his 4th year, which would keep his cap hits down
Yes. That's exactly why they should sign him after next year. They should have tried to sign Lamb before this year too. This way they have his 4th, and 5th year option to spread out the contract. But hey, I'm not the GM.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First, you extend him in year three, next year. You do not wait for his actual contract year. When he gets to his contract year, the bag is dangling in front of him and his agent, and you will pay top dollar. If his every day play is as good as we fans think it is, not just the INTs, then you have a 5th round pick who has made very little money, comparatively, so you offer a nice big bag as soon as possible. You change his life a year early, and you shorten the time before he gets to negotiate another new bag. That’s about the only way the team gets a decent bargain for his services.