In Hindsight...

jps_tex

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over I was thinking, and if I knew then what I knew now, here is what I would've loved to have happened in the draft:

Carpenter - OLB - very good OLB and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Fassano - TE - can black and catch, and Parcells, Jones, and ireland wanted him
Hatcher - DE - may be a Leon Lett clone, and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Green - ST/WR - hopefully a Dave Meggett clone, and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Watkins - FS - tall, fast, centerfield type player, and should I mention that Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him?
Stanley - DT - big NT that we need to clog up the middle, and oh, that's right......Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
McQuistan - OL - big project player that Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted
Whitley - OL - very versatile and guess what? That's right....Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him

What I'm trying to get at here is that we as fans enjoy the game and think we know crap, but guess what?........................................WE DON'T!!!!!!!

I actually heard a caller hear in NC call into a Charolette Sport Radio station yesterday and use the argument that Bobby Carpenter was going to suck because all LBs from Ohio State (i.e. Katzenmora, or whatever the hell his name was) are busts in the NFL. Then went on to say that we should've taken Winston Justice......excuse me, but does he remember Jacob Rogers?

I just can't believe some of the idiotic statements that are beeing said about the Dallas draft. Nobody really knows for sure what is going to happen with them all...they could all be hall-of-famers, they could all be busts...who the hell knows. Let's trust the people that know what the Hell they're doing (Parcells, Jones, and Ireland) and see what these draftees can do, and not just this year, but over their career as a DALLAS COWBOY.

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :laugh1: :laugh1: :starspin :starspin

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am absolutely sick and disgusted with the argument of 'they know what they're doing, we don't, that's why they have their jobs.'

Tell that to Buffalo fans - I'll bet they feel better.

Or Texan fans - obviously Williams is better than Bush, any fool can see that.

JFE has been aggravating lately, but she did make a comment a day or two ago that really made sense - right after the draft, everyone thinks their team 'got the exact players they wanted, filled all their needs, really found diamonds in the rough, etc."

Saying let's 'trust the men who know what they are doing' doesn't really hold up either. Of those three cited, 1 has never had a bad draft, and that's because this was only his second.

Eddie

Reaction score
jps_tex said:
What I'm trying to get at here is that we as fans enjoy the game and think we know crap, but guess what?........................................WE DON'T!!!!!!!

Then why are you ragging on the caller when you already stated you don't know crap???

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
jps_tex said:
Now that the draft is over I was thinking, and if I knew then what I knew now, here is what I would've loved to have happened in the draft:

Carpenter - OLB - very good OLB and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Fassano - TE - can black and catch, and Parcells, Jones, and ireland wanted him
Hatcher - DE - may be a Leon Lett clone, and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Green - ST/WR - hopefully a Dave Meggett clone, and Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
Watkins - FS - tall, fast, centerfield type player, and should I mention that Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him?
Stanley - DT - big NT that we need to clog up the middle, and oh, that's right......Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him
McQuistan - OL - big project player that Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted
Whitley - OL - very versatile and guess what? That's right....Parcells, Jones, and Ireland wanted him

I actually heard a caller hear in NC call into a Charolette Sport Radio station yesterday and use the argument that Bobby Carpenter was going to suck because all LBs from Ohio State (i.e. Katzenmora, or whatever the hell his name was) are busts in the NFL. Then went on to say that we should've taken Winston Justice......excuse me, but does he remember Jacob Rogers?

I just can't believe some of the idiotic statements that are beeing said about the Dallas draft. Nobody really knows for sure what is going to happen with them all...they could all be hall-of-famers, they could all be busts...who the hell knows. Let's trust the people that know what the Hell they're doing (Parcells, Jones, and Ireland) and see what these draftees can do, and not just this year, but over their career as a DALLAS COWBOY.

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :laugh1: :laugh1: :starspin :starspin

All Zoners should read this ....makes a lot of sence to me......good post!:cool:

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I am absolutely sick and disgusted with the argument of 'they know what they're doing, we don't, that's why they have their jobs.'

JFE has been aggravating lately, but she did make a comment a day or two ago that really made sense - right after the draft, everyone thinks their team 'got the exact players they wanted, filled all their needs, really found diamonds in the rough, etc."

Saying let's 'trust the men who know what they are doing' doesn't really hold up either. Of those three cited, 1 has never had a bad draft, and that's because this was only his second.

Good point, but to bring up the flip side of that coin... It is just as easy to Monday morning QB-it and say the draft was horrible.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
you know what, the only reason I will never question nthe drafts is I like jerry jones. no other reason the guy has grown on me through the years and until he leaves I am not gonna question the decisions they make.

pretty simple to me

jps_tex

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Then why are you ragging on the caller when you already stated you don't know crap???

Spin it any way you want to, but the fact remains the same......there is not 1 person on this planet that can say whether any of these players will be good pros or not.

I'm sick of people stating with 100% certainty that so-an-so will be a bust, or so-and-so is a sure fire Pro-Bowler. We don't know what they will be like, so we need to trut the people that are in charge of scouting and drafting them.

jps_tex

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Hey CrownRoyal, so I've been in some Hospitals before, would you like me take make the call of what was needed if you were in an accident or something?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
Good point, but to bring up the flip side of that coin... It is just as easy to Monday morning QB-it and say the draft was horrible.

Sure it is. It's ridiculous to go either way - to say it was a perfect draft and I'm not going to question it because they obviously saw something and know what they are doing is just as ridiculous as this draft was God-awful and I hate it our brain trust is crazy but I'm not going to say why.

My point is that this is a message board, and while we don't do this for a living, I'd like to think a lot of people here are at least somewhat knowledgeable of the game and it's workings. There is nothing wrong with not being in love with this draft, and to say 'well we aren't the experts' is a pretty shoddy argument.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jps_tex said:
Hey CrownRoyal, so I've been in some Hospitals before, would you like me take make the call of what was needed if you were in an accident or something?
Yes...understanding football requires the same skillset as performing surgury. Fantastic analogy.

EDIT: But I'll play your game. I'm not, nor do I think you are, a die hard fan of medicine. I don't read books on it, watch Discovery-Medical on TV or read trade magazines.

I DO, however, study football on a regular basis. I keep up to date with what is going on, I know the players, the leaders, how the mechanics of the game work.

My cousin isn't a professional mechanic - he's a plumber. But he can work on any car in the world.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

I dont really get your point. Maybe the phrasing of the comment is wrong. Perhaps 'you are ignorant of the sitution going on at VR and as such youre uninformed opinion really has very little value,' is a better way of putting it. That combined with the egos of the people that whine about Big 12 players not being drafted is just annoying.

Bottomline is that according to many draft 'experts' or publications we picked players that were slotted higher than we actually picked them with the exception of Hatcher who is listed as both sides. That is the information we have. Any exclamations of what are going on in VR are about as useless as Floyd Engels whining.

About the only complaint i can really see is that we didnt go higher in the draft for OL but Jones stated that vcalue for value they stuck with their board as the OL at their picks wasnt valuable.

What I do know is that combined with our current talent and the addition of the OLB, S and NT our defense is going to be downright scary.

jps_tex

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
My point is that this is a message board, and while we don't do this for a living, I'd like to think a lot of people here are at least somewhat knowledgeable of the game and it's workings. There is nothing wrong with not being in love with this draft, and to say 'well we aren't the experts' is a pretty shoddy argument.

I agree with you on this. My problem is with the people that use such conviction one way or the other. I think we need to see how it all plays out in the future. You might have hated the draft, like you stated, but if 5 of the drafted players go on to have solid careers as Cowboys you might be forced to go back on your statment that it was a horrible draft. On the flip side, how about the draft class that had Roy Williams? I remember so many people saying that that might be the best draft class ever....well take Roy Williams out of the mix and it might be one of the worsts classes ever.

I'm just saying, we can debate this draft class into the dirt, but lets throw out valid points, and not just the proverbial "it sucks because I say it sucks" or " Bobby Carpenter will suck because all OSU LBs suck in the pros"

:laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jps_tex said:
I agree with you on this. My problem is with the people that use such conviction one way or the other. I think we need to see how it all plays out in the future. You might have hated the draft, like you stated, but if 5 of the drafted players go on to have solid careers as Cowboys you might be forced to go back on your statment that it was a horrible draft. On the flip side, how about the draft class that had Roy Williams? I remember so many people saying that that might be the best draft class ever....well take Roy Williams out of the mix and it might be one of the worsts classes ever.

I'm just saying, we can debate this draft class into the dirt, but lets throw out valid points, and not just the proverbial "it sucks because I say it sucks" or " Bobby Carpenter will suck because all OSU LBs suck in the pros"

:laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

OK - now you will find where I stated anything of the sort.

I am not displeased with this draft - I think it was solid. I graded it at a B. I do still question some of the picks, but I think we have a good chance to do something with them.

My point is that I've seen too far often on this board to 'not question the logic of the draft because you don't know,' or 'we aren't the experts, we aren't being paid to do this.' Those are unsound arguments.

But no - just because I'm pointing this out in the thread doesn't mean that I hate this draft, something I have never stated.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
I dont really get your point. Maybe the phrasing of the comment is wrong. Perhaps 'you are ignorant of the sitution going on at VR and as such youre uninformed opinion really has very little value,' is a better way of putting it. That combined with the egos of the people that whine about Big 12 players not being drafted is just annoying.

Bottomline is that according to many draft 'experts' or publications we picked players that were slotted higher than we actually picked them with the exception of Hatcher who is listed as both sides. That is the information we have. Any exclamations of what are going on in VR are about as useless as Floyd Engels whining.

About the only complaint i can really see is that we didnt go higher in the draft for OL but Jones stated that vcalue for value they stuck with their board as the OL at their picks wasnt valuable.

What I do know is that combined with our current talent and the addition of the OLB, S and NT our defense is going to be downright scary.

My opinion, and anyone else's, has value only insofar as this message board is concerned, but we are still entitled to it as much as the opinions of those who think that this draft is the next Elite Eight.

That's the point of a message board - to come together as fans and discuss our opinions on the going ons of our team. Sometimes that means agreeing with them, sometimes it doesn't.

jps_tex

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
OK - now you will find where I stated anything of the sort.

I am not displeased with this draft - I think it was solid. I graded it at a B. I do still question some of the picks, but I think we have a good chance to do something with them.

My point is that I've seen too far often on this board to 'not question the logic of the draft because you don't know,' or 'we aren't the experts, we aren't being paid to do this.' Those are unsound arguments.

But no - just because I'm pointing this out in the thread doesn't mean that I hate this draft, something I have never stated.

My bad then. Sorry about that. I must have read something else in the board and thought it was you that said the draft was "horrible".

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I agree crown. It is such a BS arguement to make a blanket statement and say Jerry and the braintrust know what they are doing, but excuse me has Jerry won a damn thing yet that wasn't with Jimmy Johnson's players. By my count we haven't had a playoff win in nearly a decade, so yes I think there are some posters on this board that could have done better than what the cowboys have over the last decade. If anyone doubts the genius that is AdamJT13 then I recommend a public stoning on the spot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I agree crown. It is such a BS arguement to make a blanket statement and say Jerry and the braintrust know what they are doing, but excuse me has Jerry won a damn thing yet that wasn't with Jimmy Johnson's players. By my count we haven't had a playoff win in nearly a decade, so yes I think there are some posters on this board that could have done better than what the cowboys have over the last decade. If anyone doubts the genius that is AdamJT13 then I recommend a public stoning on the spot.

And again whats your point? That its okay to not trust the Dallas FO? Bravo, you can continue the decade old mantra of Jone's sucks.

Campbell sucked and they got Fasano to replace him as they didnt like the value of the OL that were available. The guys that the people here were clamoring about just kept sliding.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
My opinion, and anyone else's, has value only insofar as this message board is concerned, but we are still entitled to it as much as the opinions of those who think that this draft is the next Elite Eight.

That's the point of a message board - to come together as fans and discuss our opinions on the going ons of our team. Sometimes that means agreeing with them, sometimes it doesn't.

Youre missing my point. YOure opinion as to what the decisions being made are at best uninformed.

Fine go ahead and say the front office sucks but I have as of yet not seen anything even resembling a legitimate argument against this draft.

I want players that were better values that are OL for example cause thats about the only argument that I can think of that I would give a poo about.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

No, they aren't. That kind of argument isn't exactly the all-powerful hammer of truth some people think it is, but the insight of credible experts is strong evidence in any research paper, court of law, or other discussion.

If I've got a question about physics, I'm going to pay more attention to Steven Hawking's opinion than some random stooge posting on the SilverQuarkDigest message boards. If I've got a point about democratic theory, I'm more apt to back it up using material from John Dewey or James Madison than Matt Drudge.

Parcells and Ireland are obviously not the foremost experts in their field, but their success rate lends them a degree of credibility ... and that credibility alone can usually trump the guys complaining because their magazine doesn't say anything about Jason Hatcher and they can't figure out why we'd need Anthony Fasano after signing Ryan Hannam, even if we are playing a two-TE offense.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
And again whats your point? That its okay to not trust the Dallas FO? Bravo, you can continue the decade old mantra of Jone's sucks.

Campbell sucked and they got Fasano to replace him as they didnt like the value of the OL that were available. The guys that the people here were clamoring about just kept sliding.
So you are saying Jones is above reproach? I'll say it again and again no playoff wins in a decade. I am not complaining about this draft or our offseason. I am defending the other fans right to if they wish because again we haven't won a playoff game in a decade.