In honor of Redsk*ns week... "The Gibbsian Moment"

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I thought I'd throw a punch "below the belt" and dust off this moldy oldie from our Redsk*n friend Om.

Try to read the whole thing... true comedy like this doesn't come along that often. It almost makes me feel bad for them. Nah! ;)

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122449&highlight=Gibbsian+Moment
The Gibbsian Moment
By Mark "Om" Steven
May 31, 2004

There are three kinds of Commanders fans.

Group One already knows what this piece is about, just for having read the title.

Group Two—a group to which I suspect few will admit belonging—may experience a moment of retroactive clarity; recognition of something that has been there all along, but upon which they simply never have put a mental finger. I know—hard to imagine. But still.

Group Three—for and about whom this piece is ultimately written—are those either too young or too new to the Burgundy and Gold to have fully appreciated the Joe Gibbs Washington Commanders, Act I.

For going on five months now, those of us in Group One have been quietly savoring the daydream that began on January 7, slowly assimilating the concept that the circle really and truly has been closed, and wrapping our minds around the concept that, no, it is in fact not a dream—it’s real. Joe Gibbs Is Back, and all delicious hell is about to break loose.

We’ve probably been a little insufferable about it—wearing those silly Mona Lisa smiles around, refusing to be drawn into the ubiquitous summertime arguments over rosters, draft strategies, front office dynamics, cap considerations and the like—and exuding an unmistakable “I have a secret” attitude. We’ll ask that you forgive us, but the truth is we have found it quite impossible to walk among our fellow man of late without sporting a bit of a ‘tude.

Why? Simple—because we’ve had ours. And we know what’s headed this way.

So we’ve just kind of been living with our admittedly insufferable selves, waiting for everyone else to have theirs ... figuring that when they have, we’ll all gather around the fire, throw back a few too many bottles of champagne, and share a few good laughs at the expense of the rest of the un-assimilated world (and the Two’s—but let’s keep that our secret for now).

Well, that’s what I thought, anyway, until something occurred to me a couple of days ago.

With apologies for being the one to call this to your attention, fellow Ones, I’m afraid I have a bit of bad news. You know that whole thing about us having “had” ours? Well, turns out that’s a double-edged sword. Yes, we still have a few more months to wallow in our smug superiority ... but ... now they all get to have theirs, too—and they get to live it for the first time. They get to live it now. All that stuff about the joy of discovery? ... first love? ... the magic of the first time? They haven’t been writing poetry and singing songs about that stuff since the dawn of Man for nothing, you know.

So I admit it—I’m jealous. More than that, I’m begrudging, covetous, esurient and invidious. Check the eyes ... green. So while the usually magnanimous, adult side of me is happy for them on an intellectual level, and while it’s true that I can’t wait until a few million new brothers and sisters step across the threshold and become Ones with the rest of us, the unvarnished truth is I’m also utterly envious that they are, at some point in the not-too-distant future, going to have their very own Gibbsian Moment.

So, as a self-appointed spokesman of the soon-to-no-longer-be-unique Group Oners who wish to enjoy the Moment again vicariously through all of you Two’s and Three’s, and in the hopes of at least participating in the process to some tiny degree, I intend to plant a couple of seeds here. Hopefully, some day soon, when many of you have had yours—when you’ve recognized it, internalized it, analyzed and personalized it—you’ll think back to the day in the early summer of 2004 that your long-winded colleague “called it” on behalf of those already where you are all about to go. Then we’ll all sit around, drink too much champagne, and share a good laugh.

Group Two is buying.

For most, achieving their Moment it will be a cumulative process; bits of data picked up here and there, until they reach critical mass one memorable day and introduce themselves as, say, Mr. Arrington once did Mr. Aikman. An attention-grabber, to be sure, but for the most part survivable. For others, it will simply rise up suddenly and come out of nowhere—a massive, epiphanous slap upside the metaphoric head. Now while that may sound like fun, do be careful if it should happen to you while driving or making love. Major crash and burn potential there, either way—to say nothing of the threat of sudden and unauthorized lane changes. Bad things, man.

And one hopes, for their sakes, there aren’t too many folks out there able to experience theirs only via a Super Bowl win—because there are simply no guarantees that we’re going there. We’re going in that direction, sure enough, but you probably oughtn’t put all your ova in that one particular basket. If you’re the kind inclined to only celebrate the ultimate victories in life, I humbly submit for your consideration the sage old adage: the key to happiness and fulfillment in life comes in learning to enjoy the journey, not focusing solely on the destination.

So ... enough with the black-turtleneck-wearing, outside-the-coffee-shop-playing-a-lute-image-summoning, surreptitiously-ogling-all-the young-women philosophizing. What about the MOMENT, already?

It could happen, conceivably, as early as training camp, assuming of course that you’re fortunate enough to attend a session or two. Not likely, mind you, because the team won’t be teeing it up in anger or anything, but if you’re there and watching closely—paying attention more to the football than the smokin’ babes in halters and/or righteous dudes without shirts (we are equal opportunity sexists here) in the stands—you may pick up some early sign. You won’t really know you’re having it just then, of course, but it could be a down-payment—one you look back at some point down the line, and realize, “yup, by dang, that’s when it started.”

It could come in something as subtle as taking notice of the manner in which the team carries itself, as it streams out of the big white building, down the steps and onto the field ... or the manner in which they move smartly from drill to drill—as if everyone knows precisely where they’re supposed to go, and what they’re supposed to do when they get there. Perhaps it could come from the comfortable, natural tenor of the hollers, catcalls and trash talk ... or from watching and listening to Joe Bugel, in all his bigger-than-life, blue-collar magnificence, as his charisma radiates across the grounds with equal or better impact than the 100 degree heat. Could be some amorphous, gestalty combination of all of the above.

And maybe, just maybe, you’ll catch yourself, subconsciously, thinking, “hey, now this is how an NFL practice is supposed to be run.”

It could happen, conceivably, come preseason ... when even though you know in your head that the team hasn’t game-planned anything, and that it isn’t concerned in the slightest with “winning” on the scoreboard, you still notice that even this early—this preposterously early, given the sea changes—the various units are getting on and off the field smoothly. That the players are lining up where they’re supposed to, as one; that the motion man is timing his break up field just so as the ball is snapped. That sideline decisions are being made timely, and translated with seemingly effortless efficiency to the field. And you may even hear your inner voice wryly noting, “man, that other team sure has a long way to go.”

You will definitely process these things, but in the heat of game battle, you probably won’t consciously think about them. Too soon. But “man, you know what?” some barely-audible voice in your head will whisper, “this is how a professional football team is supposed to look in preseason.”

It could happen, conceivably, in the season opener, when by the end of the first half—even as the team takes on a solid, veteran defense in the Buccaneers, and considering this is the first live game situation this particular team has seen—you have not once reacted to a play call by asking everyone in your immediate vicinity, “what the hell was that?!” Or that, win or lose, blowing out or being blown out, you aren’t walking back to your car after the game with the bitter taste in your mouth you used to get from knowing the other team didn’t really have to beat yours—yours didn’t really make them have to.

It could, quite possibly, come as mine did some twenty years ago, as you watch a Commanders game among fans of the opposition. You may find yourself at a friends’ house, or a crowded bar, and catch yourself noticing that one dude in the wrong-colored jersey across the room. You’ll watch him unconsciously shaking his head, slowly, back and forth—face a mask of utter disgust, as he watches his team seemingly unable to do anything right. You’ll know what he’s thinking—you’ll feel it ... and it will all seem so familiar ... so incredibly, distastefully, painfully familiar. “Oh sure,” you’ll hear him thinking, “the Commanders manage to save a crucial time out at the end of the half to get the field goal, why the hell can’t we? And what’s with the freakin’ false starts? And why, for chrissakes, can’t we stop that #&%$*!! counter trey?”

You’ll look away, a somehow familiar, silly little smile playing across your lips, as it all starts to make sense. You'll turn slowly back to the screen, and your beer will taste as good as you can ever remember. “Hey brother,” you’ll think with an amused, almost Olympian detachment, “ain’t no thing—that’s just the way the game is supposed to be played.”

Do be patient, though ... because it’s quite likely that your Moment won’t really come until sometime late in the next season or two, when enough data points have finally accumulated. When one Sunday afternoon or Monday Night in late November or December, when the team faces a national game with huge playoff implications, and, during the pregame shows, you notice that all the talking heads are expounding on what the other team has to do to “stop Washington.” And when they talk to the opposing head coach, that they’re spending the entire segment solemnly asking him what it’s like having to “prepare to play the Commanders.”

And when they say that word, for the first time in as long as you remember, you’ll actually be able to hear the capital “R.”

That's when you'll know.

Bottom line, my dear Threes ... it’s coming. And when it does, know that you will not be alone. We Older Ones will be right there with you—happy and jealous—wishing like hell we could glom onto just an echo of your Moment. We’ll be there with you when you smile that first quiet little smile, and come to Truly Know Something that the rest of the great less fortunate football world does not. And we’ll understand why you won’t need to say a word.

May you revel in your Moment, and use the lifelong power it confers upon you for good.

One last thing. When it does come—even as you inwardly laugh, cry and scream—you may find yourself, almost instinctively, carrying on outwardly rather like you’ve “been there” before. Don’t be surprised—that's simply how Commanders fans are supposed to act.

Hail.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So, when is this moment coming?

Funny or not given the truth of what has occurred there, Om can flat out write.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hostile;1765481 said:
So, when is this moment coming?

Funny or not given the truth of what has occurred there, Om can flat out write.

Yeah, I really do feel bad for true-blue Skins fans like Om.

What they didn't realize back in 2004, was that this was just another attempt by Snyder to sucker them all into buying into his game once again, this time under the guise of going back to "Redsk*n Roots."

In that thread I posted where Om and I were going back-and-forth, that was the point I was trying to make... that as long as Snyder is the corrupt soul behind the organization, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

And now, as a result of his marketing greed, not only has Snyder destroyed the Redsk*ns of today, he's tarnished the memory of the Original Gibbs Redsk*ns that guys like Om treasure so much.

It'd be a real shame if it was happening to any team other than the Skins.

adamknite

Reaction score
Danny White;1765235 said:
Who really knows if Gibbs will succeed or fail? None of us. But if you want me to give you a partisan, Cowboys answer Om, as you seemed to be seeking by posting your article here in the first place, then I will say that Gibbs will fail because of Dan Snyder and Snyders' bad organization, his bad values, and his misplaced priorities.

Very Prophetic. So did you ever get your beer? :laugh2:

superpunk

Reaction score
Magnificent.

I know also there has been posted on here an article from one of their moderators (Art, perhaps?) after the Commanders looked to be in cap hell, but then proceeded to shell out cash for Randle-El and Archuletta, and make phenomenal trades for Lloyd and Duckett.

That one is priceless, though maybe not as heart-wrenching as the hopes and dreams tied up in the Gibbsian Moment.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
adamknite;1765545 said:
Very Prophetic. So did you ever get your beer? :laugh2:

No. :(

Although I'd settle for a mere: "You were 100% right, Danny, and I was wrong." :p:

And in case you're wondering, "yes," I am that petty.

And "no," I'm never going to let it go. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Danny White;1765566 said:

Although I'd settle for a mere: "You were 100% right, Danny, and I was wrong." :p:

:laugh2:

I wouldn't either.

adamknite

Reaction score
Danny White;1765566 said:

I understand, I'd be just as petty.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I have a question after reading the thread about here on the zone.

What happened to LaTunaNostra? Was she just a parcells and glenn fan and doesnt come around anymore? Seems strange.

I only go to extremeskins once in a blue moon so I really dont know OM. I will give him credit for being a real fan though, I dont know how many skins fans can say that.

He at least is better than that art guy who says things like renaldo wynn is better than greg ellis.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;1765603 said:
I have a question after reading the thread about here on the zone.

What happened to LaTunaNostra? Was she just a parcells and glenn fan and doesnt come around anymore? Seems strange.

I only go to extremeskins once in a blue moon so I really dont know OM. I will give him credit for being a real fan though, I dont know how many skins fans can say that.

He at least is better than that art guy who says things like renaldo wynn is better than greg ellis.
LTN still drops in now and then. She was here a couple of weeks ago.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Very interesting read... The guy is a very good writer, just not much of a prognosticator.

Given the tone of that piece, he must be tearing his hair out in stunned disbelief at what Gibbs has not been able to accomplish.

kmd24

Reaction score
The Gibbsian Moment - Redux
By Mark "Om" Steven
November 11, 2007

There are three kinds of Commanders fans.

Group One already knows what this piece is about, just for having read the title.

Group Two—a group to which I suspect few will admit belonging—may experience a moment of retroactive clarity; recognition of something that has been there all along, but upon which they simply never have put a mental finger. I know—hard to imagine. But still.

Group Three—for and about whom this piece is ultimately written—are those either too young or too new to the Burgundy and Gold to have fully appreciated the Joe Gibbs Washington Commanders, Act I.

For going on four years now, those of us in Group One have been quietly waiting to awaken from the nightmare that began on January 7, 2004, slowly assimilating the concept that the circle really and truly has been closed, and wrapping our minds around the concept that, no, it is in fact not a dream—it’s real. Joe Gibbs Is Back, and all excruciating hell has broken loose.

We probably were a little insufferable about it—talking about 700 page playbooks, refusing to believe that the game has passed Gibbs by, absolving the team of all mistakes made in draft strategies, free agent signings, trades, front office dynamics, cap considerations and the like—and exuding an unmistakable “It has to get better” attitude. We’ll ask that you forgive us, but the truth is we have found it quite impossible to walk among our fellow man of late because we're out of touch with reality.

Why? Simple—because we had ours, back in the 80's. And we thought we knew something that no one else did.

So we just kind of lived with our admittedly insufferable selves, refusing to let anyone smack us back into the reality of 21st century NFL football...figuring that when they have, we’ll have to gather around the fire and tell ghost stories to try to minimize by comparison our fear that this team will never win anything that matters again. But no hook-handed prison escapee has anything on the horror that is the Gibbs II Commanders.

Well, that’s what I thought, anyway, until something occurred to me a couple of days ago.

With apologies for being the one to call this to your attention, fellow Ones, I’m afraid I have a bit of bad news. You know that whole thing about us having “had” ours? Well, turns out that’s a double-edged sword. Yes, we still have a couple more months to wallow in our usual hopeful desperation that Gibbs will right the ship and lead this team into the playoffs ... but ... the pain of losing is only heightened by our knowledge of what Gibbs did in seasons past. We can't let it go, but the others knew. All that stuff about not getting your hopes up? ... preparing for the worst? ... lowering your expectations? They haven’t been writing poetry and singing songs about shipwrecks since the dawn of Man for nothing, you know.

So I admit it—I’m jealous of the Twos and Threes who never had heightened expectations. More than that, I’m begrudging, covetous, esurient and invidious. Check the eyes ... green. So while the usually magnanimous, adult side of me is happy for them on an intellectual level, and while it’s true that I can’t wait until I can finally let go of the past and become a Gibbs doubter with the rest of them, the unvarnished truth is I’m also utterly incapable of having my very own Gibbsian Moment II.

So, as a self-appointed spokesman of the ought-to-be-dwindling Group Oners who wish to enjoy the Moment II and move on to a coach whose understanding of the game isn't stuck in 1986, and in the hopes of at least starting the process to some tiny degree, I intend to cut a couple of ties here. Hopefully, some day soon, when the rest of you Ones have seen the light—when you’ve recognized it, internalized it, analyzed and personalized it—you’ll think back to the day in the fall of 2007 that your long-winded colleague “called it” on behalf of those already where we need to go. Then we’ll all sit around, cry in our beer, and lament the wasted years.

Group One ought to be selling.

For most, achieving their Moment II will be a cumulative process; bits of data picked up here and there, until they reach critical mass one memorable day and introduce themselves as, say, Mr. Arrington once did Mr. Aikman. An attention-grabber, to be sure, but for the most part survivable. For others, it will simply rise up suddenly and come out of nowhere—a massive, epiphanous slap upside the metaphoric head. Now that should sound painful, so be careful if it should happen to you while driving or making love. Major crash and burn potential there, either way—to say nothing of the threat of sudden and unauthorized lane changes. Bad things, man.

And one hopes, for our sakes, there aren’t too many folks out there able to experience theirs only via a winless season—because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once a year or so. We’re going in that direction, sure enough, but you probably oughtn’t put all your ova in that one particular basket. If you’re the kind inclined to only see the light when it's scalding your corneas, I humbly submit for your consideration the sage old adage: if at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

So ... enough with the black-turtleneck-wearing, outside-the-coffee-shop-playing-a-lute-image-summoning, surreptitiously-ogling-all-the young-women philosophizing. What about the MOMENT II, already?

It could happen, conceivably, as early as week 12, assuming of course that we’re fortunate enough that we're not teased by playing competitively in games at Dallas and Tampa Bay. Not likely, mind you, because injuries might cloud your judgement, but if you’re there and watching closely—paying attention more to the football than to the exalted geezers on the sidelines—you may pick up some early sign. You won’t really know you’re having it just then, of course, but it could be a down-payment—one you look back at some point down the line, and realize, “yup, by dang, that’s when it started.”

It could come in something as subtle as taking notice of the manner in which the team carries itself, as they walk dejectedly back to the locker room after blowing yet another halftime lead... or the manner in which they continually throw the same screens and swings for short gains—as if everyone on the opposing defense knows precisely where they’re supposed to go, and what they’re supposed to do when they get there. Perhaps it could come from the girly, high-pitched squeals of the quarterback as he is thrown for yet antoher loss... or from watching and listening to Joe Bugel verbally beat Todd Wade like a rented mule because Wade allowed Marcus Spears to look like a Pro-Bowl defensive end. Could be some amorphous, gestalty combination of all of the above.

And maybe, just maybe, you’ll catch yourself, subconsciously, thinking, “hey, now this is how NFL offenses were run in the 80's.”

It could happen, conceivably, come postseason... when you realize that the team hasn’t truly been playoff-worthy in over 15 years, and that it isn’t concerned in the slightest with “winning," and that you are still hanging on to 2005—an improbable 5 game run to squeak into the playoffs and miraculous playoff win despite a historically low 120 yards of total offense—as a preposterous sign of progress. You watch the playoff teams challenge the entire field like they’re supposed to, the good teams push harder on the throttle despite their two-score leads, and the coaches take chances to win games to spite the fear of losing them, and you may even hear your inner voice wryly noting, “man, that other team sure could teach us a thing or two.”

You will definitely process these things, but in the lull of the early offseason that fans of also-rans experience, you probably won’t consciously think about them. Too soon. But “man, you know what?” some barely-audible voice in your head will whisper, “one measly and miraculous playoff appearance in four years. Is this the best Gibbs can offer?”

It could happen, conceivably, in the offseason, when by the third day of free agency—even as the team cuts Brandon Lloyd—the Commanders have offered three contracts and 5 draft picks for middling but "proven" restricted free agents to fill questionable voids, and you realize that all these guys have proven is that they'll never be great.

It could come in two weeks, when the Skins face a veteran team in the Buccaneers, and—considering that our playoff lives hang in the balance—you have not once reacted to a single play call without asking everyone in your immediate vicinity, “what the hell was that?!” Or that, win or lose, blowing out or being blown out, you are walking back to your car after the game with the bitter taste in your mouth you always get from knowing the other team didn’t really have to beat yours—yours didn’t really make them have to.

It could, quite possibly, come as mine did some twenty minutes ago, as you watch a Commanders game among your fellow fans. You may find yourself at a friends’ house, or a crowded bar, and catch yourself noticing that one dude in the Santana Moss jersey across the room. You’ll watch him unconsciously shaking his head, slowly, back and forth—face a mask of utter disgust, as he watches his team seemingly unable to do anything right. You’ll know what he’s thinking—you’ll feel it ... and it will all seem so familiar ... so incredibly, distastefully, painfully familiar. “Oh sure,” you’ll hear him thinking, “why would we save a crucial time out for the end of the half to get the field goal? And what’s with all the freakin’ screen passes? And why, for chrissakes, didn't we cover Westbrook on the screen?”

You’ll look away, a somehow familiar, grim frown playing across your tightened lips, as it all starts to make sense. You'll turn slowly back to the screen, and your beer will taste as bitter as you can ever remember. “Hey brother,” you’ll think with an amused, almost Sisyphean detachment, “ain’t no thing—that’s just the way the Gibbs lets games slip away.”

Do be patient, though ... because it’s quite likely that your Moment II won’t really come until sometime late in the next season, when enough data points have finally accumulated, and Gibbs is too tired to continue the farce. When one Sunday afternoon or Monday Night in late November or December, when the team plays a regional game without playoff implications, and, during the pregame shows, you notice that all the talking heads are expounding on what the Cowboys, Patriots, and Colts have to do to go undefeated. And when they talk to the opposing head coach, that they’re spending the entire segment looking past the Skins and asking about games in the upcoming weeks.

And when the Skins are barely mentioned, for the first time in as long as you remember, the silence will sound like thunder.

That's when you'll know.

Bottom line, my dear Ones ... it’s coming. And when it does, know that you will not be alone. The other Ones will be right there with you—defeated and mournful—wishing like hell that Joe had just stayed retired, saved us from four years of spinning our wheels, and kept his legacy intact. We’ll be there with you when you gasp for breath during that first desparate sob, and come to Truly Know Something that the rest of the rational football world already knew. And we’ll understand why the agony will leave you speechless.

May you survive your Moment II, and remember its rueful lesson the rest of your life.

One last thing. When it does come—even as you inwardly wail, cry and scream—you may find yourself, almost instinctively, continuing to carry on with false bravado. Don’t be surprised—that's simply how Commanders fans are supposed to act.

Hell.

superpunk

Reaction score
kmd24;1765830 said:
It could happen, conceivably, come postseason... when you realize that the team hasn’t truly been playoff-worthy in over 15 years, and that it isn’t concerned in the slightest with “winning," and that you are still hanging on to 2005—an improbable 5 game run to squeak into the playoffs and miraculous playoff win despite a historically low 120 yards of total offense—as a preposterous sign of progress. You watch the playoff teams challenge the entire field like they’re supposed to, the good teams push harder on the throttle despite their two-score leads, and the coaches take chances to win games to spite the fear of losing them, and you may even hear your inner voice wryly noting, “man, that other team sure could teach us a thing or two.”......

You’ll look away, a somehow familiar, grim frown playing across your tightened lips, as it all starts to make sense. You'll turn slowly back to the screen, and your beer will taste as bitter as you can ever remember. “Hey brother,” you’ll think with an amused, almost Sisyphean detachment, “ain’t no thing—that’s just the way the Gibbs lets games slip away.”

Absolute brilliance. The best read I've had all month. Take the time to sit down with this one, fellas.

:bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kmd, that was poetry.

Post of the day.

I hope others take the time to read it all.

Hell indeed.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Great work kmd.

I laughed so hard, I nearly wet myself. Ok, no I didn't but it was still hilarious as heck.

Someone that doesn't mind being banned needs to post this over on ES.

Jay-D

Reaction score
So who's got the over/under on what quarter Om commits suicide this Sunday?

I'm thinking 4th quarter.....because apparantly the guy likes to suffer.