In the history of the NFL there has only been one Shut Down Corner!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
After reading all the post and thinking about the definition of Shut down, I have changed my opinion.

Deion, to me, was the best cover corner of all time by quite a bit, but he was not a true shut down corner. There has never been a true shut down corner in the NFL, but Deion was the closest!
By definition shut down means to close up, come to a halt, terminate, to stop, to cease all activity!

Deion was the best cover corner ever, but he was not a shut down corner!
Agree or disagree?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It seems sort of silly to define a type of player and then say it never existed. What's the point of the term if it never exists?

You might as well talk about a unicorn sandwich.
I didn’t define shut down. I should have. Words matter. Now that shut down has been defined. What is your opinion?

You make a great point. What is the point of using the term, shut down corner, if one has never existed?

To be more accurate we should say, who has come the closest to being a shut down corner, or better yet, who was the best cover corner. Like I said, words matter. When we use words that are not clear or accurate our communication suffers.

erod

Reaction score
What amazed me about Deion is how he looked like he was playing with children.

He could high-step and run sideways faster than anyone else could run in a straight line. He was as fast as he needed to be. Tyreek Hill couldn't catch the guy.

starfan1

Reaction score

He could high-step and run sideways faster than anyone else could run in a straight line. He was as fast as he needed to be. Tyreek Hill couldn't catch the guy.
yep if only he could tackle. But as he said it was a business decision.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Deion was the best corner ever to play the game imo and is my favorite player ever

but Darrell green was shutdown as well......
So was Rod woodson

and Mel Blount literally has a rule named after him just so they could open the passing game up

Irvin and Green had some great battles with Irvin winning way more than he lost. Woodson too, someone shoulda taught that boy how to tackle.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The term "shutdown cornerback" tends to get thrown around loosely, but when it comes down to it there aren’t many corners you can leave on an island against some of the top WRs today because the rules have made it more difficult for a corner to take out a teams best receiver. All the rules have been bent to open up the passing game. Deion in his prime is the one corner that could still do it today despite the rule changes.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
yep if only he could tackle. But as he said it was a business decision.

He actually could. He was known as a big hitter for a corner in college.

In the NFL, he started making business decisions, but when he needed to tackle in important moments, he got guys to the ground. He didn't like taking on pulling guards and fullbacks.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion was the best corner ever to play the game imo and is my favorite player ever

So was Rod woodson

and Mel Blount literally has a rule named after him just so they could open the passing game up
I liked watching Deon, but your picks are hard to beat.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

It was like me in 7th grade football. My 20 something coach, could back pedal about as fast as I could run forward. That was humiliating.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Mike Haynes (played for the Pats and the the 80's Raiders)

Smoothest CB I ever saw...................

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep

He was a freak athlete . Only one of what 3 in modern era to play multiple professional sports. Deion, Bo and Jordan. That’s quite an elite list.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't forget Danny Ainge.
I forgot. He played with the Blue Jays while he was still at Brigham Young playing basketball.

Im curious how he was able to do that. Bring a pro in one League while still Amateur in another.

Last edited:

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. 40 years ago and back, there were CBs receivers feared to go against. Those guys would flat lay you out before you had a chance to catch the ball. They weren't as gifted athletically Sanders and probably wouldn't have thrived in the 90s and later. Then again, Sanders style wouldn't have thrived back then against WRs that had to be as tough as their counterparts.

erod

Reaction score
7'7" Sean Bradley played baseball in college and batted over .400. 1st base.

But Ainge did it professionally for the Blue Jays and Celtics.

It is amazing that anyone could hit .400 at any level when their strike zone is 6 feet tall.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

So was Rod woodson

Blount was the best. Guy could play today and be the best.