In their Prime. Ken Griffey Jr or Mike Trout

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Who you got? Both were or are the best ball players of their eras. Both are five tool players. Hells bells, these guys are 10 tool players with what they bring to the field. They can play any position in the outfield and win a gold glove. They hit for power and average.

I think I go with Ken Griffey Jr. Who you got?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No doubt that Trout has surpassed Griffey in some stats through 1000 games. I only said Ken because he was fun to watch and more fluid in the outfield and at the plate. He would have put up some real nasty numbers if he didn’t have injury problems.

Trout will finish ahead of Jr in the end though if he is not already. I just think that Griffey had a higher ceiling cut short :thumbdown:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Gotta go with Griffey just based on success.
Trout is absurd but the winning Griff did is a difference maker for me.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Griffey is my all time favorite.

Trout is great, but he's got a ways to go to reach Griffey status.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Gotta go with Griffey just based on success.
Trout is absurd but the winning Griff did is a difference maker for me.

What winning are you referring to? Griffey had a fantastic first post season series hitting 5 home runs in 5 games in 1995 against the Yankees in the ALDS. He only got the opportunity to play in 3 more playoff series after that (95 ALCS, 97 ALDS, 2008 ALDS) and didn't do that well in those. Mike Trout has only been in one post season series and he was a non-factor. Neither guy is really associated with winning.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What winning are you referring to? Griffey had a fantastic first post season series hitting 5 home runs in 5 games in 1995 against the Yankees in the ALDS. He only got the opportunity to play in 3 more playoff series after that (95 ALCS, 97 ALDS, 2008 ALDS) and didn't do that well in those. Mike Trout has only been in one post season series and he was a non-factor. Neither guy is really associated with winning.
It certainly felt like Griff and the Ms had more success in that era but perhaps that is because they were a pennant contender for 4 years running in that mid to late 90s (to me as a Rangers fan). Won 2 pennants and finished 2 then 4.5 games back.

My perception of Trout has been how in the world can the Angels not win with that dude and 500m worth of others guys...

It is worth noting the playoffs back then were a much bigger deal because there were so few spots to be had. 8 teams and done.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trout is better and it’s not remotely close.

ETA: health is a concern for Trout and may limit his career value. But in their prime? Trout without doubt.

joseephuss

Reaction score
A healthy Josh Hamilton

How often was Hamilton fully healthy? It is a shame he didn't have a full a career as he could have had. He was 26 when he finally debuted in MLB. Mike Trout will turn 28 this season and has been playing since he was 19. Girffey also began his MLB at age 19.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
This is like being given a choice of having a million dollars in gold or silver. It all depends on which shine you prefer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One thing we know about Griffey is that he played against a bunch of cheaters who took performance enhancing. Played against juiced balls. I'd give Griffey the nod on that alone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Griffey was better in his Prime. Trout has not played half the seasons Griffey did so his book hasn't completely been written yet. Having said this, there are two sides of the game and with Trout, he is not as strong a defensive player as Griffey was. I'd go with Jr.

bb721

Reaction score
One thing we know about Griffey is that he played against a bunch of cheaters who took performance enhancing. Played against juiced balls. I'd give Griffey the nod on that alone.

Doesn’t that also mean that Griffey was hitting home runs with juiced balls?