In your opinion What are the best RBs of all time

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
yazzmode621 said:
How can Barry Sanders not be in your top 10? When he retired at age 30, he was only around 1500 yards from the all-time rushing record. He would've easily been the all time leading rusher if he wouldnt retire so early.
Because I do not care for RBs who leave their team 2nd & long, and 3rd & long so often.

He was electrifying, but he also was the epitome of an over hyped player. There is a reason why he never won anything. He handicapped his team too much. If he had been willing to run up the middle, I'd have called him one of the best if not the best ever.

Like I said, it won't be a popular opinion, but it is mine and I won't apologize for it. Give me a John Riggins, Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen type of RB with courage to go for the hard yard any day over a selfish, flashy player whose team was immediately better after he left.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Marshall Faulk
5. Earl Campbell
6. Tony Dorsett
7. OJ Simpson
8. Gale Sayers
9. Eric Dickerson
10. Bo Jackson

Rich...........
Wow! no BS... I mean Barry Sanders. that's a first.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thescarface1989 said:
Yes I have that game too, along with the one he gets his jersey torn off.

Too bad he was playing for the Oilers. God I hated that team, but I always respected the ability of the Tyler Rose

thescarface1989

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Too bad he was playing for the Oilers. God I hated that team, but I always respected the ability of the Tyler Rose

Yes, after the 81 yard td he had on he just stood in the endzone completly worn out, man, he gave it all he had and just sacrificed his body for that team.

yazzmode621

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Because I do not care for RBs who leave their team 2nd & long, and 3rd & long so often.

He was electrifying, but he also was the epitome of an over hyped player. There is a reason why he never won anything. He handicapped his team too much. If he had been willing to run up the middle, I'd have called him one of the best if not the best ever.

Like I said, it won't be a popular opinion, but it is mine and I won't apologize for it. Give me a John Riggins, Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen type of RB with courage to go for the hard yard any day over a selfish, flashy player whose team was immediately better after he left.

The Lions always seemed to be in playoff contention and that was only because of Sanders. The rest of the team sucked. You seem to like the big bruiser backs. Personally, I prefer the small, quicker backs. But to say that Sanders hindered his team is ridiculous. He is the only reason people watched the Lions. Also his team was not immediately better after he left. They have sucked *** ever since.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thescarface1989 said:
Yes, after the 81 yard td he had on he just stood in the endzone completly worn out, man, he gave it all he had and just sacrificed his body for that team.

Well Houston only had 3 plays. Earl to the right, Earl to the left and Earl up the middle.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Barry is the most overrated player I've ever seen. In the end, it's hard to ignore his numbers, so he should be HOF worthy. However, he wasn't nearly as good as advertised. His O-Line wasn't as bad as claimed (2 Pro Bowlers in Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown) and he had Herman Moore (had 333 catches in a 3 year span). He's the all time leader in carries for a loss, not because his O-Line stunk, but because he wouldn't run to where the play was designed. Leaving your team with 2nd and 3rd and long kills the offense. Plus, he was a terrible pass blocker.

1. Jim Brown

People often talk about some new RB being the "next Jim Brown." For that to happen, the tailback would have to be about 290 pounds and run about a 4.3 forty time. Then he'd have to be nearly impossible to tackle and dominate games. He wasn't much of a pass blocker either, but back then teams predominantly ran the ball and the game revolved around the running game.

2. Walter Payton

Super athlete and a superb tailback. Best blocking tailback I ever saw. Probably wasn't the receiver that Emmitt was, but didn't have anybody throwing him the ball either.

3. Emmitt Smith

The man, enough said.

4. Marshall Faulk

Vastly underrated. A great pure tailback that could line up out wide like a wide receiver. Caused major mismatches in the offenses favor. Just a great, great tailback.

5. Earl Campbell

He gets a lot of popularity for his jaw dropping runs. Not much of a pass blocker or receiver. I don't have a problem with him getting an HOF vote, but if he does then Terrell Davis should as well. Davis' numbers are actually better than Earl's.

6. Tony Dorsett

Could make for the best College & NFL RB of all time. It's either him or Brown. Better receiving threat than given acknowledgement for.

7. OJ Simpson
8. Gale Sayers

I've only seen highlights. Can't deny their numbers and production.

9. Eric Dickerson

The Rams O-Line was better than people give it credit for and I never liked his high running style which led to a lot of fumbles. But, tough to deny his production.

10. Bo Jackson

Just based on pure ability. Pretty amazing that a guy can do so little practicing and just hop into a game and put up huge numbers.

There's others like Thurman Thomas, Franco Harris, Terrell Davis, etc. that I would put ahead of Barry as well.

Rich..........

thescarface1989

Reaction score
Very true about Tony Dorsett, he was very underrated on catching, In a game aginst Baltimore on MNF he caught 10 yard pass and ended up turning it into a 91 yard touchdown, very big receiving threat.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith
Walter Payton
Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Earl Campbell
Gayle Sayers
Eric Dickerson
Tony Dorsett

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
yazzmode621 said:
Haters. :bang2:

no truth tellers, again, a guy that led the league in carries for a loss, and refused to run up the middle, and was never on the field when the ball was inside the 10 yard line, can not be put in with the greatest RB's of all time

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
yazzmode621 said:
The Lions always seemed to be in playoff contention and that was only because of Sanders. The rest of the team sucked. You seem to like the big bruiser backs. Personally, I prefer the small, quicker backs. But to say that Sanders hindered his team is ridiculous. He is the only reason people watched the Lions. Also his team was not immediately better after he left. They have sucked *** ever since.
Once again I say, it won't be a popular opinion. You'd have to understand the game of football to know why 2nd & long as well as 3rd & long was a handicap. If you can't grasp that, fine.

His team wasn't better? Then how come they won more games the year he left?

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
yazzmode621 said:

The rest of that team did not suck. They had one of the best recieving cores of the era in Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, and Johnny Morton, they had 3 good OL in Lomas Brown, Bill Fralic, and Kevin Glover even though people always like to pretend they had none, and they had some good defensive personel such as Chris Spielman, Robert Porcher, Bennie Blades, and for a shorter period of time Pat Swilling.

I'm not trying to say the team was wonderfully loaded but they did have talent other than Barry Sanders, and many of them were Pro Bowl calibre.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Jim Brown was so far ahead of his time, he was truly a man among boys. No one has ever done the things he did on a football field so far ahead of his peers.

Was just simply the greatest back to ever walk on a football field by far.

yazzmode621

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
no truth tellers, again, a guy that led the league in carries for a loss, and refused to run up the middle, and was never on the field when the ball was inside the 10 yard line, can not be put in with the greatest RB's of all time

He may have led the league in carries for loss but he also had a 2000 yard season, and is 3rd(should've been first) on the all time rushing list.

superpunk

Reaction score
yazzmode621 said:
He may have led the league in carries for loss but he also had a 2000 yard season, and is 3rd(should've been first) on the all time rushing list.

Plus, he never played for the Cowboys!!!!

Drinks all around!