In your opinon, what are the chances...?

Frozen700

Reaction score
What are the chances in your opinon, that we draft, or sign a free agent CB....and move henry to FS

i know there was talk last off season, that jerry was thinking it, but do you all think there might be a slight chance we may see Henry at FS??

i'll tell you this, last season when we played the Lions, and we had Henry at Safety for a few plays, man he was a ball hawk out there, and looked so natural out there.

what do you guys think?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
0%.

We need him. He is our 2nd best CB.

As it currently stands, we need at least 1 more CB on this roster. Ideally, we'd add 2.

By moving Henry to FS, you just added another open slot at CB....

fortdick

Reaction score
If our plan was to move Hamlin to SS, then it is possible, but otherwise, no. I think Roy will have another year to show that this season was just a down year. If he is the liability next year he was this year, then he will need replacing. But until then, we need Hanlin as FS to pick up the slack Roy leaves in his wake.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see the possibility, however remote of seeing Henry at FS but I'd be more inclined to see him as part of a nickel or dime package first in somewhat of a tweener role.

I can see the team signing a free agent CB (Springs is my pick if/when he gets cut) and drafting one with one of their first round picks.

They could then have the option of moving Henry or the free agent to a nickel role and have a combination of Newman, Henry, the FA, Hamlin, and Watkins.

The rookie could be brought along slowly and the team could evaluate Henry or Watkins as the future FS and move Hamlin to the SS position in 2009.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I vote zero as well. That move would represent way to much cap tied up in safeties. You would then have to go out and spend like money to get two more capable CBs. Would be suicide on our Cap, IMO.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see Henry have a shot a Saftey......is seems to slow (one step) to excel at cb.......Go Cowboys

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Terence Newman700;1930076 said:
What are the chances in your opinon, that we draft, or sign a free agent CB....and move henry to FS
0.00%

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I see it as 0% chance unless for sure we draft a top corner AND sign either Trufant or Samuel. That is the only way I see them moving Henry to FS and then moving Hamlin to SS (As I've seen reported he can play both FS and SS).

Unless those happen i can not see Henry being moved to FS.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Terence Newman700;1930076 said:

i know there was talk last off season, that jerry was thinking it, but do you all think there might be a slight chance we may see Henry at FS??

i'll tell you this, last season when we played the Lions, and we had Henry at Safety for a few plays, man he was a ball hawk out there, and looked so natural out there.

what do you guys think?
I'd put the over/under at 3% chance of it happening and I'd take the under.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1930167 said:
I vote zero as well. That move would represent way to much cap tied up in safeties. You would then have to go out and spend like money to get two more capable CBs. Would be suicide on our Cap, IMO.

It would cost the same as retaining Hamlin.

Henry, Roy, Newman & Sign a vet. - Gay or Springs (if released)
Draft CB early

vs.

Hamlin, Roy, Newman & Henry
Draft CB early

Kilyin

Reaction score
About the same as the chances of Wade Phillips building a rocket ship made out of Lombardi trophies..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
numnuts23;1930243 said:
It would cost the same as retaining Hamlin.

Henry, Roy, Newman & Sign a vet. - Gay or Springs (if released)
Draft CB early

vs.

Hamlin, Roy, Newman & Henry
Draft CB early

I don't think so. The team has indicated that the signing of Hamlin is a priority for them. If this is true, then you would have three very highly paid Safeties on the roster (assuming a move of Henry to safety). You then have to go out and find two very good CBs to compensate for existing needs and Henry's loss. CB is typically a more expensive position to sign then is Safety. Why would you move a big CB salary and saddle yourself with the task of not only finding the talent to back fill but also incurring the additional expense?

Zero chance IMO.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1930266 said:
I don't think so. The team has indicated that the signing of Hamlin is a priority for them. If this is true, then you would have three very highly paid Safeties on the roster (assuming a move of Henry to safety). You then have to go out and find two very good CBs to compensate for existing needs and Henry's loss. CB is typically a more expensive position to sign then is Safety. Why would you move a big CB salary and saddle yourself with the task of not only finding the talent to back fill but also incurring the additional expense?

Zero chance IMO.

If you resign Hamlin, then Henry doesn't get moved. What I was saying is if you moved Henry to FS, then Hamlin doesn't get resigned. Either way, you'd still have to sign a vet. (Springs, Gay) to replace Reeves, and more than likely draft a CB early on.

In the end, both ways would probably cost close to the same Cap wise.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
numnuts23;1930277 said:
If you resign Hamlin, then Henry doesn't get moved. What I was saying is if you moved Henry to FS, then Hamlin doesn't get resigned. Either way, you'd still have to sign a vet. (Springs, Gay) to replace Reeves, and more than likely draft a CB early on.

In the end, both ways would probably cost close to the same Cap wise.

The original poster made no mention of not signing Hamlin. To me, that's something that the team is going to do regardless. However, if we are not going to sign Hamlin, then I still think it is a bad move. If you don't sign Hamlin and you move Henry, then you still have to find two quality CBs and then you have to pay them. It would much easier to find a good FS IMO, then two good CBs. Probably less expensive as well. Henry's contract is the fly in the ointment IMO. I just don't see us being able to do much there unless it's restructured. I don't think Hamlin will be signed for the kind of money Henry was. JMO.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I never knew, Bum Phillips can't full construct a sentence. No wonder Phillips can't win in the playoffs.

Sandyf

Reaction score
First, we are going to resign Hamlin and won't be surprised to see it happen the week after the Super Bowl.

As to moving Henry to free safety, never say never. If anyone has been watching the DCW on Fox every week, there have been several reporters including Mick that have reported to be "not surprised to see Henry at safety next year". When asked to elaborate on to which position at safety, they just smiled.

Will he move? I think it is only 50-50 IMO. But it wouldn't be out to the realm to see something happen with Roy Williams SS. He has lost his confidence and is definitely thinking way to much instead of playing. Maybe getting Campo back would help him but I would rather see Henry and Hamlin as the safeties at this point and pick up a CB in FA and one in the 1st round of the draft.

superpunk

Reaction score
0%, to -80%.

Henry could not play FS. He can't stay healthy playing corner. Why does anyone think moving him to a position where collisions are much more violent and prevalent is a good idea? FS isn't all about covering TEs and helping on deep passes.

Why do we continue to ponder this stupid question every offseason?

benny112980

Reaction score
Look, bottom line is Henry was leading the league in interceptions when he got hurt this season. You can't just snap your fingers and replace that production at corner. And who's to say that Hamlin will be as good at Strong Safety as he is at Free Safety? I think the Cowboys should and will keep Henry at corner, sign either Florence, Gay or Springs to play corner and give Roy another year to prove this year was a fluke. They will also draft 2 corners and hope that 1 becomes a starter.

heir

Reaction score
I really don't think Henry can tackle well enough to play safety to be honest.