Indy 500

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Is anyone planning on watching it tomorrow? It lost most of it's prestige when Cart and IRL split and the 500 was an IRL only race. I think it's on it's way back but it will never go back to being the premier race it once was.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Is anyone planning on watching it tomorrow? It lost most of it's prestige when Cart and IRL split and the 500 was an IRL only race. I think it's on it's way back but it will never go back to being the premier race it once was.

Nope. Just the Coca-cola 600 for me. When half the field doesn't speak English, (Ward Burton doesn't count) It really doesn't interest me.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Nope. Just the Coca-cola 600 for me. When half the field doesn't speak English, (Ward Burton doesn't count) It really doesn't interest me.
No kidding on Ward Burton. I have a bad southern accent and I can't understand him or Hermie Sadler either lol

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
No kidding on Ward Burton. I have a bad southern accent and I can't understand him or Hermie Sadler either lol

Yeah, I forgot about Hermie as well.. They talk like they got a mouth full mashed potatoes or something. Kinda shocking to believe that Ward and Jeff Burton come from the same gene pool. :eek:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Yeah, I forgot about Hermie as well.. They talk like they got a mouth full mashed potatoes or something. Kinda shocking to believe that Ward and Jeff Burton come from the same gene pool. :eek:
No kidding :lmao:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
The Indy 500 certainly did lose some luster after the split.

It was probably my favorite sporting event to watch (unless Dallas was in the Super Bowl) for several years.

Being from New Mexico, I loved the Unsers ... all of them ... and enjoyed the rivalries with great drivers such as Rick Mears, the Andrettis, Foyt, Sneva, etc.

It just hasn't been the same since the split and with the retirement of so many of the American drivers who were icons. You just can't replace guys like that.

I still love Indycar racing, but it's just not the same anymore.

I'll watch the race today and hope that some of these young drivers can capture my attention.

I will say that all the hoopla around Dannica Patrick is interesting.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I will say that all the hoopla around Dannica Patrick is interesting.

It has a lot to do with her looks because Sara Fisher was in the Indy 500 the last few years and didn't get as much attention. They just said on tv that the Borg Warner trophy is taller and weighs more than she does lol

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
It has a lot to do with her looks because Sara Fisher was in the Indy 500 the last few years and didn't get as much attention. They just said on tv that the Borg Warner trophy is taller and weighs more than she does lol

I agree.

But Danica has a better car and a better chance of winning, so they say.

I'm disappointed that Paul Page isn't on the telecast. He is the voice of Indycar racing ... he belongs there.

Ticks me off that ABC has Brent Musberger there. Just go away, Brent. This isn't your sport.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chief said:
I agree.

But Danica has a better car and a better chance of winning, so they say.

I'm disappointed that Paul Page isn't on the telecast. He is the voice of Indycar racing ... he belongs there.

Ticks me off that ABC has Brent Musberger there. Just go away, Brent. This isn't your sport.
Well at least the doofus from 90120 isn't there this year :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what do you guys think about the guy, Rob Gordon saying he won't race in any of the races she drives in. He said she has an unfair advantage cuz she only weighs 100 lbs compared to the other men.

I don't watch car racing in general, I just happen to read that article and thought his comments were interesting.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
So what do you guys think about the guy, Rob Gordon saying he won't race in any of the races she drives in. He said she has an unfair advantage cuz she only weighs 100 lbs compared to the other men.

I don't watch car racing in general, I just happen to read that article and thought his comments were interesting.
He's always whinning about something. She doesn't have an unfair advantage because she still has to get in the car and drive it.

He probably didn't have a ride and needed an excuse.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

This is kind of debate and controversy is good for the sport.

Fifteen years ago, Robby Gordon was a young hell-raiser who used to drive the older drivers crazy because he took so many chances.

He's still stirring it up.

That's like saying Shaq has an unfair advantage in the NBA because he's 7-1.

Weight is an issue and that's why most of these Indycar drivers are small. They have to fit into a tiny cockpit and 100 pounds does make a difference in the handling of the car and the amount of fuel used.

My advice to Robby is to lose some weight. :)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
AWESOME job by Danica to finish 4th. Weldon just had too much car.

She did a great job. Male or female, that was an awesome performance by a rookie in the big race. She is just what this sport needs.

Apparently, they had to cut her fuel back in the last five laps so she would have enough to finish.

Weldon's win was somewhat overshadowed by Danica's performance. He is an outstanding driver, too.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Have you seen her FHM spread? Not a bad looking lady.

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/danica.htm

danica206.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The lady proved herself of being more than just a pretty face, she is a heck of a race car driver. Congratulation girl you earned my respect!