Injectin a little reality

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
…. into this "Quinn" business.

First: This is ET part 2

Second: We backed off ET part 1 because we knew last spring what it would take to keep him here

Third: Quinn has already been in for a visit and we know what it will cost to keep him here

Fourth: The Seahawks were not all that motivated to trade ET or they would have lowered their draft requirements

Fifth: The Fins will operate the same way in a trade. May accept a 4'th round 2020 pick and a plate of Taco's, probably not. Remember "the player" is still under contract the same as ET was, and that Taco we keep wanting to trade hasn't come with anything other than the shell

Sixth: This will become the next long ET thread with Quinn replacing ET

Seventh: I'm as skeptical about this deal going down as I was the ET deal

You read it here first

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The truth is we do not know if it is the Saints asking price for Quinn or if its the Cowboys contract offer to Quinn that is holding this up. But I guess its fun to speculate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
qGhiEIe.gif

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Oh and...

Eight: we have our own in house extensions that need tending to including Lawrence, Cooper, Prescott and Elliott. Fit the budget around that!

Nine: Forget a one year deal with Quinn, he has a one year deal already, with the Fins and it's called the last year of his contract

Ten: add your own :)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The truth is we do not know if it is the Saints asking price for Quinn or if its the Cowboys contract offer to Quinn that is holding this up. But I guess its fun to speculate.

I assume you mean the Fins asking price as in "what they may have to eat in Quinn's last year" and "what draft prospects they can glean". They need a first round QB so will they hold out for a first round pick in the 2020 draft? It's a weak QB class in 2019.

You're right, it is fun to play owner/GM for a month or two :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How doers it work Mr Stash? :)

The Cowboys have to negotiate on two fronts here:

1. With Miami, over draft pick compensation, and which team picks up how much of Quinn's 2019 salary
  2. With Quinn and his agent over what will likely be some form of an extension
If Dallas is giving up anything resembling value in a draft pick, they're going to be looking for an extension. And Quinn will be looking for some form of security.

Negotiations can be tricky enough between two parties, but when they involve three, they become even more challenging.

But trying to connect the dots with "ET" is a waste of time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
D-Law is holding up a lot. Or JJ low offer is holding it up. Either way it’s getting in the way of making the cap room work and signing talent along the line and our own we want to extend that’s gonna take a lot of money. Hard to commit to signing these guys when a big contract is looming. All he could do is take the max number he can offer out of the pile of money and continue. If he signs it then great other wise we trade him or he sits a year and misses out on 20 million. And also I think him refusing to get surgery on his shoulder is in poor taste.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The Cowboys have to negotiate on two fronts here:

1. With Miami, over draft pick compensation, and which team picks up how much of Quinn's 2019 salary
  2. With Quinn and his agent over what will likely be some form of an extension
If Dallas is giving up anything resembling value in a draft pick, they're going to be looking for an extension. And Quinn will be looking for some form of security.

Negotiations can be tricky enough between two parties, but when they involve three, they become even more challenging.

But trying to connect the dots with "ET" is a waste of time.

Lol, yeah I knew some would hate that "connect the dots with ET" bit. You know why that is Stash? Because the dots never connected and we want the dots to connect ;)

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
As if you people think Jerry will actually do something that benefits the team over his own ego and ambitions. Geez.......

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
D-Law is holding up a lot. Or JJ low offer is holding it up. Either way it’s getting in the way of making the cap room work and signing talent along the line and our own we want to extend that’s gonna take a lot of money. Hard to commit to signing these guys when a big contract is looming. All he could do is take the max number he can offer out of the pile of money and continue. If he signs it then great other wise we trade him or he sits a year and misses out on 20 million. And also I think him refusing to get surgery on his shoulder is in poor taste.

Not just Lawrence holding this up. Fit the budget around Tank and Cooper and Prescott and Zeke. If they can crunch the numbers it could happen. They already know the budget for Tank, Cooper, Prescott and Zeke. It's already in the budget plans. That's the meat, Quinn is the potatoes and gravy. Maybe we don't need gravy :)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
As if you people think Jerry will actually do something that benefits the team over his own ego and ambitions. Geez.......

Winning a SB will do more for Jerry's ego than another billion dollars of "worth". If you doubt that, all you have to do is watch the video of Jerry and Barry wrestling over the SB XXX trophy, Jerry is desperate to prove the other SB wins under his ownership weren't mainly due to Jimmy's input. That's what drives him, sure he likes money, but he's got tons of that, what he doesn't have is a SB win without Jimmy Johnson present, or "Jimmy's team" on the field....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, yeah I knew some would hate that "connect the dots with ET" bit. You know why that is Stash? Because the dots never connected and we want the dots to connect ;)

So was that your goal here? To somehow try to make this about Earl Thomas when it isn't? Or to try to give people some sort of a "told ya so" disguised as a conversation about Quinn?

I'm not sure what you're going for here?
:huh:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You know, I write a budget plan every year. Take it to my banker, he approves or says crunch the numbers some more, ultimately approves our operating loan. Same deal, every year! The thing is I know our costs of putting in a crop, looking after it, harvesting, drying and storage. I have some control over what we get for our product too. It's called futures contracts and negotiation with our Japanese soybean buyers. What I don't know is the cost of fuel or the cost of propane to dry the harvested crop. We're a big enough operation that we can do deals with our input suppliers. Already done, in the budget.

Trust me, the FO knows what the budget is for Tank, Cooper, Prescott and Zeke going forward. There is a little wiggle room with a few re-negotiated contracts and the banker is the NFL and salary cap. I have a cap too

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Winning a SB will do more for Jerry's ego than another billion dollars of "worth". If you doubt that, all you have to do is watch the video of Jerry and Barry wrestling over the SB XXX trophy, Jerry is desperate to prove the other SB wins under his ownership weren't mainly due to Jimmy's input. That's what drives him, sure he likes money, but he's got tons of that, what he doesn't have is a SB win without Jimmy Johnson present, or "Jimmy's team" on the field....

He's desperate? Not buying that one. If he was so desperate he would bring in the right people (GM, HC, etc) to actually have a chance at reaching that goal.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So was that your goal here? To somehow try to make this about Earl Thomas when it isn't? Or to try to give people some sort of a "told ya so" disguised as a conversation about Quinn?

I'm not sure what you're going for here?
:huh:

Hasn't the ET experience proven anything to you Stash. You say the dots can't be connected, I say the dots have already been connected. I say the disappointment over the ET dot connection will probably become the next great disappointment with the Quinn dots. And yes, "I told ya so" om ET. I'm just tryin to protect your feellings on this one Stash. I tried with ET:muttley:. Mostly the wife says I just like being right lol. Ok, the ET boat has floated so I'll avoid that reminder