Innovation on offense

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Had to pick a thread but might as well put it here...

David Moore and Robert Wilsonsky were talking on their Intentional Grounding show on the Ticket tonight about Garrett's influence on Kellen Moore. For those who don't know, Wilonsky isn't really a sports guy by trade, but they do a very good show every Wednesday night. (It's Tuesday next week due to a Stars game.)

Anyway, Wilsonsky is the cynical, pessimistic Cowboys fan. He asked Moore how the dynamic between Jason and Kellen really works. Moore is as close to the team as any media person so he should have a good idea.

Moore said Jason doesn't get involved much -- if ever -- with individual play calls on Sundays. But he said Jason has a very heavy hand earlier in the week when game planning. Moore said that's only natural when you have a young coach who's never called plays before and a veteran offensive coach. Said Kellen naturally defers to his head coach -- he said even Baker Mayfield would probably defer to a more experienced coach -- and there was no way Jason was going to turn everything over to a rookie playcaller when his job is on the line.

Also said Jason won't insist on individual play calls but will want to know what Kellen is seeing and thinking. Interestingly, Moore gave a couple of examples, and both were of Jason pulling back the reins on Kellen's aggressiveness.

For the record, Moore is what I'd call a Garrett supporter, though he is old-school- journalist-fair enough that he isn't blatant about it and does present both sides.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score

David Moore and Robert Wilsonsky were talking on their Intentional Grounding show on the Ticket tonight about Garrett's influence on Kellen Moore. For those who don't know, Wilonsky isn't really a sports guy by trade, but they do a very good show every Wednesday night. (It's Tuesday next week due to a Stars game.)

Anyway, Wilsonsky is the cynical, pessimistic Cowboys fan. He asked Moore how the dynamic between Jason and Kellen really works. Moore is as close to the team as any media person so he should have a good idea.

Moore said Jason doesn't get involved much -- if ever -- with individual play calls on Sundays. But he said Jason has a very heavy hand earlier in the week when game planning. Moore said that's only natural when you have a young coach who's never called plays before and a veteran offensive coach. Said Kellen naturally defers to his head coach -- he said even Baker Mayfield would probably defer to a more experienced coach -- and there was no way Jason was going to turn everything over to a rookie playcaller when his job is on the line.

Also said Jason won't insist on individual play calls but will want to know what Kellen is seeing and thinking. Interestingly, Moore gave a couple of examples, and both were of Jason pulling back the reins on Kellen's aggressiveness.

For the record, Moore is what I'd call a Garrett supporter, though he is old-school- journalist-fair enough that he isn't blatant about it and does present both sides.

Just as well all suspected. If I were Moore, I'd report him to Jerry Jones ASAP. Jason doesn't even need to be touching the playbook, let alone pulling back Moore. I can't help but think that maybe we'd be 5-0 if he took his crummy and grummy little hands off our playbook and play caller.

waldoputty

Reaction score
garrett: oh kellen, with all the crowd noise, i think we need to make the gameplan simpler so it can be executed in the hostile environment. oh, probably should leave it up to the experienced players like zeke and witten as the young players are not used to crowdnoise. oh yeah, with communications issues, too much motion may cause mistakes. and yes finally, without much motion, it may be easier to attack north south, which plays into zeke's strength...

Reaction score
I dont think I can start a new thread because I'm a noob but I got a serious question. Kind of out of left field. Do you guys like college ball too? How do you guys think Dabo Swinney would do with the Dallas Cowboys? I think hed absolutely kill it. Hed hire all the right guys or keep guys too. Hes already won 2 national championships. Why not leave for the Dallas Cowboys and bring us a super bowl? Hes a southern guy too. Idk. Just came to me like a random thought. I bet he knows a thing or two about offense. Yeah its college ball and yes times have changed, athletes are different, but Didnt Jimmy Johnson win here? Come on man! Get Dabo!

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I dont think I can start a new thread because I'm a noob but I got a serious question. Kind of out of left field. Do you guys like college ball too? How do you guys think Dabo Swinney would do with the Dallas Cowboys? I think hed absolutely kill it. Hed hire all the right guys or keep guys too. Hes already won 2 national championships. Why not leave for the Dallas Cowboys and bring us a super bowl? Hes a southern guy too. Idk. Just came to me like a random thought. I bet he knows a thing or two about offense. Yeah its college ball and yes times have changed, athletes are different, but Didnt Jimmy Johnson win here? Come on man! Get Dabo!

Can't be worse than Garrett. Many would be willing to give him a shot, I believe :dance:.

Wood

Reaction score
. No one wanted it more than me. I guess I should have reworded it. How about just being unpredictable on offense.

I think Moore & Dak got ahead of themselves little. At this stage Dak just isn't consistently accurate enough to be this vertical chunk play offense. Personally, I think you need to throw the ball to win but Dallas should cut back Dak involvement and make Zeke focal point again. That saddens me because I thought after first 3 games that Dak was ready to take that step.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I think Moore & Dak got ahead of themselves little. At this stage Dak just isn't consistently accurate enough to be this vertical chunk play offense. Personally, I think you need to throw the ball to win but Dallas should cut back Dak involvement and make Zeke focal point again. That saddens me because I thought after first 3 games that Dak was ready to take that step.

How has Dak been ahead of himself? I know he said that during the Miami game that he got a bit greedy, but he has been playing pretty well, even by the GB game standards. 2 INT's weren't his fault. Hell, one was probably a TD pass had it not bounced off of Coop's hands like a hot potato. The other was DPI and if Gallup was there to catch it, it would have been a first down. Before that, he has thrown minimal INT's and is top 3 in average YPA and completion percentage. He has taken that step with pride. With a more pass heavy offense, you are more likely to have an interception. High risk, high reward. A lot of pass heavy offenses have this problem. Dak and Moore are fine.

Wood

Reaction score
How has Dak been ahead of himself? I know he said that during the Miami game that he got a bit greedy, but he has been playing pretty well, even by the GB game standards. 2 INT's weren't his fault. Hell, one was probably a TD pass had it not bounced off of Coop's hands like a hot potato. The other was DPI and if Gallup was there to catch it, it would have been a first down. Before that, he has thrown minimal INT's and is top 3 in average YPA and completion percentage. He has taken that step with pride. With a more pass heavy offense, you are more likely to have an interception. High risk, high reward. A lot of pass heavy offenses have this problem. Dak and Moore are fine.

he has to be able to hit simple throws like post that was easy 7 pt. Not only was the ball inaccurate but its not even a spiral. Thats likely why Cooper couldn't handle it. This isn't one game problem. This has been his problem his entire career. We thought that changed when he was playing really bad teams. But that turned out to be poor measuring stick. I am not convinced Dak has the accuracy to ever be focal point.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't agree with your assessment of the quarterback. What is this guy have to do to prove. Seriously do you pay attention to the quarterbacks in the league the rest of them. Do you watch the playoffs how horrible they were last season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They are not using unique hand signals. Things Moore should have thought about. Everything worked great until there was enough film to study. They need to change things up.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
...no way Jason was going to turn everything over to a rookie playcaller when his job is on the line.

Garrett's job is on the line? When did that happen ?

Thats news to me .

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's exactly right. Garrett helps moore with the game plan and if thats not working its Moore's responsibility to adjust during the game. Having said that our offense isnt the problem, its just not been good enough to makeup for this pourus defense.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Just as well all suspected. If I were Moore, I'd report him to Jerry Jones ASAP. Jason doesn't even need to be touching the playbook, let alone pulling back Moore. I can't help but think that maybe we'd be 5-0 if he took his crummy and grummy little hands off our playbook and play caller.
He is the head coach. It's not gonna happen. No matter how many people want Jason to keep his nose out of Kellen's job, it will not happen because Jason is the head coach and that's that way it is.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He is the head coach. It's not gonna happen. No matter how many people want Jason to keep his nose out of Kellen's job, it will not happen because Jason is the head coach and that's that way it is.

JJ told Moore to talk to him if anyone on that coaching sideline messed with him. It doesn't matter if JG is the HC, as JJ rules over them all. All Moore has to do is trot down to his office and tell him JG has been meddling with his OC business.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
JJ told Moore to talk to him if anyone on that coaching sideline messed with him. It doesn't matter if JG is the HC, as JJ rules over them all. All Moore has to do is trot down to his office and tell him JG has been meddling with his OC business.
JJ told Moore? I have not heard that. I will believe it if you have proof.

On the flip side, I can see JJ doing it. You don't really want to cause a riff between your coaches.

phildadon86

Reaction score

People called me crazy when I said Jason was all over the Saints game. Go figure.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Like I said before, crap rolls down hill. Moore as a boss (Garrett) to adhere too. So maybe, just maybe, Moore is being handcuffed like Linehane allegedly was.

starfan1

Reaction score
Jason has pics of jerry with a goat does no good to pull rank lol.j/k

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
But practically speaking, that isn't going to happen, especially with a guy as young and inexperienced as Kellen. Someone like a Bill Callahan, possibly. That's probably why Garrett felt threatened by him.

And Moore (David) said that wouldn't be Kellen's personality anyway.