News: Inside The Cowboys: 'The Widening Of Connor Williams

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
:huh:

Connor Williams never played for Houston — either the (college) Cougars or the (NFL) Texans. He was drafted by the Cowboys in 2018 after his junior year with the Texas Longhorns and is entering his second pro season.

More importantly, he’s an offensive G/T and has never played defense.

I made a boo-boo, switching to a commentary on Christian Covington and somehow, I had carelessly picked the wrong thread to do so. Color my face red. Talk about losing focus! ;)

If it's possible to make up for it, let me just say I'm looking forward to seeing Connor Williams redeem himself for last year's less than impressive showing. I honestly believe he will, although it'll be comforting to actually see him proving it in live action. He's another one, aside from Covington, that I think will do himself proud.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m confused ...... Connor Williams has already played for Houston?

Nope -- I got him confused midway through talking about Covington. Connor Williams played for UT and Covington for Houston.

(It's embarrassing.) Wine can do that.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He'll be tested. I'll be hoping his weight gain includes some sufficient strength maintenance as well. He was a stud for Houston as a rotational DT. As a rotational 3-tech, I'm sincerely hoping he'll still be the stud that he was for Houston. There likely a reason why his teammates hated to see him depart for the Cowboys. I see him as another cog in a defense that needed more cogs for their betterment. Even more good news is that he's a dedicated worker in the weight room and on the field.

Christian Covington

Lost 30 pounds.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I can tell your not familiar with longhorn football.
Um, unfortinately, yes. Vince young was 20 years ago and Longhorns are perennial also fans. Face up to it.
Not with Mack Brown. They were constantly highly ranked.
Like I said, Vince and Mack are like 20 years ago.
Set some new expectations aside beating Texas Tech every year, you rubes.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Heard some reports from the beat writers that Connor has won the most improved player this offseason... weight gain, improved strength etc

Sounds like he has been dedicating himself and putting the work in. Doesn’t guarantee success on the field necessarily— but it would be hard to succeed if he DIDN’T put the work in and improve in these areas lol

Pulling for the kid... tons of upside

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heard some reports from the beat writers that Connor has won the most improved player this offseason... weight gain, improved strength etc

Sounds like he has been dedicating himself and putting the work in. Doesn’t guarantee success on the field necessarily— but it would be hard to succeed if he DIDN’T put the work in and improve in these areas lol

Pulling for the kid... tons of upside

I've also seen that he's been learning everything he can from Zack Martin. I don't think a young lineman could find a better role model to emulate. If Williams can somehow become half the player, we're in great shape. I'm very encouraged that Williams has one of the most important qualities for success - determination. I think this young man wants to be great and is willing to put in every bit of the work necessary to do so.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I've also seen that he's been learning everything he can from Zack Martin. I don't think a young lineman could find a better role model to emulate. If Williams can somehow become half the player, we're in great shape. I'm very encouraged that Williams has one of the most important qualities for success - determination. I think this young man wants to be great and is willing to put in every bit of the work necessary to do so.

Agreed. I think fan expectations are unrealistic for rookies. Connor struggled some— but is far from a bust.

Takes a while for guys to develop strength, skill, and knowledge— let alone the endurance to play a longer season against superior talent.

The grind is real. As you stated— he has some great role models to emulate. I hope he takes a big step forward this season and gets to see the fruit of his labor from the offseason

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I think fan expectations are unrealistic for rookies. Connor struggled some— but is far from a bust.

Takes a while for guys to develop strength, skill, and knowledge— let alone the endurance to play a longer season against superior talent.

The grind is real. As you stated— he has some great role models to emulate. I hope he takes a big step forward this season and gets to see the fruit of his labor from the offseason

Same here.

It's easy to root for someone doing their best and putting in the work to succeed.