Inside the numbers- defensive futility

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307828 said:
Cleveland isnt awful? Are you serious?

and how good is Green Bay? They beat a 1 win Minnesota team at home (barely) and then got off to a big lead, gave it up and needed a couple of gift ints to pull away late vs atrocious Detroit. Did you watch Green Bay last week? They were horrible at Tampa.

Washington looked far better vs us (in our stadium) than they had in any of their previous three games.

Their offense was anything but awful last year... And call me crazy, but four games this year is too early to say their offense will be awful all this year.

So the other three games are against McNabb, a healthy Rodgers (which he wasn't last week), and Campbell, who is pretty good.

You have to admit that you can't extrapolate the numbers against those QBs out to 16 games and compare them to last year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307717 said:
I was looking at some of the numbers from this yr, then compared them to last year.

So far in 4 games this yr, as a TEAM we have 6 tackles for loss, 12 passes defensed 2 forced fumbles and 12 sacks. As has been mentioned, we have ZERO interceptions.

We're an attacking style defense (at least thats what we're told) so having an average of 1.5 TFL's and 3 PD's each week is pretty weak.

Last yr as a TEAM we had 77 tackles for loss, 84 passes defensed, 20 forced fumbles, 46 sacks, and 19 interceptions. That means our AVERAGE game we had almost 5 TFL's and just over 5 PD's. Thats pretty good.

In regards to interceptions, we had 9 picks in the first 4 games last yr. In the 17 games since (counting the playoff loss) we have a total of only 10.

Looking at some individual players. Ken Hamlin has no interceptions, no passes defensed, no forced fumbles and no sacks. Terence Newman has been credited with no PD's. Only one player (Ratliff with 2) has more than one TFL. No Dallas player who plays safety has credit for a pass defensed or TFL. Niether starting ILB has credit for a tackle for loss.

It's really a disgrace. While some of this can be credited to some guys playing hurt, missing games or not playing up to expectations, the vast majority of the blame has to fall on Wade Phillips and Brian Stewart. There really isnt any excuse for them to be taking this kind of major step backwards from last yr, when guys were putting up better results despite playing in this defense for the first time and having to learn on the fly. Then factor in significant upgrades at talent at CB and ILB, and it just makes zero sense.

I agree.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307717 said:
Last yr as a TEAM we had 77 tackles for loss

I'm not sure where you're getting your stats from, but we had nowhere close to 77 tackles for loss last season. The coaches' stats gave us 40 TFL last year, and STATS LLC had us with 35 stuffs.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2308185 said:
I'm not sure where you're getting your stats from, but we had nowhere close to 77 tackles for loss last season. The coaches' stats gave us 40 TFL last year, and STATS LLC had us with 35 stuffs.

And according to the Gamebooks on Nfl.com we have 14 Tfls for the year

Game 1 2
game 2 3
game 3 6
game 4 3

Which averages 3.5 a game and should end up at the end of the season around 56.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tattoo_fail.jpg

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2308100 said:
Their offense was anything but awful last year

this isnt last yr

... And call me crazy, but four games this year is too early to say their offense will be awful all this year.

and their offense has been pathetic all 4 weeks, and every week of preseason...

You have to admit that you can't extrapolate the numbers against those QBs out to 16 games and compare them to last year.

thats true, but I am not extrapolating anything when I watch our defense run cream puff zone after cream puff zone, and run one or two blitzes of the same design week after week either...I am also not extrapolating the bad tackling or lack of anything even remotely close to plays on the ball

we're just playing lousy defense, I dont care who its against

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2308185 said:

right off ESPN's website:

NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF BK PD INT YDS AVG LNG TD
Totals 1041 799 242 46.0 77 20 1 84 19 331 17.4 70 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=dal&year=2007

Ware has 20 TFL's on the website, and that seems about right...if we only had 40, that means he had half of them...and I dont think thats right either

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;2308329 said:
right off ESPN's website:

NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF BK PD INT YDS AVG LNG TD
Totals 1041 799 242 46.0 77 20 1 84 19 331 17.4 70 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=dal&year=2007

Ware has 20 TFL's on the website, and that seems about right...if we only had 40, that means he had half of them...and I dont think thats right either

They must be counting sacks as tackles for loss or something.

Our opponents had 98 plays that lost yardage last season. Of those, 46 were sacks. That leaves only 52 negative plays. Eight of them were kneel-downs, on which no tackles are awarded. That leaves 44 negative plays -- five completed passes, 36 rushes and three fumbled snaps.

You tell me how we got 77 tackles for loss out of that.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
What I think is happening is when Wade was in SD, they had great pressure, played man to man, and got beat deep....a lot! I think that got him to change his philosophy a little bit. Even though our corners are good in man to man, I think he is gun shy because of our safeties.