Interceptions- Tied for last in the league

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think the first draft of this tweet said "flushing"

ondaedg

Reaction score
For all those who state...we didn't beat any good teams, Dak sucks, why did we not score a TD in 3 games etc etc etc.

The fact that we tied with Arizona (5 wins) and Detroit (3 wins) for the least amount of interceptions in the league should give you an indication as to why we ended the season 8-8 and disappointed so many times this year.

This is an ongoing problem and just a completely baffling development from the self proclaimed "Purge Squad".

Start here when looking to place blame followed by the horrific special teams play that missed a million fgs, had horrific punting, and the worst starting field position in the league.

The real culprits.

Since Garrett became head coach no team has fewer INTs than we do.

BIGS87

Reaction score
These are valid points but at the end of the day the defense and special teams played well enough to win at philly.. it was the offense that choked, most of our money is spent on the offense! They needed to perform against a beat up Philly secondary and completely choked! Not only did they not perform they gave the ball away.

uvaballa

Reaction score
In 2016 they were third from last with 9. A whopping 2 more than 2019.

13-3.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Just saying.
What did they do in the playoffs? Did they force any turnovers in the playoffs?

Cowboys were 31st in average starting field position this year. That means the ST sucks and the defense sucked giving them short fields. Our offense was required to do more than most teams.

JayFord

Reaction score
I guarantee you if they actually turn their head every now and then we would get plenty more

Redline360

Reaction score
Chido probably had a good 4-5 balls that hit him square in the back.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What did they do in the playoffs? Did they force any turnovers in the playoffs?

Cowboys were 31st in average starting field position this year. That means the ST sucks and the defense sucked giving them short fields. Our offense was required to do more than most teams.
Like I said. Plenty of blame to go around. Including the offense.

The OP started an 'excuse for Dak' thread whining about the lack of interceptions being the reason for 8-8.

I simply pointed out that during the most successful season of the Dak era the team had an equally dismal amount of interceptions with a mere 2 more than this season and ranking barely above last in the league.

It was a poorly thought out and executed thread intended to absolve Dak of any and all responsibility for 8-8.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
"Dead last in interceptions, dead last in net punting, let's all complain about Dak & Zeke!" - CZ :muttley:

This is our moronic fanbase in general. The offense takes all the blame. They are the punching bag. This defense and special teams are god awful. They create zero field position for this offense. Defense creates very little turnovers. Even if we force a punt, we have already allowed the opposing team to drive deep and then they pin us deep with a punt. Whenever we get a lead after a hard fought time (Vikings and Saints game come to mind first), our defense allows a back breaking drive immediately after and we give the lead back. We ask this offense to drive the length of the field constantly. And our special teams are just as bad. Our punter sucks. We have no ability to do anything in the return game. Our coverage teams are terrible. We don't view special teams as anything to coach up or invest in and it shows year after year.

But hey, it will continue to be "hurrr durr Dak and Zeke suck!!!!111"

When will this defense and special teams show any life?

Ken

Reaction score
This has to be a scheme or coaching issue. I looked up the Cowboys INT stats going back to 2010. Since 2014, the Cowboys have never had more than 10 INTs and never ranked better than 24th in this category.

They had 18 in 2014, 15 in 2013, 15 in 2011, and 20 in 2010. I don't know what changed in 2015 to cause the dropoff in INTs but they went from 18 to 8. 7 is the lowest number of INTs they had in any year since 2010. They had 7 in 2019 and 2012. One thing I noticed is Sean Lee led the team in 2011 and 2013 with 4. He only played in 6 games in 2012 when they had a big drop off in INTs. Demarcus Ware left the team in 2014.

So basically, lack of INTs has been a problem for the last 5 years.
To put this inp ..

Everson Walls had 11 ints his rookie year and another season of 9.

This was in the early 80s...in a non pass happy league.

Geezus we are pathetic.

If we pay Byron Jones i will lose it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Everson Walls had 11 ints his rookie year and another season of 9.

Byron Jones can't catch a cold but in fairness, they avoid him to target Awuzie. A big reason Everson Walls got all those picks as a rookie was opponents targeted him a ton because they couldn't believe Dallas was starting a UDFA.

Creeper

Reaction score
Byron Jones can't catch a cold but in fairness, they avoid him to target Awuzie. A big reason Everson Walls got all those picks as a rookie was opponents targeted him a ton because they couldn't believe Dallas was starting a UDFA.

All the Cowboys DBs plays the receivers and not the ball. Its rare to see a Cowboys DB looking back for the ball. Maybe its because they play a lot of man coverage? I wish they would play more aggressively but then I expect we'll see more PI calls.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For all those who state...we didn't beat any good teams, Dak sucks, why did we not score a TD in 3 games etc etc etc.

The fact that we tied with Arizona (5 wins) and Detroit (3 wins) for the least amount of interceptions in the league should give you an indication as to why we ended the season 8-8 and disappointed so many times this year.

This is an ongoing problem and just a completely baffling development from the self proclaimed "Purge Squad".

Start here when looking to place blame followed by the horrific special teams play that missed a million fgs, had horrific punting, and the worst starting field position in the league.

The real culprits.
Lack of pix alone cost us at least 1 game.

Kaiser

Reaction score
All the Cowboys DBs plays the receivers and not the ball. Its rare to see a Cowboys DB looking back for the ball. Maybe its because they play a lot of man coverage? I wish they would play more aggressively but then I expect we'll see more PI calls.

Its Richard's scheme for sure. Next year they may play the ball more and have more picks but allow more big plays. Its always a tradeoff and Richard plays for denying the completion.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Our inability to look back for the ball strikes me as one reason - that and playing a coverage zone that allows easy short catches.
The thing that pissed me off the most this season was when I would see us blitz the QB but give a 10 yard cushion. Are you f***ing kidding me? The whole point of a blitz is to force the QB into a quick decision. How hard can that decision possibly be when your WR has ten yards of space in front of him?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Its Richard's scheme for sure. Next year they may play the ball more and have more picks but allow more big plays. Its always a tradeoff and Richard plays for denying the completion.
It predates Richard, I remember a CB named Ryan McNeill was signed as a FA when Zimmer was still here. McNeill was a one time pro bowler, was interviewed after his one year with the Cowboys, and said that he made a really nice interception that changed momentum, and everyone was jumping on him and celebrating. He said when he got to the sideline Zimmer was waiting for him and chewed him out for not playing the proper technic. He said Zimmer didn't care about him making an interception if he didn't properly play his technic. McNeill went on to say he was happy to get the heck out of Dallas. I think somehow we are still in that mindset.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The real culprits.

In 1981 the Cowboys intercepted 37 passes. In 2019 they picked off 7.

Three players had at least 7 picks in 1981.

Reactions: Ken