Interest in Keenan Allen

Dallas5xchamps

Reaction score
Was listening to fox sports, and it's being reported that due to bad cap mgmt, the Chargers won't be able to keep him. I believe the cap went up quite a bit this off-season. He is 30 years old, but I believe he's a size match up that we need.

Proof

Reaction score
I think Keenan is extremely underrated. He's also getting older and dinged up. wouldn't be my top target, but someone to keep an eye on for sure.

Plankton

Reaction score
Terrific receiver, but he has a lot of miles on him, and doesn't provide the speed element that the offense needs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas is 8 million over the cap. Do you really thing Cheapo Jones will make enough room to sign him? Yes we know he can, but will he?

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Even if they could afford him, it would be a horrible move. He can't stay healthy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is 8 million over the cap. Do you really thing Cheapo Jones will make enough room to sign him? Yes we know he can, but will he?
Current year cap space is irrelevant. They can always restructure contracts to free up cap space.

The cap space the following season is a better indicator. It that's tight, then it's not a good idea to push cap dollars forward.
- It is difficult (for fans) to get a completely accurate comparison because some teams have more players under contract in future year than other teams.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Current year cap space is irrelevant. They can always restructure contracts to free up cap space.

The cap space the following season is a better indicator. It that's tight, then it's not a good idea to push cap dollars forward.
- It is difficult (for fans) to get a completely accurate comparison because some teams have more players under contract in future year than other teams.
I know that is why I said they can make room but will they? I do not believe they will and I think they will cite their cap as why. Stephen often uses the cap as his scape goat for not targeting top players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know that is why I said they can make room but will they? I do not believe they will and I think they will cite their cap as why. Stephen often uses the cap as his scape goat for not targeting top players.
Hopefully you realize they don't save real dollars by being conservative with regards to the cap.

SJ wants to follow the Patriots model. The model that resulted in 6 Super Bowl wins in a time period when no other teams has more than 2.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hopefully you realize they don't save real dollars by being conservative with regards to the cap.

SJ wants to follow the Patriots model. The model that resulted in 6 Super Bowl wins in a time period when no other teams has more than 2.
Real talk, how many of those SBs do they win without the greatest QB who ever lived?

The patriots model is luck into Tom Brady, maintain a top 10 defense. Everything else they try appears to work because of it. It’s an impossible model to copy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Real talk, how many of those SBs do they win without the greatest QB who ever lived?

The patriots model is luck into Tom Brady, maintain a top 10 defense. Everything else they try appears to work because of it. It’s an impossible model to copy.
TB didn't win all by himself.

The Giants won 2 with Dopey (Eli) without going all-in. They tried all-in later and failed.

KC didn't go all-in.

Eagles, Rams, Broncos all got 1 win with the all-in approach. Most other teams in that time period did not go all-in.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
TB didn't win all by himself.

The Giants won 2 with Dopey (Eli) without going all-in. They tried all-in later and failed.

KC didn't go all-in.

Eagles, Rams, Broncos all got 1 win with the all-in approach. Most other teams in that time period did not go all-in.
TB doesn’t win all by himself, but how many times does Dak Prescott outduel Peyton Manning? You have to build around your circumstance. No one can have NE’s circumstance

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TB doesn’t win all by himself, but how many times does Dak Prescott outduel Peyton Manning? You have to build around your circumstance. No one can have NE’s circumstance
I have examples other than the Patriots.

Either method can work but probabily favors the steady approach over the all-in approach.

The Commodes (Skins) tried the all-in approach many years and failed miserably.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I have examples other than the Patriots.

Either method can work but probabily favors the steady approach over the all-in approach.

The Commodes (Skins) tried the all-in approach many years and failed miserably.
I think what is considered the “all-in” approach is way overblown. Philly wasn’t all in. LAR had most of their parts returning, they were simply fraught with injury this year. Plus their window had been open since 2017, won many playoff games in that time and made a second SB. Tampa wasn’t all in, Denver wasnt all in with Peyton. They were strong for 4 straight years.

If you look at these more reservist builds, even those teams traded picks away, signed premium free agents. Giants in 2007 don’t go anywhere without giving Plaxico his big contract in free agency. And again in 2011 making Antrel Rolle one of the highest paid safeties in the league.

All-in doesn’t work, as you noted with Washington. But neither does staying away from big free agents and trading draft picks either. Even NE had huge free agent pickups all throughout their run. Dallas doesn’t have to go all in, fans are simply asking they do something more than the complete opposite.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what is considered the “all-in” approach is way overblown. Philly wasn’t all in. LAR had most of their parts returning, they were simply fraught with injury this year. Plus their window had been open since 2017, won many playoff games in that time and made a second SB. Tampa wasn’t all in, Denver wasnt all in with Peyton. They were strong for 4 straight years.

If you look at these more reservist builds, even those teams traded picks away, signed premium free agents. Giants in 2007 don’t go anywhere without giving Plaxico his big contract in free agency. And again in 2011 making Antrel Rolle one of the highest paid safeties in the league.

All-in doesn’t work, as you noted with Washington. But neither does staying away from big free agents and trading draft picks either. Even NE had huge free agent pickups all throughout their run. Dallas doesn’t have to go all in, fans are simply asking they do something more than the complete opposite.
Yes, all-in is just a method to reference a concept. It could be called an uber-agressive approach but most fans wouldn't understand that reference.

• The Rams (in the same season):
    • Traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get Von Miller for 8 regular season games plus playoffs.
    • Traded two 1st round picks, a 3rd and Jared Goff for Matt Stafford.

• Cowboys:
    • Re-signing players is equivalent to signing free agents.
    • They've given out some big contracts to re-sign players.

• Patriots:
    • Signing a few free agents to big contracts is different than investing both 40M AAV and two 1sts, a 3rd and a player in Matt Stafford.

Summary: The Stephen "cap boy" Jones approach since 2014 has been better than the Jerry wildcatting approach that resulted in moves like two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway.