Interesting albeit obscure stat on Xavier Woods

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He flashed a lot this year. Growing pains included but at the very least he’s solid depth. I’d draft a safety if a good one falls though...

Last edited:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He flashed a lot this year. Growing pains included but at the very least he’s solid depth. I’d draft a sefety if a good one falls though...
I definitely want Heath replaced. Terrible in coverage and tackling fell off this year

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
I was a fan of his during his rookie year when he came in on the dime and contributed in the slot.

Then, like most people, I started to worry about his tackling ability as a safety. But this year he proved to me that he's willing and able to throw his body around to make a stop. Some will hate to hear this but it reminds me of JJ Wilcox and how he would throw his body into hits.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I like Woods alot, to me he's starting caliber with potential. I think it's the other safety position we need to upgrade. Heath has been more good than bad, but I think he's much more effective as a complimentary/substitute safety.

stiletto

Reaction score
He greatly improved this year under Richard. Only one that I didn't see drastic improvement from was Heath. Same guy... Good backup/ST player. Can play safety in a pinch but not a starter. Everyone else showed improved in the secondary.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Not a surprise considering X is a good slot CB, so coverage is a strength of his. A full offseason of working on his weakness as a FS should lead to more big plays.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not a surprise considering X is a good slot CB, so coverage is a strength of his. A full offseason of working on his weakness as a FS should lead to more big plays.
Im not ready to say that X is really worthy of his current role, but he could be if his role were to become more defined.
What I mean by that is .. you need athletes in your secondary, X is that, but he is more of a scheme , sub package DB at this time.
This team has a major issue when trying to define this type of player, much like Byron Jones.
Is it the Scheme or the player, Byron proved it to be a very slow, ********, evaluation process,, no offense intended to ******** people.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Just curious but how many targets and how many did he give up? Especially compared to other top safeties.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just curious but how many targets and how many did he give up? Especially compared to other top safeties.
Don't know, that is a hard to find stat, but as far as tackling, he posted the following...
36 tackles
17 assists
1 forced fumble

The only passing stats I could recover..
2 INTs
9 passes defended/broken up.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Sorry but I didn't think Xavier Woods was that great. Showed some flashes of good play, then saw him get beat on others. I still believe Kavon Frazier is the better Safety of the two.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Sorry but I didn't think Xavier Woods was that great. Showed some flashes of good play, then saw him get beat on others. I still believe Kavon Frazier is the better Safety of the two.
They don’t play the same position. Xavier is a FS while Kavon is a SS. When Woods was hurt they covered by letting Heath play FS

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Kind of weird stat like the OP mentioned. Red zone really just means the Free Safety has less ground to cover, so I guess this means he does better when he has has less to defend?

On a positive note, it might indicate he's clutch.

Good point. But on the other hand, I'd rather have the safety with the best red zone rating than the safety with the worst red zone rating, or even the 16th rated safety.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Im not ready to say that X is really worthy of his current role, but he could be if his role were to become more defined.
What I mean by that is .. you need athletes in your secondary, X is that, but he is more of a scheme , sub package DB at this time.
This team has a major issue when trying to define this type of player, much like Byron Jones.
Is it the Scheme or the player, Byron proved it to be a very slow, ********, evaluation process,, no offense intended to ******** people.
Richard came in and put these guys in the best position for them moving forward and gave them defined roles, although I felt #27 n #35 could've helped more, Coach didn't...but whatever. X has a clear learning curve and I feel we he'll get better b/c he just needs to improve his tackling and recognition single high.

BJ should've been a CB day 1 due to how he tackles. DAL player evaluation in the secondary has been poor, hopefully Richard can fix the whole thing.

Before it was scheme n coaching, yet now w/ Richard it's on the players.