Interesting article on McCarthy's time in Green Bay

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
from an article Mike Lombardi posted on "The Athletic" (a subscription I greatly suggest any sports fan get)… It's a paid article so I can not share much but I found this very interesting...

"Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, the man who hired McCarthy, hated free agency; he only wanted to procure talent through the draft. He might look at some free agents, as long as their new contract did not affect the compensatory pool. Thompson only wanted draft picks or college free agents on his team, which meant the team was always youthful … which also meant the schemes couldn’t be too complicated. McCarthy never said a word; he never complained or leaked his disappointment in how the Packers’ front office worked. As the overall talent on the team decreased, and as some of their great skill players retired, the Packers’ offense slowly began to decline. McCarthy took the heat, he took the blame, never blinking or throwing anyone under the bus. His understanding of the rules of engagement in Packer Land had to impress the Jones family."

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing wrong with building through the draft but Thompson took it to the extreme and when the draft success started to wane it led to McCarthy's exit.

Yes, he was a good soldier because I've never heard him comment on this.

conner01

Reaction score
I’ve read that before
Every team has the same cap but not the same revenue
The packers make about a quarter of what jerry makes a year so building through the draft is very important to them
But Thompson did take it too the extreme

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
That makes sense, I always felt like the Packers' shortcomings had more to do with the front office and roster than McCarthy. With Rodgers they were winning 10+ games a year and making playoff runs. It's hard to successfully build and re-tool through the draft when you have low draft picks every year, just look at the Cowboys drafts in the years after they win the division.

Combine that with Thompson's reluctance to spend money then it's no surprise that the Packers ended up relying too much on Rodgers

Dre11

Reaction score
That makes sense, I always felt like the Packers' shortcomings had more to do with the front office and roster than McCarthy. With Rodgers they were winning 10+ games a year and making playoff runs. It's hard to successfully build and re-tool through the draft when you have low draft picks every year, just look at the Cowboys drafts in the years after they win the division.

Combine that with Thompson's reluctance to spend money then it's no surprise that the Packers ended up relying too much on Rodgers

except his players and fans didn't think so

MMObserver

Reaction score
from an article Mike Lombardi posted on "The Athletic" (a subscription I greatly suggest any sports fan get)… It's a paid article so I can not share much but I found this very interesting...

"Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, the man who hired McCarthy, hated free agency; he only wanted to procure talent through the draft. He might look at some free agents, as long as their new contract did not affect the compensatory pool. Thompson only wanted draft picks or college free agents on his team, which meant the team was always youthful … which also meant the schemes couldn’t be too complicated. McCarthy never said a word; he never complained or leaked his disappointment in how the Packers’ front office worked. As the overall talent on the team decreased, and as some of their great skill players retired, the Packers’ offense slowly began to decline. McCarthy took the heat, he took the blame, never blinking or throwing anyone under the bus. His understanding of the rules of engagement in Packer Land had to impress the Jones family."

Bingo.

McCarthy is the ultimate company man and no matter how incompetent his boss might be (Packer GM Ted Thompson literally became medically incompetent while he was still on the job), he kept his mouth shut as the Packers deteriorated (and he continued to collect his millions),

Would that type of character appeal to Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones?

MMObserver

Reaction score
I’ve read that before
Every team has the same cap but not the same revenue
The packers make about a quarter of what jerry makes a year so building through the draft is very important to them
But Thompson did take it too the extreme

The Packers make and have plenty of money.

After 2010, John Schneider (Seattle GM) and John Dorsey (ex-Chiefs and Browns GM) departed GB's front office and Ted Thompson, left to his own devices, refused to add any veterans to the roster (not a single player trade was made and fewer free agent were signinged than any other NFL GM).

Thompson was an idiot, the roster unsurprisingly deteriorated and, most importantly for Cowboys' fans, Mike McCarthy remained Thompson's loyal and subservient lap dog until the Packers finally put drooling Ted out to pasture at the end of the 2017 season.

Jerry could not possibly have found a coach more likely to sing his praises and to never, ever criticize him.

Aven8

Reaction score

Well hopefully he changes Stephens mind as it’s not very far off from Thompson’s.

Reactions: BAT

Chill35

Reaction score
Didn't we have a guy of similar qualities in Garrett ... never buck the front office type?

JJ got what he was looking for early on.

Exactly and this pisses me off. We didn't get a blood and guts kick the players butt type of coach but another Yes man for Jerry. Garretts circus has left town. Mcarthy will have the new one.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
The Packers make and have plenty of money.

After 2010, John Schneider (Seattle GM) and John Dorsey (ex-Chiefs and Browns GM) departed GB's front office and Ted Thompson, left to his own devices, refused to add any veterans to the roster (not a single player trade was made and fewer free agent were signinged than any other NFL GM).

Thompson was an idiot, the roster unsurprisingly deteriorated and, most importantly for Cowboys' fans, Mike McCarthy remained Thompson's loyal and subservient lap dog until the Packers finally put drooling Ted out to pasture at the end of the 2017 season.

Jerry could not possibly have found a coach more likely to sing his praises and to never, ever criticize him.

Just goes back to JJ telling the Head Coach who his OC and DC will be. Did McCarthy pick his DC or is that a Jerry's choice award?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The people comparing McCarthy to Garret is ridiculous.

garrets biggest fault wasn’t that he “didn’t complain” to the front office. Garrets biggest fault was the lack of preparation.... lack of in game adjustments. Lack of respect on the team.

idc if McCarthy isn’t a rock the boat type coach. I care about the above three things. This guy had a ring on his finger... this guys been to the playoffs with far less talent that we have on our current team.