Interesting Cowboys stats

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Marcus Spears- 0 sacks
Tank Johnson- 0 Sacks
Jason Hatcher- 0 sacks
Chris Canty- 2 sacks

Anthoney Spencer- 1 sack (this is the guy that can't be covered in practice?)
Greg Ellis- 4 sacks (downside of career)

Felix Jones- 8.9 a carry. God I miss this guy.

Henry and Newman = 2 ints

I threw Jones in because I just miss the guy, but my thought is that if we can get a little more production from a few of these guys, we could get this team on a roll.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
dmq;2445204 said:
Marcus Spears- 0 sacks
Tank Johnson- 0 Sacks
Jason Hatcher- 0 sacks
Chris Canty- 2 sacks

Anthoney Spencer- 1 sack (this is the guy that can't be covered in practice?)
Greg Ellis- 4 sacks (downside of career)

Felix Jones- 8.9 a carry. God I miss this guy.

Henry and Newman = 2 ints

I threw Jones in because I just miss the guy, but my thought is that if we can get a little more production from a few of these guys, we could get this team on a roll.

Interesting indeed, but bear in mind that the 3-4 defensive ends never get very many sacks to begin with in our scheme. I remember hearing somewhere (sorry no linky right now) that this is by design. Kinda reminds me a bit of the occupy and engage tactic that Zimmer had in his 4-3 defense.

Ratliff has been a pleasant surprise, and this defense would really suck if we didn't have him. Ware would be our only threat otherwise.

Section446

Reaction score
3-4 DE's don't generally create much pressure as it is. You would think that Spears, Johnson, and Hatcher would have at least managed a sack by now though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The new schemes Wade has our D playing is encouraging. We appear to be stopping the run better and the pass rush seems improved. While those numbers are not what we were really expecting, as a unit I believe our best days are still ahead of us.

Section446

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2445232 said:
The new schemes Wade has our D playing is encouraging. We appear to be stopping the run better and the pass rush seems improved. While those numbers are not what we were really expecting, as a unit I believe our best days are still ahead of us.
Agreed, though I'd like to see an upgrade at DE. Olshansky is going to be a URFA this off-season; I would love to see him with a star on his helmet. That is of course assuming we let Canty walk.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Tank hasn't done a whole lot all season.

I think hes been hanging around Bobby.

Section446

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2445291 said:

Yeah, I was really starting to buy into the hype surrounding Tank in the off-season. Sadly, I've been let down.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Part of Spencers bad stats are not being able to get on the field enough due to injury and Ellis still getting more playing time than him.

The sacks will come for him.

Big D

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2445309 said:
Part of Spencers bad stats are not being able to get on the field enough due to injury and Ellis still getting more playing time than him.

The sacks will come for him.

I think it's just because Ellis is a better player than Spencer right now.

Big D

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2445370 said:
It's debatable.

Sure it is but while Spencer is just beginning to get his feet under him, Ellis has been one of the more consistent players on this team since his arrival.

Section446

Reaction score
Big D;2445384 said:
Sure it is but while Spencer is just beginning to get his feet under him, Ellis has been one of the more consistent players on this team since his arrival.
He's had a good run, and I know last year was a great year for him. But he just doesn't look like the same player this year. I'm personally ready to give Spencer a much larger role.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2445291 said:

last i heard hes still playing with that ankle injury

Big D

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2445388 said:
He's had a good run, and I know last year was a great year for him. But he just doesn't look like the same player this year. I'm personally ready to give Spencer a much larger role.

I agree Spencer needs a larger role. It would be interesting to have Ellis moved inside to DE and have Spencer next to him. :eek:

Section446

Reaction score
Big D;2445403 said:
I agree Spencer needs a larger role. It would be interesting to have Ellis moved inside to DE and have Spencer next to him. :eek:
There would be some dead QB's.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Big D;2445403 said:

Ellis is too small to play DE in the 3-4 alignment. He can and still does play some end when we change up and play a 4-3.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2445208 said:
Interesting indeed, but bear in mind that the 3-4 defensive ends never get very many sacks to begin with in our scheme. I remember hearing somewhere (sorry no linky right now) that this is by design. Kinda reminds me a bit of the occupy and engage tactic that Zimmer had in his 4-3 defense.

Ratliff has been a pleasant surprise, and this defense would really suck if we didn't have him. Ware would be our only threat otherwise.

I know you're only repeating what you've heard, but I don't buy that 3-4 DE's don't get sacks thing...although, I'd accept it if they even got consistent pressure.

Back when NYG had LT and Banks getting sacks, I remember a guy named Leonard Marshall who was pretty damn good.

The really top notch pressure 3-4 defenses get a few sacks from NT and DE, but more importantly, they pressure and collapse the pocket, forcing the QB out to those OLBs.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
wayne motley;2445639 said:
I know you're only repeating what you've heard, but I don't buy that 3-4 DE's don't get sacks thing...although, I'd accept it if they even got consistent pressure.

Back when NYG had LT and Banks getting sacks, I remember a guy named Leonard Marshall who was pretty damn good.

The really top notch pressure 3-4 defenses get a few sacks from NT and DE, but more importantly, they pressure and collapse the pocket, forcing the QB out to those OLBs.

Can we start quoting stops on or behind the LOS as the main stat for 3-4 dlinemen its seems to be a better stat as to their performance. Not saying that we couldn't do with more sacks from Spears and Canty but thius seems to be their main focus during a game according to Wade.