Twitter: Interesting stat on Diggs vs Man/Zone splits

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was that play with Metcalf in man coverage because Metcalf beat him like a Hugh Jass drum. Diggs made it null by his hustle so that was great to see.

Safety X.Woods (and the scheme) is the reason that Metcalf was wide open.

Diggs played outside leverage. CBs must be deep inside help from a Safety when they play outside leverage.

Diggs did stumble a bit at when Metcalf faked a cut, but Woods has to be deep when Diggs is still in outside leverage at the point the WR going past Woods.
- It's football 101.

Woods was OK at the point shown in the image below, but should have immediately gotten deep starting then but did not.

On the opposite side, the CB played outside leverage and the Safety on that side moved over to cover the inside against the WR.

In 2020 the Cowboys repeatedly had failures in this 2-deep Safety alignment.
- The Safeties would end up not deep enough against the pass but too deep vs the run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The week before the Metcalf play, the Safeties/scheme had hung Diggs out to dry for similar reasons.
- The Falcons had a Wildcat QB in shotgun on 3rd and 2.
- The scheme had Diggs up in press-man vs Julio Jones in the slot.
- Both Safeties stayed up in the box area until Julio Jones was 15 yards downfield.
- Diggs managed to stay close enough to Jones to make it a difficult throw for the Wildcat QB and it was incomplete.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Legion of Boom coverage on a Diggs vs Metcalf type play:

In the Legion of Boom coverage, Richard Sherman would have played inside leverage.
- Generally that would result in the WR going between Sherman and the sideline.

- If the WR went outside, Sherman would then play man with the sideline as his help defender.
- The outside release would allow the FS to help elsewhere.

- If the WR went inside then then Sherman would drop into an intermediate/deep zone along the sideline.
- The FS would then stay deep.

- With the outside CBs each covering about 1/4 of the width of the field, the FS had less width to cover.
- That made the reads easier for the FS and allowed him more freedom to make big plays.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Safety X.Woods (and the scheme) is the reason that Metcalf was wide open.

Diggs played outside leverage. CBs must be deep inside help from a Safety when they play outside leverage.

Diggs did stumble a bit at when Metcalf faked a cut, but Woods has to be deep when Diggs is still in outside leverage at the point the WR going past Woods.
- It's football 101.

Woods was OK at the point shown in the image below, but should have immediately gotten deep starting then but did not.

On the opposite side, the CB played outside leverage and the Safety on that side moved over to cover the inside against the WR.

In 2020 the Cowboys repeatedly had failures in this 2-deep Safety alignment.
- The Safeties would end up not deep enough against the pass but too deep vs the run.

Even if Woods starts to get deep from the picture point forward, he'd still be no match for Metcalf with an unimpeded running start unless he risked cutting off Metcalf's route and draw a flag. However, my eyes immediately go to the protection Russell Wilson has. 5-6 yards from the nearest Cowboy to step into a throw with 2 OL free to head off an incoming threat, of which there was none. THAT is where this team will live or die on defense this year. We should be better against the run. The pass defense starting at the line is what concerns me. I'm not as high on Gregory as others (see what I did there?).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think we will have a top 15 defense statistically just with the switch back to a bland basic defense as our schedule being easy.
that would be nice to see. I am more interested to see the defensive improvements over the course of the season. probably 5 new starters, several rookies, new scheme it will take time to jell. it will take time for quinn to implement his full defensive scheme, so where we are going to be in the last 8 games will be the tell tale sign

quickccc

Reaction score
We will be playing more of a zone, coverage scheme which should help Diggs based on his metrics from last season.

I'm steadily hearing Cover 3 is what we'll be operating out of of.

Isn't it a specific kind of zone coverage scheme that seems like a mixture of man and zone; more like a jam and
pass off to the drifting safety ?

i'm trying to differ the big dfference and visual of Cover 3 which i thought is defined as strong safety moving up
in the box at line, while the FS is a single high .... vs Cover 2 - the two deep safety umbrella look.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2047445-nfl-101-introducing-the-basics-of-cover-3

Not sure about the other CBs, but i really believe Diggs is more suited to jam and drift zone coverage or off-line single coverage than trying to run hip to hip with speedsters 60 yards downfield like Nolan/Harris him doing.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm steadily hearing Cover 3 is what we'll be operating out of of.

Isn't it a specific kind of zone coverage scheme that seems like a mixture of man and zone; more like a jam and
pass off to the drifting safety ?

i'm trying to differ the big dfference and visual of Cover 3 which i thought is defined as strong safety moving up
in the box at line, while the FS is a single high .... vs Cover 2 - the two deep safety umbrella look.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2047445-nfl-101-introducing-the-basics-of-cover-3

Not sure about the other CBs, but i really believe Diggs is more suited to jam and drift zone coverage or off-line single coverage than trying to run hip to hip with speedsters 60 yards downfield like Nolan/Harris him doing.
The cover 3 scheme has the two outside corners pressing and then bailing into their zone. The middle zone is covered by the single high free safety. The deep secondary is playing zone coverage in their third of the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if Woods starts to get deep from the picture point forward, he'd still be no match for Metcalf with an unimpeded running start unless he risked cutting off Metcalf's route and draw a flag. However, my eyes immediately go to the protection Russell Wilson has. 5-6 yards from the nearest Cowboy to step into a throw with 2 OL free to head off an incoming threat, of which there was none. THAT is where this team will live or die on defense this year. We should be better against the run. The pass defense starting at the line is what concerns me. I'm not as high on Gregory as others (see what I did there?).

The point is that the Safety made no attempt to get deep despite Diggs playing outside leverage.

Coverage must be prepared for plays when the pass rush is not effective.

Fans hated "bend don't break" then Nolan brought a scheme prone to breaking instead of just bending.

Summary: A rookie CB playing outside leverage vs a big WR with elite speed and no Safety help is doomed unless he pulls a miracle out if his backside.