Twitter: Interesting stat on Diggs vs Man/Zone splits

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well, Diggs is still here while Woods is not.

So, Yep.
Ok a few things.
  • Diggs is on a rookie contract, so that comparison doesn't matter for another 3 seasons
  • What happened with Woods is largely independent of this play
  • You interpreted DK's route entirely wrong. He never went away from running a post, and if the safety had abandoned that spot, a post is exactly what you SHOULD run. He got him by faking a 7/5/3.
  • You don't know the playcall, so at best you're guessing on what Woods did. Most likely, you're wrong.
Basically none of what you said was correct, and what might have been was speculative at best.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok a few things.
  • Diggs is on a rookie contract, so that comparison doesn't matter for another 3 seasons
  • What happened with Woods is largely independent of this play
  • You interpreted DK's route entirely wrong. He never went away from running a post, and if the safety had abandoned that spot, a post is exactly what you SHOULD run. He got him by faking a 7/5/3.
  • You don't know the playcall, so at best you're guessing on what Woods did. Most likely, you're wrong.
Basically none of what you said was correct, and what might have been was speculative at best.
I'm pretty sure I'm right.

What makes what you say correct? If you were so right, Woods would still be here.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm right.

What makes what you say correct? If you were so right, Woods would still be here.
You are 100% wrong about DK's route, but neither of us know what the defensive playcall was. However, if Woods was supposed to be deep, then that's Cover 4, which they didn't play that often, but they had a safety in a buzz role all the time.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Legion of Boom coverage on a Diggs vs Metcalf type play:

In the Legion of Boom coverage, Richard Sherman would have played inside leverage.
- Generally that would result in the WR going between Sherman and the sideline.

- If the WR went outside, Sherman would then play man with the sideline as his help defender.
- The outside release would allow the FS to help elsewhere.

- If the WR went inside then then Sherman would drop into an intermediate/deep zone along the sideline.
- The FS would then stay deep.

- With the outside CBs each covering about 1/4 of the width of the field, the FS had less width to cover.
- That made the reads easier for the FS and allowed him more freedom to make big plays.
Except our safeties early in the season had no clue what they were doing and allowed big play after big play - or dropped the ball when they had a chance at an INT.