Interesting tidbits today about Antonio Bryant and Adam Viniateri

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Warning lights went up with me about Braylon Edwards when she showed up for the Draft in a brand new $170,000 Bentley before he had even signed his contract. I think most of these holdout and contract demands from players under contract are from guys who are in over their head in debt. I have a close friend who was a bankruptcy lawyer in Dallas for several years, and he used to tell me you would be surprised how many million dollar professional athletes have to file for Chapter 11 before they're even out of the league. I don't think its any coincidence that Terrel Owens had to put two of his houses up for sale at about the same time that he started causing disruptions about a new contract in Philly.

Savage's track record is well established. He was the head of player personnel department for the Ravens that drafted 10 Pro Bowlers under his tenure.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Vianeteri. I thought there was absolutely no way the Patriots would let him on the market. Looks like a very real possibility now.

Will Vinateri be willing to take less money to stay with the Pats? Is Dallas willing to get into a bidding war for a kicker? I would love for him to be the kicker in Dallas. I just don't see them making the effort to get him. They will look for a cheaper alternative. Hopefully not as cheap as last season.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
noshame said:
You brought Savage into the conversation, not me. You just seem to forget who was the guy calling the shots for the Ravens, no big deal.

I said, I did not see or hear anything bad from AB this past year, can you show me something?

The fact is a team with receiver head cases like Edwards and Winslow, and no QB, can't afford to take a chance on AB. But somebody will.

Dude, just to bostler up your argument, why do you keep saying Edwards as head case? Show me where he was told to be head case? Especially NFL. If thats what you think he is, then its a different issue, but thats not a fact based on any reports in the media or otherwise.

I have followed him in Michigan, while he had issues with Loyd Carr during his first two year, last two years of his college career, Carr and him got along great. Braylon was never the head case like Bryant or Winslow.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Key Decision Coming on Antonio Bryant

By NFL Scout

Date: Feb 1, 2006

With Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards still coming back from injuries and their return uncertain, the Browns might need to hold on to Antonio Bryant. Will they bring back the sometimes-frustrating receiver?

Among the reasons the Browns won only six games in 2005 is they lacked a quick-strike offense. Rookie Braylon Edwards did not become a full-time starter until the game against Tennessee on Nov. 6 and his season ended Dec. 4 with a torn ACL.

Another big-play threat, Kellen Winslow Jr., never got on the field because of injuries from his motorcycle accident. Winslow worked like a fiend during the season in hopes of being in football shape when training camp begins in July.

The fact is, though, Winslow and Edwards are uncertain factors for 2006, and that makes the decision on what the Browns do about potential free agent Antonio Bryant an important one.

Bryant caught 69 passes for 1,009 yards and four touchdowns. But he also dropped seven passes. Some were critical, and the Browns are weighing that as they decide how to proceed.

General manager Phil Savage says he and Coach Romeo Crennel would like to re-sign Bryant, but they will not throw a pile of money at him. They might make an offer and let him test the market with the thought he won't make more elsewhere.
"I don't know anything about next year, and that's the honest truth," Bryant said. "I'm a different kind of dude. I just focus on the task at hand. I had to learn you can't focus on things you can't control.

"Would I like to be back? Sure, I would. I would love to play here. I like the way things are developing. But if I can't control it, there's no need for me to worry about it."

Bryant was regarded as a hothead when the Browns acquired him in a trade with the Cowboys last year. Bryant had a dispute with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells and made the rash decision to throw a jersey at Parcells. Not long afterward Parcells traded him to the Browns for Quincy Morgan. Morgan did not make it out of the Cowboys' 2005 training camp and he is now playing for the Steelers.

Bryant has not had such blowups with the Browns, or if he has they have been so minor they have been shrugged off. Quarterbacks Charlie Frye and Trent Dilfer are in his corner; they praise his route-running ability, and he has been open often to have more than 120 passes thrown in his direction.

"As far as the team goes, he's got his little quirks individually, but I think he wants the team to win," Crennel said. "I don't think he's done anything to go against the team."

Bryant caught nine passes for 123 yards in the final game of the season. He said that game, especially since the Browns rallied to beat the Ravens 20-16, helped erase the stinging 41-0 loss to the Steelers the week before. He caught four passes for a team-high 50 yards against Pittsburgh.

"When you lose 41-0, there is no way you can be satisfied," Bryant said. "We couldn't anything going, not even a spark. It took us a while just to get a first down.

"When the fourth quarter rolls around and you're not in better position, the frustration turns to anger, but you have to contain yourself. I think I've matured as a man in the four years I've been in this league. You learn to play for other people and not just yourself. You learn what a privilege it is to play in this game. If you don't take advantage of it, you're going to lose out."

http://browns.scout.com/2/495653.html

Yep, the guy just sounds horrible doesn't he?

lspain1

Reaction score
If AB has a strong "me" attitude but is (or might) mature to the point you would take another chance on him, why wouldn't you do the same with TO? How is this situation any different? The only difference I see is AB's sins have not been as public and AB is not as good a receiver as TO. I'm not saying I would take either guy, but the logic seems to hold for both guys.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
noshame said:
Savage's track record is well established. He was the head of player personnel for the Ravens that drafted 10 Pro Bowlers under his tenure.

Ya think somebody else might have had just a little to do with those Raven drafts?
This is Savage's first test calling the shots, we'll see how he does.

Since you missed it, Ozzie Newsome is the first person to give immense amount of credit to Phil Savage.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
It's really the only card left he can play because his original premise that Bryant has been well behaved on the field is patently false.

He was a malcontent on the field in every way, shape and form. He was in verbal altercations with his QB, his assistant coach just about anyone without the power to ship him out of town (I guess he has learned at least one thing in the NFL -- don't take on the head guy just everyone else). I'll have to go back and check to be 100%, but I believe he led NFL WRs in personal foul penalties also.

I am still amazed that some people cannot see Bryant for what he was, a complete and total hooligan.

And many fans still have romantic visions of him in number 88, being "passionate" and the "next Michael Irvin".

What an insult to the Playmaker.

Alexander

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
If AB has a strong "me" attitude but is (or might) mature to the point you would take another chance on him, why wouldn't you do the same with TO? How is this situation any different? The only difference I see is AB's sins have not been as public and AB is not as good a receiver as TO. I'm not saying I would take either guy, but the logic seems to hold for both guys.

It isn't any different.

Wait, yes it is. Owens actually is the type that is prepared and gives it his all on the field.

lspain1

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Will Vinateri be willing to take less money to stay with the Pats? Is Dallas willing to get into a bidding war for a kicker? I would love for him to be the kicker in Dallas. I just don't see them making the effort to get him. They will look for a cheaper alternative. Hopefully not as cheap as last season.

After last season, and the impact the kicker had on our season, I'm not sure you couldn't justify almost any amount for a kicker. Hopefully, the Cowboys will not be pennywise and pound foolish on this.

Alexander

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Hopefully, the Cowboys will not be pennywise and pound foolish on this.

You do not get it.

If we sign an expensive kicker, they will never miss FGs and we will go to the Super Bowl.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I am still amazed that some people cannot see Bryant for what he was, a complete and total hooligan.

And many fans still have romantic visions of him in number 88, being "passionate" and the "next Michael Irvin".

What an insult to the Playmaker.

:bow: :clap:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
noshame said:
You brought Savage into the conversation, not me. You just seem to forget who was the guy calling the shots for the Ravens, no big deal.

I said, I did not see or hear anything bad from AB this past year, can you show me something?

The fact is a team with receiver head cases like Edwards and Winslow, and no QB, can't afford to take a chance on AB. But somebody will.

One of my friends is a die hard Browns fan and he's happy to see Bryant go. Is that enough for you?

And all this talent you speak of, if it's there then why does he drop so many passes?

For a WR all the talent in the world is completely useless if a) you can't catch the ball, and b) refuse to run the correct routes.

You're wrong about Bryant. Period. Admit it and move on.

Hiero

Reaction score
noshame said:
"That's something we're looking into, trying to bring more of a professional demeanor, a professional quality, to that [receivers'] room," Savage said.

It's called coaching.

I have to go by what I see and hear, I saw a more mature Bryant on the field, and heard nothing.
right because i'm sure you a nobody with no access, knows more than Parcells and Savage.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
One of my friends is a die hard Browns fan and he's happy to see Bryant go. Is that enough for you?

And all this talent you speak of, if it's there then why does he drop so many passes?

For a WR all the talent in the world is completely useless if a) you can't catch the ball, and b) refuse to run the correct routes.

You're wrong about Bryant. Period. Admit it and move on.

Bryant has not had such blowups with the Browns, or if he has they have been so minor they have been shrugged off. Quarterbacks Charlie Frye and Trent Dilfer are in his corner; they praise his route-running ability, and he has been open often to have more than 120 passes thrown in his direction.

"As far as the team goes, he's got his little quirks individually, but I think he wants the team to win," Crennel said. "I don't think he's done anything to go against the team."

Let me see Frye,Dilfer, and Crennel vs your friend. I am wrong? move on.:bow:

dfense

Reaction score
Since the Browns top 2 receivers (by potential anyway) and former #1 picks have had season ending surgeries, not retaining Bryant says alot.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
noshame said:
Let me see Frye,Dilfer, and Crennel vs your friend. I am wrong? move on.:bow:

*** are you talking about?

And yes, you are wrong. That much is certain.

Alexander

Reaction score

Praising his route-running is hardly "in his corner". It is simply acknowledging his talent in that regard.

And they neglected to say that of those 120 passes thrown at him, he dropped 30. :)

It's the same old story. He was considered our best route runner even as a rookie. That didn't stop him from dropping passes and sulking when he couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting the football. Watch his games from 2003. He pouted after practically every play if he didn't get the ball or even when it wasn't a perfect pass.

Translation: He is a competitor, but he's still an imbecile who thinks he is better than he is, but he hasn't thrown a jersey at me if that's what you want to know.